Urban Survival
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Urban Survival

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CA357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19,871
Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Urban Survival

While some may have a remote location if SHTF, many do not and for various reasons will be in an urban or suburban area if SHTF.

Use this thread to post theories, suggestions and questions about urban survival ideas.

__________________
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 08-19-2011 at 11:43 PM.
CA357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dunerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 8,481
Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I expect the urban areas to become combat zones. Those who are unprepared will roam the streets looking for anything to eat, shelter, weapons; it will be like Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man"!

To survive, you will have to have more than just plenty of guns and ammo. You will have to have a defense system. Razor wire, Spot lights, generator and plenty of fuel, water source (Preferabley a well), water purification, food storage of adequate size such that the starving hoards move into the rural areas, leaving you alone.

You are probably looking at at least a one year wait for starvation to kindle the desire in those who linger in the urban areas to move out to the burbs and rural areas. You will always have to be on guard and have multiple watch standers. Your complement of personnel will have to be at least twelve to protect your assets. Rotating shifts to watch each point of access 24 hours/day, people to man the gererators throughout the night, personnel assigned to cook, clean, reload, etc.

It won't be a fun time and few will survive it.

__________________

People get the government they deserve.

dunerunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
usmcprofessional's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 249
Default

man unless you have that many family members living with you, you wont have that many friends. keep in mind us city folk have a much MUCH different look on life than country folk. there wont be baning together or getting along. i vision the stages would be denial, unrest, mass chaos/exodus, piliaging/foraging/then survival.

as for putting up razor wire and spotlights...im pretty sure theres zoning laws against that.

__________________

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

usmcprofessional is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CHLChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 2,523
Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
as for putting up razor wire and spotlights...im pretty sure theres zoning laws against that.
I'm sure he didn't mean setting up San Quentin now, but rather being prepared. I'm sure if you have the materials, you'd have the time to set up such a perimeter. It's not like you'd have to go to work.

There also would no longer be zoning laws.
__________________
.45acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Spl, .380 acp, 22lr
12 gauge, .223/5.56x45mm, 30-30 Winchester


2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
CHLChris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArizonaLawman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florence,AZ
Posts: 463
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I expect the urban areas to become combat zones. Those who are unprepared will roam the streets looking for anything to eat, shelter, weapons; it will be like Charlton Heston in "The Omega Man"!

To survive, you will have to have more than just plenty of guns and ammo. You will have to have a defense system. Razor wire, Spot lights, generator and plenty of fuel, water source (Preferabley a well), water purification, food storage of adequate size such that the starving hoards move into the rural areas, leaving you alone.

You are probably looking at at least a one year wait for starvation to kindle the desire in those who linger in the urban areas to move out to the burbs and rural areas. You will always have to be on guard and have multiple watch standers. Your complement of personnel will have to be at least twelve to protect your assets. Rotating shifts to watch each point of access 24 hours/day, people to man the gererators throughout the night, personnel assigned to cook, clean, reload, etc.

It won't be a fun time and few will survive it.
I tend to agree for the most part. You WILL see the most predation and depravity in the cities first. I can guarantee there will be wholesale panic, slaughter, and criminality of the first order.

I am fairly certain you will have huge body counts when the "street tough" scumbags literally wipeout the cotton-candy and lollipop hip cool cats who have NO clue that violence exists in the world, and who will assume that the police, who are to them, nothing more than a nuisance when they have to deal with them over a traffic matter, will be right there to protect them. Scratch the cool kids.

Moving on to some of the tighter knit neighborhoods with long standing family ties and friendships. They might last a little longer, but it won't be long until those neighborhood ties fracture and break totally once the water isn't running and neighbor A has better resources than neighbor B, and resentments grow when neighbor B has to finally say "No, I can't spare anymore". Neighbor A will rally some of the others and take by force what neighbor B has wisely rationed, but not been realist enough to have more than a pistol and fifty rounds of ammo with which to defend it.

Then forays into more suburban areas whill start. Say for example...Phoenix people will start moving into Tempe, and Scottsdale. Mesa will also be a bucket of crap EXCEPT for the mormon neighborhoods. The mormons will be prepared and able to defend what they have. So pockets of relative security will exist. For the most part...it will be ugly.

After a while...the smaller much more rural towns will be probed. A LOT of those probing will die, and those who escape will bring back tales of crazy rednecks...etc...

The city will be NO place to be unless you have a LOT of money now, and a LOT of security as dunerunner has already mentioned.

So, how does one prepare?

Look like a non-target. Make your place look as though it has already been thoroughly ransacked. Trash in your yard. Old clothing spread about. Heck, even a derelict car stripped in your driveway as camoflage for the car you have that runs. If you have a genny...run it sparingly. Food had better be WELL hidden in small caches, so that if some is found, ti will only be a small portion of what you have stored. Possibly a shed or out building with a false floor, or a closet with a false back. Maybe even a hot water heater that has been "cored" so that it is hollow and filled with food stuffs.

