Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Volcanic Eruptions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Volcanic Eruptions

What would you do to survive in the event that the volcano at Yellowstone erupted?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2007, 04:03 AM   #2

Stay away from the hot red stuff?? I know Yellowstone is one of the top five but I can see 2 othe top fives out of my windows (Helens and Raineer not to ment Hood and Adams....).

I would try to get to some sort of high ground, maybe find a cave? Just use my instincts I guess.

How about go to Ft Lewis and steal a tank. I know how they work could live a long time in one.

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." George S. Patton

www.sabrearms.com
www.sabrearmsairsoft.com

Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreArms View Post
Stay away from the hot red stuff?? I know Yellowstone is one of the top five but I can see 2 othe top fives out of my windows (Helens and Raineer not to ment Hood and Adams....).

I would try to get to some sort of high ground, maybe find a cave? Just use my instincts I guess.

How about go to Ft Lewis and steal a tank. I know how they work could live a long time in one.
I think that if the Yellowstone volcano erupted on the scale that it has several times in the past, that will not be enough.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #4

Thats what I am afraid of. I just wouldnt quit though. Try to get to the coast and get onto some sort of ship and get out of the area would probably work better.

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." George S. Patton

www.sabrearms.com
www.sabrearmsairsoft.com

Old 08-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Because I can see Mt. St. Helens from my livingroom window, I've given this some thought, and we are prepared for a 5 minute bug-out.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #6

Where are you located Pioneer?

www.sabrearms.com
www.sabrearmsairsoft.com

Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #7

In the event of Yellowstone, there will be as much a 3' of ash as far east as Indiana.
Poeple west of the rockies have a pretty good chance,
To the west-northwest have a fair chance,
To the south have a very poor chance,
To the east have NO chance.

You can look for no growing season anywhere in the temperate northern hemisphere

3' of ash will as far east as Indiana and Ohio will choke every river and stream, the weight will flatten every structure, especially since it will create it's own weather front with torrential rains.
The air will not be safe to breath with out filters for as long as the eruption lasts and 3 weeks to 7 months after.
This is significant because some experts believe the eruption can last for over 300 years.

From the Rockies to the eastern harbors will be a virtual dead zone for years to come until natural forces flush out the river basins.
The three to five year winter, lack of potable water, lack of sunlight and mountains of ash will keep any human life at bay...
Residual emissions from the eruption will continue to contaminate the jet stream serviced area until the eruption dissipates.

Planning is irrelevant, unless you are planning an escape route!
Planning to stay 3 to 5 years minimum on land that very well may not be able to support human life for over 100 years, AFTER the eruption stops...
Planning to stay on land that may be under siege by nature for over 100 years isn't very productive.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #8

Stop it!! You're scaring me....

Well behaved women rarely make history!

The Gun Lounge

Old 09-04-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I just plan on screaming hysterically as I jump up and down in front of a T.V. camera and berate President Bush even if he's not President anymore and FEMA for not doing something to save my sorry ass. (Hey, don't laugh. The Katrina Klowns in Louisiana have pulled in $127 billion that way.)

Old 09-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Within the past two million years, the Yellowstone supervolcano has undergone three extremely large explosive eruptions, up to 2,500 times the size of the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption. The three eruptions happened 2.1 million years ago, 1.3 million years ago, and the most recent 640,000 years ago. So based upon that schedule, it's pretty much due for the next one. Of course, the chances of it happening within our lifetimes is still pretty darn slim.