walking to Illinois from Ohio - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > walking to Illinois from Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 781 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Take the normal socks too for sure.
Your feet will swet a lot and you WILL get some type Of foot fungus if you’re in the same socks a lot or back and forth between dirty ones.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just want to know one thing. Why in the world would anyone want to go to Illinois?

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cant imagine wanting to walk that far but here is a place for goggles that will fit over glasses

Capt-Itch Biker ****

Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cant imagine wanting to walk that far but here is a place for goggles that will fit over glasses

Capt-Itch Biker ****

Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
I just want to know one thing. Why in the world would anyone want to go to Illinois?
It's a walk to family.
I actually dislike Illinois...... to flat. I hate flat. -_-

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Just a thought, but check out some sites where people who have walked long distances talk about their journies. Something like the Apalacian Trail. You will find some helpful hints on what to take and how to handle long walks. I would stick close to highways, not interstates. You also want to make sure the knife you are taking is legal everywhere you go. Different states have laws regarding blade length and how you can carry the knife. You don't want a concealed weapons charge as you will probably encounter police especially if you are going to be walking through neighborhoods and knocking on stranger's doors.

I second the taking care of your feet. Maybe some walking shoes if you encounter dry conditions. Think about some sun block too. Not only for protection against sunburn but wind burn as well. I did not see gloves or mittons on your list.

Get maps and study them. Plan your trip so you will come close to State Parks, National Parks and campgrounds. The reason I say so is that not everyone is as friendly as they are in Portsmouth, and I would never let a stranger camp in my yard in a neighborhood. You might be able to find places, but you also might be spending too much time trying to find someone who will let you do so. Just thinking out loud.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Google Earth is your friend. Do a LOT of planning beforehand- picking out waypoints, and whereever possible, picking and ARRANGING for a bivouac spot- knocking on doors at random, and asking to sleep in their yard is likely to get you a spot to sleep- but it may be hard to sleep with the other inmates making noise.

As far as equipment, heat tablets and a tin can stove weigh little, but permit things like instant oatmeal, hot chocolate, Ramen noodles, etc. Have done my share of long distance strolls, would not try the coconut/peanut butter thing. Would ad a keychain sized OC pepper spray. You will be on foot. Dogs.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

See if you can find a copy of "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. I read it many years ago and enjoyed it very much. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways-Journey-into-America/dp/0316353299

He drives across America, but it's a good account of cross country travel.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 12-28-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

i would suggest waiting till spring or summer... there is a reason armies dont historical campaign in the winter. caloric intake has to be MUCH greater to travel in winter to keep the body warm and do the work.

your going to have issues with tresspassing if your cutting across private property

take a cell phone, your gonna need it.

make sure you leave a detailed route with someone and check in frequently for position reports.

doing it in the winter. totally not smart.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #20

Liked 192 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Default socks

(They're wool, they should keep me warm even when wet. Besides, I only have two pair. I guess I could take some normal socks too.)

It doesn't matter if they keep you warm...if they are wet and you keep them on your feet while the boots rub your feet...you will get raw, wrinkly skin and possibly open sores...moisture does that