Trusting others
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Trusting others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Trusting others

In a violent SHTF how would you allow other people into your camp / fort /house if your shelter is rearmed large or is a small group or for lack of better word posse how would you develop roles do trade what would you currency be etc ... I'm just looking to what others think on this topic

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308 View Post
In a violent SHTF how would you allow other people into your camp / fort /house if your shelter is rearmed large or is a small group or for lack of better word posse how would you develop roles do trade what would you currency be etc ... I'm just looking to what others think on this topic
Hey, Smith! This subject has come up before, but I don't think as its' own topic! If I understand your concern, it is that people joining you will not be similarly equipped, either having more food, equipment, people, etc. and will create an unequal drain on your natural resources of the area immediately around you.

I think you have to view whatever disaster scenario creates your SHTF problem and determine your plan first, and then you can set forth an inclusion/exclusion plan, because the disaster determines your abilities. What do I mean? well, a natural disaster such as Earthquake, Tornado, Tropical Storm or such may only last a few hours to a few days. If you have food and medical supplies for a week, you can include, feed and treat almost every person you come across, as well as include them in your rescue and resettlement efforts. Gas in vehicles does not have to be conserved, gardens do not have to be started, ammo and food stores most likely do not have to be guarded and most people are simply worried about shelter and medical treatment. As soon as the disaster is over, I might go so far as to ask those you helped (you got contact info during the disaster) to make a small donation to your "Rescue Service" to help you resupply for the next time such a disaster strikes the area.

In a man-made disaster such as war, invasion, collapse of government, nuclear disaster, terrorist attack, or any situation where the media is blacked out or not cooperating, the length of the disaster may be days or weeks or 10,000 years. Also the scope of the disaster may be local or nationwide, meaning that it may at some point become prudent to move your group to a safer location after more information is gathered and vetted. In these situations, everything mentioned above may have to be done, which means setting up effective security and protecting the supplies we have as well as gathering that which is left behind or that which can be gathered or hunted naturally. Vehicles will be "grounded" except for extreme emergencies as gasoline will be unavailable. One of the first orders of business will be to secure horses and make tack. This will allow longer range to hunt and gather, as well as secure a wider area. Gardens will need to be started from saved seeds as soon as a safe area is found to settle. Shelters will need to be secured or built.

And after all this work is done and you are prepared to ride out the disaster, here comes four people you have never seen before in your life. Easiest thing to do: Knife them (No, you don't waste ammunition on someone that isn't shooting at you). But your religious upbringing just won't let you do it, and they look ragged and hungry, so the question becomes, "What do I do with them? They will cut my food reserves in half!" You are irresponsible if you let them eat your family's food or bring disease into your kids' lives. So we have to come to the great human response: Compromise.

If the newcomers check out to be not carrying diseases that are contagious and they are healthy enough to work, you make a deal to bring them into your "Clan." Since you and yours have everything and they have nothing, they agree to follow your orders and do what you say or leave. This is a survival situation and no longer a Democracy or Republic - it needs a leader and you are it. They gather wood, help tend the garden, hunt, gather food, help maintain buildings, help secure the compound, and in return you provide tools, nails, chemicals, gas and leadership to secure other supplies outside the compound. As more people arrive, the same rules apply. Everyone lives as a tight family unit dedicated to the Clan. They only share that which they helped create and they only own that which they walked in with. Everything found on Raiding Parties is distributed at your whim and used as best benefits the clan. You are the Law, the Sheriff, the Mayor, the Executioner; anyone that doesn't like it is free to abandon their house and head on down the road!

This is one reason it is good to start out with two to five or more friends that share your beliefs as when the SHTF you can all gather at a predetermined meeting place and start your clan early. It keeps money from being wasted in useless repetition, such as three people all having the same reloading setup. Or if one person has a drill press and table saw, he can be counted on to bring it and others can be assigned generators and such. Four friends and their families can be the beginning of a fantastic clan and provide a support base when unknown people start showing up and being accepted into your new clan.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I'd sooner take in someone who had no supplies but I knew and trusted them well than accept someone who brings a lot of supplies who I don't know well or at all.

Trust counts for a lot.

That doesn't mean different groups can't work together toward a common effort or barter, etc. as long as we all go to our respective homes afterward.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8853 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

It has been said by a better writer than I will ever be:

Farnham's Freehold Trading Post & Restaurant, Bar
Free Kittens
Any book accepted as cash
Warning:
Ring Bell. Wait. Advance with your hands up. Stay on path. Avoid mines.
We lost 3 customers last week.
We can't afford to loose you.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I would concider helping them (if they agreed to help us in exchange) but I would sleep with one eye open and one hand on a gun.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Having done a little informal research in my psychology class, groups of people no more than 20 with similar backgrounds and interests, but enough variation to be a well rounded group is what I would consider to be ideal.

This is a standard also for today's military. Look at how many are in a platoon. At full strength ~30-35, broken down into 3 squads ranging from 9-14 guys depending on the numbers in the unit.

This was also a standard thing with native Americans, once a tribe got too big it would split, with family units being anywhere from 9-15 or so people, several family units in a tribe, tribe numbering a couple hundred to around 1000 in some extremes before splitting up. (sounds like companies and battalions to me).

In a survival situation, SHTF, Zed Apocalypse, natural disaster, etc. I would try to stick with my first paragraph up there. A small group, 10-15 or so, of trusted people, with similar backgrounds and well equipped should be able to handle most things thrown their way, at least until in the worst case if they start to take losses.

Newest Threads