Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Urban GTFO Plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Urban GTFO Plan

A few weeks ago, the main aqueduct into Boston broke. We were operating off reserves and boiling water for three days. This really got me thinking. Never mind the obvious need in the case of a total breakdown in society, with our infrastructure falling down around us and things being what they are in cities, I need to be able to get my wife and I out of town in a hurry, on foot if necessary.

I'm in the process of formulating my evacuation plan. No matter what happens, step 1 is to get the heck out of Boston. My neighborhood could turn into a warzone very easily, but luckily, I live in an area where I have a number of excellent route on foot out of the city that avoid "danger zones." I can be in limousine liberal suburbs in 5 miles. I want to get out and get out fast before things go totally ape-sh$# From there, depending on the situation, I head south to family in rural Connecticut or north to New Hampshire. Connecticut is the first choice because my parents house, land, and town offer good long term survival prospects if it comes down to it.

Either way, I'm concerned with mobility and stealth. My wife and I would potentially need to cover 120 miles on foot. We are both physically fit. We would also bring the dogs. They are both excellent rabbit and squirrel hunters. The goal is to move about 20 miles per day. No matter what, we need to get the hell of densely populated Eastern Mass.

I know the basics that I should have, like a compass, maps, water purification, a firestarter, etc. I'm looking for specific supplies that meet the needs for very mobile bugout. Obviously, any supplies that are useful long term should be included weight permitting.

In addition to the standards, this what I'm thinking so far:

Shelter - Bivouac bags - light and easier to camouflage
Arms -

.357, plenty of ammo, both magnum and .38 special. I think this is a good choice because .38 ammo will be easier to find down the road than .45.

.22 Break barrel Air Rifle - great for quiet small game hunting. It also looks like a real rifle, especially to yankees who don't know crap about rifles.

A big walking stick/Club

KA-Bar

Food -

Crackers, peanut butter, chocolate, jerky, nuts/trail mix, power bars/protein bars, dried fruit. All of these things are are high energy foods that don't require cooking and can be consumed on the go. This saves the weight of cooking gear and they are easy to carry.

This is what I have so far. Suggestions are welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #2

Liked 269 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I dont consider what I have and use for up to 7 to 10 day backpacking trips with the oldest grandboy and friends as a BOB (Bug Out Bag). However, my set up probably at least meets and possibly exceeds what some would have for a 120 + mile trek. This topic of BOB's has been overly posted about on this forum in the past but the info is good in these posts from the past here. You could read through these older posts and pick up alot of good info for your gear.

I've been revamping my gear for the last several months acquiring higher- tech, lighter gear for this year and for the next few years to come.

Without going into every part or piece of gear you may want or need, here is a short list of some of the items I have and consider basic essentials for longer than weekend backpacking treks. It might help you with some ideas or decision making of your own.

Backpack Osprey Aether 70 Pack at REI.com

Tent http://www.rei.com/product/761895

Multi-Fuel Stove MSR DragonFly Backpacking Stove at REI.com

JetBoil Stove Jetboil Flash Cooking System at REI.com

Lightweight Titanium Cookset REI Ti Ware Nonstick Titanium Cookset at REI.com

Water Filtration MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter at REI.com

Iodine & Taste Neutrilizer Tabs http://rei.com/product/406032

32 oz. wide mouth water bottle (works with MSR water filter) REI Nalgene Everyday Wide-Mouth Loop-Top Water Bottle - 32 fl. oz. at REI.com

Water Transport http://www.rei.com/product/782974

Fire Starting http://rei.com/product/737335

Backpack hydration reservoir http://rei.com/product/733683

If your going to be treking through areas to your destination where there are bears http://www.rei.com/product/768902

I pack all this stuff and quite a bit more to the point of total self sufficiency including food stuffs fairly well supplemented with fishing and eating off the land for 7 days in that Osprey backpak listed at top. My total backpack weight is just a tad under 45 lbs. with just the MSR multi fuel stove and (2) 20 oz fuel bottles. With a second person more weight can be packed and shared and possibly reduce pack weight to even less than the 45 lbs. per person.

