Vaccum Packing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Vaccum Packing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Vaccum Packing

I have a question on vaccum packing ammunition. Does anyone know if its safe or is there even a reason to do so. I have most of the stuff in my BOB packed that way, it reduces space and keeps things dry. I even packed my handgun that way. Ammo is the concern. Any input would be welcome. BTW I am using a "seal a meal" type system not some hudge industial packer.
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I dunno. What I do know is that there have been reports of ammo getting put through the washing machine and they still fire without a problem. I say do what you want. I do want to know what your plans are to keep stuff dry if you really do need to bug out and open the sealed stuff. Sure it will be dry when you first take stuff out, but what about after that? Your vaccum packer run on batteries? Do you plan on taking it with you and using an inverter? What happens when you run out of bag material? How do you keep the vaccum packer dry?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:25 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I do want to know what your plans are to keep stuff dry if you really do need to bug out and open the sealed stuff. Sure it will be dry when you first take stuff out, but what about after that? Your vaccum packer run on batteries? Do you plan on taking it with you and using an inverter? What happens when you run out of bag material? How do you keep the vaccum packer dry?
I think the OP won't need any of the vacuum after the ammo are vacuum packed. I am sure he won't pack them as one rather in smaller batches...say per box and no need to re-pack after opening a pack.

I think it is a good idea. Using zip lock type bags might work too but probably not as good. The advantage of zip lock is they are reusable.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I have one of these in my BOB and it is portable, cheap and you can get additional bags. The pump is a hand pump actuated and you can use it to waterproof ammo, powder, matches, food or anything else you can fit in the bags to seal.

Under $10 for the sealer and a couple of different bag sizes, gallon or quarts, containing 8 to 12 bags.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
I have one of these in my BOB and it is portable, cheap and you can get additional bags. The pump is a hand pump actuated and you can use it to waterproof ammo, powder, matches, food or anything else you can fit in the bags to seal.

Under $10 for the sealer and a couple of different bag sizes, gallon or quarts, containing 8 to 12 bags.

Jack
This is interesting. Jack and I have completely different backgrounds and yet this is the third or fourth exact product match that we have in our personal equipment.

JD

Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 AM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Now that is going to be a new addition. I have some dry bags and the o-ring containers for matches, tinder and the like. I don't know why I have not gotten the zip loc hand pump thingy yet. Maybe tomorrow. Most excellent.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 AM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Ths Zip Lock bags are a GREAT IDEA!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have those as well. Great minds think alike!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
cbw

ac-u jack for one

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

For some reason, that Ziploc pump keeps reminding me of the Austin Powers movie???

Dead Bears, the only good kind.