be vigilant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > be vigilant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default be vigilant

I know there are many news outlets that will state with absolute authority that the recession is nearing an end, that our President has taken the necessary steps; the best brains have a great grasp of the problem, and with patience, all will be resolved. I can only offer an opinion.... I'm no better informed than most of us, I have no stairway to the future, nor do I believe I'm smarter than the next guy. But, in my heart, I think those who do or try to prepare for a bad next 18 months are on the correct track. What is the harm in saving canned food, cooking oil, gold and silver, toilet paper, aspirin, etc. if you can afford to do so. Inflation is coming. Those of us old enough to remember recall gasoline rationing in the early seventies. The havenots want what the haves have. Simple economics. Ammo could be scarce, lettuce could be scarce. I don't like to be labeled a "nut" any more than the next person, but I'm at the point that I really don't give a s...We can not spend and borrow ourselves out of a problem. That's what got us into this mess in the first place. I have granite countertops and a car in the garage that I can't afford to maintain like alot of others. In conclusion, keep your message. I agree 100%.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #2

No one's keeping you from doing this...however, I am having a very hard time understanding these types of reactions, just like the current hoarding of ammo. Guns and ammo shops are the only ones benefiting from these unfounded fears and believe me, they are doing their best to keep this going.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well, I don't think "unfounded fears" is an appropriate term. But by all means, believe and do what you want. Personally, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

G Man, did you happen to notice who's in power and what they're doing?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-29-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #4

I know who's in power. However, experience and age have taught me not to fall prey to "hypes".
By the way, to all of you hoarding ammo...when you decide to sell, (because you realize that you will never have to use 1,000,000 rounds of ammo), contact me. I'll offer you a "reasonable" price.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Experience, and age in particular, have taught me that things are changing in this country as they never have in the past. A collapse of society, or at least a revolt, are real possibilities now, not just the rantings of disenfranchised lunatic fringe elements of society. You can only push people so far before SOMETHING gives, and at least half the people are tired of "giving", and that number is growing every day. The Left knows this, and that's why Janet Napolitano issued her warning about Veterans, Pro-Lifers, and Evangelists. Food and water stockpiles make sense, as do a means of protection of family and possessions. The panic buying of weapons and ammo should indicate the seriousness with which many in this country view the current state of affairs. This has never happened before, not even before the '94 gun ban.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-29-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #6

Keep me posted when this is about to happen so that I am prepared...In the mean time, let me get another cup of coffee and read the paper.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Keep me posted when this is about to happen so that I am prepared...In the mean time, let me get another cup of coffee and read the paper.
Oh ok - I'll be sure to do that...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Oh ok - I'll be sure to do that...
Yeah. That is going to be RIGHT THERE near the top of my list of shi'ite to do.....

Remember about 6 or 8 months ago when everyone was saying there was NO WAY we would have an economical meltdown because the Powers at Be wouldn't let that happen again..... There was like 2 or 3 guys who really thought it was going to happen and the rest of us thought they were nuts.... 'Memba that??

JD

Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah. That is going to be RIGHT THERE near the top of my list of shi'ite to do.....

Remember about 6 or 8 months ago when everyone was saying there was NO WAY we would have an economical meltdown because the Powers at Be wouldn't let that happen again..... There was like 2 or 3 guys who really thought it was going to happen and the rest of us thought they were nuts.... 'Memba that??

JD
It's unfortubate JD, but some people refuse to see what's staring them in the face. I guess that's natural though - it's called "natural selection" and "survival of the fittest". I'm giving serious thought to investing in gold. With the cost of our debt up around 9 trillion $, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the dollar will soon be worthless. 2000 yrs. ago a gold coin would buy a nice toga, some undergarments and some sandals, today a gold coin will buy a nice suit, shirt, tie and shoes. Not much devaluation there!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
It's unfortubate JD, but some people refuse to see what's staring them in the face. I guess that's natural though - it's called "natural selection" and "survival of the fittest". I'm giving serious thought to investing in gold. With the cost of our debt up around 9 trillion $, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the dollar will soon be worthless. 2000 yrs. ago a gold coin would buy a nice toga, some undergarments and some sandals, today a gold coin will buy a nice suit, shirt, tie and shoes. Not much devaluation there!
There was a thread on this awhile back while you were gone, or perhaps a drift of a thread, and there was a very strong arguement made AGAINST buying gold right now because of it's extremely high price.

I don't know - I should have bought some last year when the financial sky was falling, but I didn't because I didn't think the bubble would burst. I was one of the people saying "Ah we are smarter now than they were back then ( in the 20's ) plus there is too much foreign money tied to our prosperiety now, this will NEVER happen"

I wouldn't advocate taking out a second on the house to stock the shelves and buy guns & ammo - but when we go to the store now, we buy some extra each week of canned goods and stuff that will keep. Dry foods. Mac & Cheese ( that stuff has a half life of forever ). Stuff like that.

I did a purchase of .22lr ammo because I have several .22's that I love to shoot anyways, and if need be, I think it will make great trade bait. Batteries. Got some extra ones at Costco with a coupon. Nothing extreme, but little stuff that is adding up to more than enough for a couple of weeks. *shrug*

If I'm wrong, I got plenty of household stock of stuff I can use that didn't break the bank and didn't cause me to lose the house payment. If I am right - well, the perimeter around my place will be secure.

JD