walking to Illinois from Ohio
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > walking to Illinois from Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default walking to Illinois from Ohio

I am wanting to walk to Illinois from my home in Ohio here in a couple of weeks and I was wanting some advice.
My plan is to try and stay close but somewhat away from the high way and walk in the surrounding neighborhoods. I will camp at night and ask home owners for the use of their yard.

*objects that I am taking*
backpack
military sleeping bag
winter 1 man tent
self inflating mat
camping pillow
sewing kit
first aid kit
bandanna
5 water bottles (they can and will be used to store some things since the top is very wide) One of the water bottles is metal so I can boil water with it if need be.
cell phone (turned off and left for emergency calls)
50' of para cord
duck tape
space blanket
2 lighters and water proof matches (I do not own a feral rod....)
Hen and Roster knife
pocket folder
map
compass
deodorant, soap, tooth brush and tooth paste
cash

I will be wearing new (I am currently breaking them in) water proof hiking boots made of leather.
I will also be wearing long johns, jeans, a scarf, gloves and a bomber hat. For my torso I will be wearing a t-shirt, then a sporting jack and then a hoodie. I have it in layers so that I can shed for when I get hot. Oh, and I will be wearing wool socks.
*extra t-****s, longs johns, socks and jeans

I plan on eating mostly coconut shavings and peanut butter.
The coconut shavings because of the high calorie content (energy food) and the peanut butter because it has carbs, protein and fiber.
Just about the only thing I need is c vitamin and red meat. I guess I could take c pills to help my immune system.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice. Either would be greatly appreciated.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I wish you the best. It sounds like you've thought it out pretty well. It's too bad, but obviously you can't take a sidearm.

Consider an extra pair of boots if you can stand the weight, or a pair of galoshes to put on over your hiking boots.

What about the snow you will likely encounter? Have you snow camped before? It's not exactly fun. At least it isn't for me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would love to be able to take my revolver but you are absolutely right... no firearms. Since I will be asking to set up camp in peoples yards I don't think they would like it that much. That and I am going to Illinois.

I don't need galoshes the boots are already waterproof.....

What is your reasoning behind the extra pair of boots?

I actually don't mind the snow that much. The tent I am using is sealed very well and is gets... snug inside. It's also stiff and slanted well so the snow only builds up around it. Boy that would suck if I get snowed in. Well, at least snow makes a dead air space.
As long as there are no high winds I am fine. If I am camping and the wind starts to blow I will not sleep a wink. I am... I'm a little paranoid when it comes to the wind.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Your feet have to be protected and cared for. A spare pair of footwear may be necessary.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
I am wanting to walk to Illinois from my home in Ohio here in a couple of weeks and I was wanting some advice.
My plan is to try and stay close but somewhat away from the high way and walk in the surrounding neighborhoods. I will camp at night and ask home owners for the use of their yard.

*objects that I am taking*
backpack
military sleeping bag
winter 1 man tent
self inflating mat
camping pillow
sewing kit
first aid kit
bandanna
5 water bottles (they can and will be used to store some things since the top is very wide) One of the water bottles is metal so I can boil water with it if need be.
cell phone (turned off and left for emergency calls)
50' of para cord
duck tape
space blanket
2 lighters and water proof matches (I do not own a feral rod....)
Hen and Roster knife
pocket folder
map
compass
deodorant, soap, tooth brush and tooth paste
cash

I will be wearing new (I am currently breaking them in) water proof hiking boots made of leather.
I will also be wearing long johns, jeans, a scarf, gloves and a bomber hat. For my torso I will be wearing a t-shirt, then a sporting jack and then a hoodie. I have it in layers so that I can shed for when I get hot. Oh, and I will be wearing wool socks.
*extra t-****s, longs johns, socks and jeans

I plan on eating mostly coconut shavings and peanut butter.
The coconut shavings because of the high calorie content (energy food) and the peanut butter because it has carbs, protein and fiber.
Just about the only thing I need is c vitamin and red meat. I guess I could take c pills to help my immune system.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice. Either would be greatly appreciated.
A good pair of polarized ski goggles would come in handy if you encounter wind and/or snow. Snow blindness is no fun when you are out in the elements. First-aid kit should contain antibiotics, pain relievers and salt tablets (you are going to sweat a lot).

Just curious about the coconut shavings diet...doesn't excessive amounts of coconut lead to diahrrea? Dehydration will lead to muscle cramping and a very unpleasant trip...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7199 Times on 4330 Posts
Likes Given: 8774

Where in Illinois are you starting out....or ending up?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

It may sound trivial, but I would plan on changing socks at least twice a day. With new boots, snow, walking, your socks will end up wet.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Very intrigueing. May I ask why the journey? Your list is well thought out, you might want to take some foot powder or gold bond powder for your feet with all the walking. Also hand warmers are a great moral lifter!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 12-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #9

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
It may sound trivial, but I would plan on changing socks at least twice a day. With new boots, snow, walking, your socks will end up wet.
You can never ever ever have too many socks or change them too often.
Always take care of your feet.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
A good pair of polarized ski goggles would come in handy if you encounter wind and/or snow. Snow blindness is no fun when you are out in the elements. First-aid kit should contain antibiotics, pain relievers and salt tablets (you are going to sweat a lot).

Just curious about the coconut shavings diet...doesn't excessive amounts of coconut lead to diahrrea? Dehydration will lead to muscle cramping and a very unpleasant trip...
I wear glasses. -_-
Do they make ski goggles that go over glasses?

I did not know this.
The shaved coconut is for energy. It contains an insane amount of calories. My plan is to eat a pinch every hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Where in Illinois are you starting out....or ending up?
Portsmouth Ohio
Gillespie Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Very intrigueing. May I ask why the journey? Your list is well thought out, you might want to take some foot powder or gold bond powder for your feet with all the walking. Also hand warmers are a great moral lifter!
There were two items that I forgot to put on the original list.
foot powder
baby wipes (you never know)

A moral lifter? really?

@danf
They're wool, they should keep me warm even when wet. Besides, I only have two pair. I guess I could take some normal socks too.