Last edited by mrm14; 06-10-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

120 miles is a helluva long way to cover in the event of a SHTF situation, and it may be unrealistic if you're doing it on foot.

1. Have a bug-out location that is away from where the mayhem is likely to be.

2. Bug-out bags can help keep you alive for a few days. There's no shortage of info on bobs, so I leave it to you to figure out what to pack.

3. If your BOL is not within two or three days' walk, establish an intermediary BOL where you can resupply, rest, maybe send a message on ahead, etc.

4. A dirt bike will really speed up your trip. Bring extra gas.

5. Don't ever leave home unless you are in mortal danger if you stay there.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7572 Times on 3299 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Sean- you are going to get real thirsty doing 120 miles with no water. Canteen and a filter. Hard to hike with a bad case of dysentery. If I were in Boston, I would head for the harbor, and find out what ain't locked all that well. A good mountain bike is a lot faster than foot, carries more, and is exceptionally mobile. Pack a flat repair kit.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #5

Best thing to spend time and money on are skills and minimalist camping concepts.

If you are planning a 100+ mile trek, every ounce counts. Being able to build a stove from a soup can and make a fire from scraps of wood are far better than fancy gear. Living off the land has historically been the key to survival in tough times.

If I were in Boston, and things got ugly, I'd head to sea. Tough place but I'd rather my chances there. Any atoll makes a place to live for a bit.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Whatever you put in your pack(s), if you plan on going overland route, don't forget to put toilet paper in you bag. I would also suggest Immodium AD, as diareah is never a good thing and could stop you DEAD in your tracks.
Water purification tabs, some thing to boil water IN, and freeze dried foods(very light wieght). Shelter(your choice) EXTRA SOCKS!!
I would load your packs with every thing you will be taking,add 5 more pounds of wieght, and go hiking/camping using what you have. You will find out what you need to add or remove and how far you are physically capable of travelling.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #7

The first thing I would do is look at thru hiker sites on the internet.
These are the people that hike long distances for months at a time.
There are all kinds of discussions on gear. Get the lightest gear you can.
Some guys packs are only 30-35 lbs and they won't need a food resupply
for a week to ten days. Although they aren't carrying ammo.
Ounces = pounds, pounds = pain.
Pack for twice the amount of time as you think it will take.
You may have to hole up for a day or two, routes may be blocked, or you may have overestimated your own ablity. 20 miles is a rare feat for even an experienced hiker on an established trail.
Get a good fitting, well made, light weight pack. Go to an outdoor store and have them measure and fit one to you and your wife. Get really good boots and make sure they are broken in and water proofed before you have to bug out. Take care of your feet and they will take care of you.
If you are going to carry a .38 or .357 pistol I'd also suggest a lever action rifle in that caliber also. Better range for hunting and defense.
Go camping with just your pack out gear for a weekend or two you'll find out what works.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My first option after having to avoid the highways would not be to go on foot. I would invest in an off-road vehicle (or two) that would allow me to cover more ground more quickly and to carry more supplies. I think I'd prefer to use two (one for each person), but if you can travel with fewer supplies, a single two-seater would save fuel. The biggest thing would be to have a destination in mind and know that you had sufficient supplies to get there and that fresh provisions would be available there. A GPS and satellite phone would be a couple of good things to have, almost as important as weapons and ammo.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

All good advice. I suggest that you skip the air rifle. You'd be better off with something in .223/5.56. A KelTec SU16 is foldable, so it's packable and pretty easy to conceal. Plus, the ammunition is pretty light.

If you're going to show a long gun, have a decent one and be prepared to use it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 561 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

If you have allergies, a stash of Zyrtek and some Epi-Pens could be a life saver. I have a cousin who will die if stung by a bee if he doesn't have that Epi-pen handy.