Hide things in unlikely containers and unlikely places. If the poswer is out...what good is a television? Not much...you can store a lot in the cabinet of a TV.

I am just getting started....any other ideas?
__________________
"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time...I will make your birth certificate a worthless document!"

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 08-19-2011 at 07:18 PM.
ArizonaLawman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
usmcprofessional's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 249
Default

hah, i know. but i figured doing all that would be an attention getter. and you as little of that as much as possible.

i use to be a hoodlum myself i grew up in inner city cleveland ohio. like detroit lite. my vision of "urban" is the neighborhoods i ran through growing up. houses so close if they had surround sound you could tell what movie they were watching. there were no yards to speek of, and everything is paved. so when it comes to SHTF the best defense i can think of is what would 18yo me do? personally a house with people looking like there is life still in it im going to get in there some way or another.

with no law whatsoever i could most definatly see people immideatly starting to go through houses and raid what they want very quickly once people actually relize SHTF. and it would only be you to defend since everyone else is too worried about themselves to help your sorry ass. maybe if you lived in a dawsons creek leave it to beaver neighborhood you would have some help. but all the populated areas ive lived in its been "hey neighbor! leave me the hell alone and ill pretend you dont exist."

__________________

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."


Last edited by usmcprofessional; 08-19-2011 at 07:23 PM.
usmcprofessional is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ArizonaLawman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florence,AZ
Posts: 463
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
hah, i know. but i figured doing all that would be an attention getter. and you as little of that as much as possible.

i use to be a hoodlum myself i grew up in inner city cleveland ohio. like detroit lite. my vision of "urban" is the neighborhoods i ran through growing up. houses so close if they had surround sound you could tell what movie they were watching. there were no yards to speek of, and everything is paved. so when it comes to SHTF the best defense i can think of is what would 18yo me do? personally a house with people looking like there is life still in it im going to get in there some way or another.

with no law whatsoever i could most definatly see people immideatly starting to go through houses and raid what they want very quickly once people actually relize SHTF. and it would only be you to defend since everyone else is too worried about themselves to help your sorry ass. maybe if you lived in a dawsons creek leave it to beaver neighborhood you would have some help. but all the populated areas ive lived in its been "hey neighbor! leave me the hell alone and ill pretend you dont exist."

Gives you a lot to think about doesn't it?
__________________
"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time...I will make your birth certificate a worthless document!"
ArizonaLawman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,155
Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

I miss the Memphis food, but if SHTF, i would much rather be here in BFE Mississippi.

__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dennis845's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NE,TN
Posts: 273
Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I'll move back to Illinois. As we all know, it is a felony for a private citizen to walk around with a gun. I'll feel all comfy and warm knowing I'm safe because I'm protected by anti-second amendment zealots.

Well, maybe a bad idea! Here in the country we're pretty much self sufficient and will know the urbanites are coming. Having adequate property, no one will hear my generator running unless they drive up my gated road. Then they would have to contend with the booby traps, dogs and sniper fire.

I'm as compassionate as the next person, however, when you start sharing what you have stored and prepared for with anyone, you risk having it taken by force. So, it's best not to let anyone other than your family know what you have and where. Someone here mentioned storing food / water / survival items in lots. That's an excellent idea I'll do when it becomes apparent things will get out of control.

I would think during a SHTF event, auto fuel would become scarce and it would become difficult to reach allot of the country settings. That, and hopefully the zombies will be getting thinned out the further they get to me. When and if they reach me, it's zombiecide time.

Believe it or not, they're many man made and natural events that could trigger such a scenario, to many to even list. Imagine a hurricane Katrina aftermath on a national / world scale. Chances are almost certain you will eventually succumb to wide spread chaos and anarchy, but you're not going to lay down and give up.

I would also suspect martial law would be in effect. That may keep a portion of the urbanites confined to the concrete jungles. When the President makes an appearance on TV and calls for calm, and everything is fine, and we're doing everything we can do. It's already to late and you had best be at a relatives in the country.

__________________
I think, therefore I am...
Dennis845 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,064
Liked 9391 Times on 4048 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Default

Plywood and lumber to reinforce doors and windows. Water and food for you. What do you have for fire suppresion/extinguishing?- fire is going to be a BIG problem in metro areas- deliberate, careless or stupid, a fire will still push you out.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Urban Camo Duracoat myutahccw General Rifle Discussion 1 02-21-2011 08:51 PM
Pictures of Urban Decay alsaqr The Club House 3 01-14-2011 08:44 PM
Bug out Videos.....urban survival. Bello Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 1 11-25-2010 05:59 AM
Urban GTFO Plan rozzysean Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 9 07-12-2010 01:35 AM
Hunting in urban area - What's safest ScottA Hunting Forum 8 07-08-2010 10:32 PM