Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Trespassing in a SHTF scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Default Trespassing in a SHTF scenario

Okay, so S has HTF. You need supplies. You decide to explore some abandoned dwellings. Of course you're armed (well, presumably), so you look like a threat. Is there a way to convey to people that you're there peacefully? Do you arrive on the property with a white flag? Now you're ASSuming it's abandoned. But maybe the residents fostered that look to discourage looters. When you enter the house, do you call out your intentions? Offer assurance that you mean no harm and will leave if occupied? Or do you want to remain quiet and not call attention to yourself? Likewise, what about when others come to your property? Would you blast at anything rummaging through your kitchen, or would you announce your presence? I can see a lot of unneeded incidents because of this. Should us 'good folk' have a code or a signal for this?

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

My take on it you are entering the residence to take their supplies. You are either a threat or one more unwanted mouth to feed.
If they haven't made it clear that you are welcome you shouldn't be there.

You come to my property you had better be one of the Victoria secrets models or I'm gonna take your head off and scavenge what you have.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
My take on it you are entering the residence to take their supplies. You are either a threat or one more unwanted mouth to feed.
If they haven't made it clear that you are welcome you shouldn't be there.

You come to my property you had better be one of the Victoria secrets models or I'm gonna take your head off and scavenge what you have.
You're forgetting one thing. "Misdirection".
What if this "Victoria secret model" is just using her looks to have you drop your guard.

I think it would be best to have her comply with a strip search and pat down before entering your property.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I thought that went without stating. lol

Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Yeah, but what if the person scavenging is a good guy. Someone you would want around. Say you needed some supplies and came to my place. Why would I just blast you away when you have the potential to be a good ally? What if you had goods I might want not on you? I'm just saying it might be a good idea to develop a report with people. You could be burning an important bridge.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You have a great point there. The thing is in this society most people would just as soon step on you as help you. In a shtf scenario where people are panicked and in survival mode its much more likely they will be a threat to you and yours. I will have a group of people that I trust and can rely on. Beyond them everyone is a threat in my opinion.

Even a white flag can be an offensive move.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If things have gone THAT badly where armed people are out scavenging...then you would have to assume that ANYONE "in your kitchen" is a threat.

You would also have to assume that an armed person (even if it was me) that you don't know is a threat, and must be treated accordingly. It MAY be Mother Theresa with an M4...but Momma T...if you're in my kitchen uninvited...you're a bullet catcher.

How did they get INTO your kitchen anyway? That is the bigger question, because there was a SERIOUS breakdown in your planning or security IF they got that far alive.

If they have reached that far into your perimeter....have they left someone on your "team" so-to-speak...dead in their wake?

Too many variables...and truthfully...post SHTF is NOT the time to try to learn to trust someone you don't know.

JMHO...but let's all save time, and assume I am right.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #8

See I'm thinking about myself for this example. I would be a great asset in this situation, but what if I went a mile down the road to my neighbors house and they shot me thinking I was a threat? Bad for me AND them, because I really could've helped if they just talked to me. So I'm thinking the same applies to others. What if you just up and shoot a guy looking for say, ammunition, and he ends up being a doctor, or someone with something you could've used, never know. City people are generally worthless and probably don't have much to offer, but out in the country, most people are going to have valuable skills and resources.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
See I'm thinking about myself for this example. I would be a great asset in this situation, but what if I went a mile down the road to my neighbors house and they shot me thinking I was a threat? Bad for me AND them, because I really could've helped if they just talked to me. So I'm thinking the same applies to others. What if you just up and shoot a guy looking for say, ammunition, and he ends up being a doctor, or someone with something you could've used, never know. City people are generally worthless and probably don't have much to offer, but out in the country, most people are going to have valuable skills and resources.
In that particular situation...one might think again....planning was the beginning of the failure. You should foster a relationship BEFORE the SHHTF. I am not sure the whole "secret handshake" thing will be all that effective...nor will a flag...who'se to say some scumbag, assuming YOU have supplies won't be watching you and kill you, take your flag (you see where this is going).

Quite possibly...old fashioned CB's and handhelds between you and your neighbors (you can even broach the subject with...hey, in case of emergency rather than...IF THE ZOMBIES ATTACK)...use this to call me and vice versa.

As far as a "code word" decided upon via the idiotnet...well...lemme just say THAT will be about as secure as a hooker's snatch.

A nation-wide, or state-wide group of like minded prepper tactical teams (THAT just made me laugh), likewise isn't very likely.

If you want to foster good relationships...get off your ass, off the computer, and go meet people. I know all my neighbors. I know who I "believe" I can trust, I have identified the douchebags who will be....unwelcome...and dealt with if neccessary, I have even identified the old folks who will probably need help. If something does jump off, I won't be making new friends.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #10

Liked 4557 Times on 2203 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

This is why any reasonable plan already involves others. My circle consists of Familly men that I've befriended and helped to train over the years. Being the only Vet makes me the default leader and I've chosen 2 additional families because 1 brings an RN 30 years of trauma experience and the other brings avid outdoor survival skills.

All have children within appropriate ages for future marriages and all "except the RN" are well armed, well supplied, and know how to shoot and follow instructions.

Survival, to me, is about ensuring your children go on. Thier safety will require the proverbial village. A large group with share values and beliefs will stand a much better chance of survival that an individual or a single Familly.

Oh...and if your not already in my group, your a threat whether you think your a good guy or not. Sorry but I've got too many females to protect and after food, women of breeding age will be the most sought after commodity.

Tack