Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Urban Survival

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I would think water in the urban areas would be the big thing. If you just use it for drinking then you could store-up some if you had the room. Washing and flushing take alot of water. A lot of urban areas have a lake or river(thats why they were originally started there) but accessing that water would put you at a high risk. Predators often hunt near water sources(I know I do). I would think the predators in this case would follow you to your den. That could be a very bad thing. c3shooter is right fire is a very real threat also.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Within pretty short order water in an urban setting WILL be a problem. One can assume that the political machine will have water sources locked down tight as a drum (for their own use and comfort).

A bathtub full of water will last only a few days..MAYBE a week if it is used ONLY for drinking. A water heater, drained quickly can contain as much as 50 gallons of water IF it isn't old a half full of sediment. Containers will be precious. If you can quickly and safely raid water heaters...you will extend your chances. Remember MOST city dwellers don't have general "practical" knowledge of how a lot of things work. To them, being handy means knowing how to text their apartment manager for a repair or maintenance man.

I am lucky to have a pretty new well on my property with an old fashioned hand pump. The hand pump taps into a line in my basement by my wash tub by the washer and dryer. All I have to do is turn on two cut off valves, prime it and BINGO...fresh water. But alas, I live out yonder. In a few years...we will be living further out yonder.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

We now live in a town of 2,300. I really don't know anybody here yet other than a few neighbors and shopkeepers. So at this point, mum's the word about any preps at all.

I hope I'll be able to find some like minded people before SHTF, but I am being circumspect in the meantime and keeping quiet.

We live in a wood framed and wood sided house built in 1901 and fire is a major concern for me as well as lack of bullet resistant walls.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #14

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Some cement board and sand bags placed around windows and areas you may want fortified would work well. You can build a safe room under your home with cinder block filled with sand or cement and it can be done on the cheap as you have time and money.
You may even be able to scrounge the materials at no cost!

If your place was built in 1901, CA; I'll bet there is a well head on the property somewhere. I'd look around. Perhaps an out building that is now a shed could have been a well house.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #15

my father who still lives in the mistake by the lake, catches and barrels rain water. little by little at a time. but rain in ohio isnt exactly a scarce occurance. plus he has 2 bathtubs and a whirlpool/half ass hottub in the basement.

this is why i usually run into problems with others talking about SHTF. when i hear "what would you do when blah de blah de blah?" my usual response is "hunt people." i dont mean like drive my happy ass out to BFE and raid one of you guys. i mean ambushing a truckload of jackasses that are essentually raiding for me. they want to ransack houses and kill people for water and food, thats fine cause ill be taking note and following silently and when i think you have enough for me, well karmas a b*tch. i wont hurt another innocent human being for what they have prepaired for, but im not going to waste my ammo to save him in those days. i guess you could say im evil by proxy.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Putting in a 550 gallon plastic cistern connected to each down spout isn't a bad idea. And they're pretty cheap! Plastic Water Tanks (Underground)

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Statisticaly speaking...

Statisticaly speaking with all the sickness, infections, violence, and other such things that will get people killed, if SHTF on national level, completely destroying the countries electical grids, 7 in 8 people would be dead by the end of the month because they would have no idea about general health care out side of hospitals, how to aquire food aside from super markets, and where safe water can be found other than the refrigerator. Annnd the violence of trying to survive. Personally I think people along some form of natural water source will have a higher chance/numbers of surviving because the lack of water will kill the most people. Soo i guess what I am saying is, if you can make it a month or 2 then imo you should be... well almost fine.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessdragon View Post
Statisticaly speaking with all the sickness, infections, violence, and other such things that will get people killed, if SHTF on national level, completely destroying the countries electical grids, 7 in 8 people would be dead by the end of the month because they would have no idea about general health care out side of hospitals, how to aquire food aside from super markets, and where safe water can be found other than the refrigerator. Annnd the violence of trying to survive. Personally I think people along some form of natural water source will have a higher chance/numbers of surviving because the lack of water will kill the most people. Soo i guess what I am saying is, if you can make it a month or 2 then imo you should be... well almost fine.
or it would weed out all the weak ones leaving the completely dangerous left to do whatever they want to "survivors"

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Relativity

Danger is relative, just because someone survives doesnt necissarily mean they have done bad things for bad reasons, they could have been preppers, you never know what to expect from anyone so evade and escape when ever possible is the best way to not die.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessdragon View Post
Danger is relative, just because someone survives doesnt necissarily mean they have done bad things for bad reasons, they could have been preppers, you never know what to expect from anyone so evade and escape when ever possible is the best way to not die.
Agreed, which I have mentioned several times. Avoid fights when you can, don't risk your safety on ego or stupidity. Make the fight at a time of your choosing if you can.