Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Virginia earthquake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would have done the same thing- get under a desk or table, then leave until I knew it was safe to return. It's just common sense and established earthquake safety procedure.

I know exactly how you feel- I have many times been the only person to leave the building at work when there was a fire alarm. I have told customers that I was leaving until the alarm was over and that they might want to leave, too. Most employees and customers just go on as usual. A few months ago we had an alarm go off at work and I dragged my closest coworker outside with me. She kept asking if we were going to get in trouble for leaving our area unmanned. I told her I could care less what they thought and where I thought they could shove it, though I think it would be very bad legally for a company to insist that their workers remain indoors during a fire alarm.

I see people at the mall sit in the food court, feeding their babies strapped into high chairs as if nothing was going on, going into interior restrooms, etc. during fire alarms.

I don't play around. I was lucky to escape a burning building once (and only because I got up right away to see why the fire alarm was going off) and so I get the heck out of anyplace the alarm sounds. Personally, I have seen how quickly a fire spreads...it is better to be safe outside by yourself than to trapped inside of a building with everyone else before you finally realize there is a real emergency.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
MGH

Last year some student set a fire in one of the microwaves in a dorm here on campus. It was put out but the hall was full of smoke and the local FD had to roll and check the building. We had to go door to door and check all the dorms I was shocked to see all the students still in their rooms.
Alarm in full swing hazy smoky hallway and they still didn't want to leave the building because "it was cold out"

Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Darwin was right!

I work with engineers. After the first few seconds I jumped under my desk. As soon as it was over I headed out the door. One of the younger engineers asked me "do you think we should?" Well, duh!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:44 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 97 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
Darwin was right!

I work with engineers. After the first few seconds I jumped under my desk. As soon as it was over I headed out the door. One of the younger engineers asked me "do you think we should?" Well, duh!!!
I don't buy into the idea that I have a bacterial ancestor that randomly and accidentally formed by itself, but there is something to be said for "survival of the fittest."

Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default scientists

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
I don't buy into the idea that I have a bacterial ancestor that randomly and accidentally formed by itself, but there is something to be said for "survival of the fittest."
In general, but not necissarily 100%, of scientific people that "believe" in evolution actually dont believe that life can occur from non life. Luis Pastur or how ever it is spelled disproved the possabilty in the late 1800s. But alas there are still some wack jobs out there. And as far as evolution goes, there have been over 10,000 irreducably complex organisms classified in the last 30ish years that all point to evolution as being nothing but an interesting pile of crap.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fire technology

While I was taking some fire tech classes to get my fire fighter 1 license, we were shown videos of a group of people sitting inside a of a room, and everyone but 1 person knew what was about to happen and were told to just act as if nothin bad was happening. so as the fire alarms went off and the room started to fill with smoke they(everyone who was in on it) acted normal, and the one person who didnt know what was happening would either get up and leave or just look at everyone else and decide to stay because eveyone else did. Statistics from study: 1 in 13 people left, 1 in 6 almost left but decided to stay, everyone else just stayed in their seats because thats what everyone else did.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Name:  earthquake.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  38.2 KB click the pic to enlarge

This was the damage at our house. Where is FEMA?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #18

C3 LoL

The Mind is like a Parachute. It only works when it's open.