Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Urban Survival

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It seems like abandoned sky scrapers would be a great base of operations if you can get to them. After the first couple weeks, everybody will have fled the city, and they'd be easily defensible and filled with water. If you can get enough supplies for you and yours to last a while into a skyscraper, you could shut down the elevators (if they're running) and turn the stairwells into traps. Worst comes to worst and all you have to do is sit at the top with a shovel. And most are relatively fireproof nowadays.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 08-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default When Hell comes to town......

I think that if you can survive the first wave then another 120 days, most of the masses will have died from in fighting or starvation. A well trained dog is a must......Dogs can go longer with out food....... Teach them to be alert. I once had a cat that would growl at people that were walking on the road in front of my home...The bad part about La. being the sportsman paridise is that they are polluting the whole damn state...... The big money makers are poisoning every thing......Wait, wait, wait,,,,,,,,,,,

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
It seems like abandoned sky scrapers would be a great base of operations if you can get to them. After the first couple weeks, everybody will have fled the city, and they'd be easily defensible and filled with water. If you can get enough supplies for you and yours to last a while into a skyscraper, you could shut down the elevators (if they're running) and turn the stairwells into traps. Worst comes to worst and all you have to do is sit at the top with a shovel. And most are relatively fireproof nowadays.
you know i was thinking that exact same thing. using some office building as a fort of sorts. but again i dont think citys will be that well abandoned. even after awhile the people that know no better will still try to stick around or come back to it. on the other hand you have predators that wont leave. why would they in a prey rich environment. even the simple fact or breaking into vaults for shiny objects would still be in their interests.

i think if you could pull it off without making it obvious that you exist there it would be a good idea. but if it drew attention it would be a death trap. "you have things, i want those things." it would be just another challange.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
you know i was thinking that exact same thing. using some office building as a fort of sorts. but again i dont think citys will be that well abandoned. even after awhile the people that know no better will still try to stick around or come back to it. on the other hand you have predators that wont leave. why would they in a prey rich environment. even the simple fact or breaking into vaults for shiny objects would still be in their interests.

i think if you could pull it off without making it obvious that you exist there it would be a good idea. but if it drew attention it would be a death trap. "you have things, i want those things." it would be just another challange.
Interesting place to devote some time to wargaming.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #25

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
A well trained dog is a must......Dogs can go longer with out food....... Teach them to be alert.
And if times gets hard, boiled dog makes a fine meal!

Too many mountainman movies, I guess.....

The skyscraper idea has merits in that you will control the high ground, but a fire at the base, a well placed bomb or earthquake makes you vulnerable. Also, water will be available only on the lower floors as the system drains down. You will find yourself carrying water up several flights of stairs after only a few weeks.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Dune, if you come by, we'll look for the well head here. There's kind of a cistern right outside the back door, but no equipment or anything.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #27

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
And if times gets hard, boiled dog makes a fine meal!

Too many mountainman movies, I guess.....

The skyscraper idea has merits in that you will control the high ground, but a fire at the base, a well placed bomb or earthquake makes you vulnerable. Also, water will be available only on the lower floors as the system drains down. You will find yourself carrying water up several flights of stairs after only a few weeks.
I could never eat a dog. Yeah, if I was going for a skyscraper, it would have to be made out of flame retardant materials. And I was assuming in a post apocalyptic world that nobody would have enough bombs to take down the building, maybe to just blow me out of this earth, but I felt like anybody with that sort of firepower would be after supplies and therefore couldn't just destroy everything. I'm sure a pulley system for the water would be easy enough to make, maybe up the stairwell. And all the sprinklers and plumbing and water fountains would probably last long enough for a group using it sparingly. Though I would probably try to get all the water out of the surrounding area, too.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 08-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I could never eat a dog. Yeah, if I was going for a skyscraper, it would have to be made out of flame retardant materials. And I was assuming in a post apocalyptic world that nobody would have enough bombs to take down the building, maybe to just blow me out of this earth, but I felt like anybody with that sort of firepower would be after supplies and therefore couldn't just destroy everything. I'm sure a pulley system for the water would be easy enough to make, maybe up the stairwell. And all the sprinklers and plumbing and water fountains would probably last long enough for a group using it sparingly. Though I would probably try to get all the water out of the surrounding area, too.
The ideal would be a building with fire suppression water tanks on the roof. If you can get to those and control the valves...you would have THOUSANDS of gallons of water at your disposal. Sam with a hotel or condo that has a swimming pool on upper floors. Then a filter for the water would be neccessary, but not hard to get. I have three bottles that filter out chemical, and biological matter...that is supposed to last for years of use. But...I would still boil and filter. Either way, I have bought replacement bottles (I am big on redundancy).

I don't like the idea pof being trapped into a location without a warren of rabbit holes to bolt through. Though a BIG advantage of a high rise is places to run within your AO (area of operation). I would suppose that is more of a product of my being a country-raised man, and preferring the open desert and mountains.

Face it...any smart, motivated man can make things work to his advantage as long as he doesn't panic and piss away his ability to think.

Oh yeah....dogs ARE yummy. If you ever eat a burrito or a taco anywhere south of the border purchased from a street vendor, you are probably eating perro. Just sayin'

Old 08-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Interesting place to devote some time to wargaming.
hell i do all the time on the way to work. another way of thinking? sewer systems and subways. my old home had both. not to mention hidden concrete underground buildings where they used to put together nukes.

i guess thats where that AR or AK preference comes from. its all depends on your style of fighting. out in the open and rural areas id rather have an AR. but my SHTF would require alot of room to room and shooting through multible walls to get what i wanted.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Marine, pick up a couple of Silcock keys. if you're pretty much staying urban, they could be a life saver.

They're for opening those faucets without handles that you see on the outside of commercial buildings.

Link: http://www.google.com/search?q=silcock+keys&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams