Trioxene solid fuel tablets.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Trioxene solid fuel tablets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Trioxene solid fuel tablets.

I've heard about these things for making wilderness fires. Are they good sources for starting a fire, or would I be wasting my time?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #2

Liked 173 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 145

They work good for fire starters but were better for heating C RATS, just don't breath the fumes. You will find out what CS gas is , if used in metal cans , put a little salt on lighted heat tab to kill the gas effect. The DI's taught us that at PI & I still use them when I go hunting to heat up my coffee. Mickey

Old 04-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich1377usmc
They work good for fire starters but were better for heating C RATS, just don't breath the fumes. You will find out what CS gas is , if used in metal cans , put a little salt on lighted heat tab to kill the gas effect. The DI's taught us that at PI & I still use them when I go hunting to heat up my coffee. Mickey
Cool, thanks for the info. About how long do they burn for?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #4

Liked 173 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Never really timed them but will boil a 3/4 full canteen cup , also cooked a lot of ramein noodles with them back in the corps, if you go for the heat tab use, a small mushroom can just cut air slits in the sides. Mickey

Old 04-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Well, there are two main solid fuel ration heating tabs- the old one was hexamine- usually round, white. It produced some rather nasty combustion products, including formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide.

New one is Trioxane. Pale blue, usually a flat bar. Somewhat better health wise.

Both make damned good fire starters. How long they burn depends on how big a chunk of the bar you use- but about 3 minutes. In sunlight you may have trouble seeing the flame- VERY pale blue, but HOT.

Shop around on amazon you may score some for a good price, but check shipping CAREFULLY- HAZMAT, ya know.

About 10 years back I scored a CASE of the trioxane for $5.00, have been using ever since. Good starter for fireplace or campfire, and if you just want a hot cuppa or warm a can of beanie-weenies, it will do it.

When ration heating, does best if you take a small can (like the little cans of pineapple) cut out one end. punch a few holes around the other end on the side, place tab inside can, open end up, light tab, set pot or canteen cup on top of can.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

dango Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, I'll have to get myself hooked up with these. From my research they seem like a gazillion times easier to use than finding natural tinder.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3211 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 18528

Tea-candles ..! Cheap at the dollar store and will burn long enough to start any fire even in the rain...!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

triox is great.

Available at your local Military Surplus stores. (If ya have one)

The 3 pack of road flares are what I use. cheap, small, and HOT! They'll get a fire going in wet wood.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a few boxes of Triox in my BOB. I first encountered them in Grunt School at Camp Geiger. The instructors threw a couple cases in the middle of the squad bay and said "Have at it."
We used them to warm up canteen cups of water, since we were there from January to February. That's about all they were good for cooking-wise. You sure don't want to roast a hot dog over those things!
I actualyl went out and bought a canteen stand for my canteen cup. It's an aluminum sleeve with holes in one side and a cutout in the other. It slips over the bottom of your canteen cup, and you set a Triox tab underneath (keep it on its foil wrapper). Light, and it funnels all the heat right up to the bottom of the cup.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

I have a small light Canadian army surplus folding stove designed around triox bars.

Winston Churchill