Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Trauma Kit vs. First Aid Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Trauma Kit vs. First Aid Kit

I figured we talk a whole lot about defending ourselves with our firearms but not much time talking about what we plan to do if we or a loved one actually takes a hit. In no way is this an attempt to give medical instructions over the internet. i'm just sharing some of the lessons and ideas i apply to my shtf planning. hopefully this opens a debate where we can share ideas and learn new stuff.
Let's start by stating the difference between a trauma kit and a first aid kit. a first aid kit is something that should obviously be in your bugout bag and car. your first aid kit should contain the stuff needed to treat your common ailments. headache, cold, small cuts and burns, splinters, etc. A trauma kit is what you carry to treat large wounds/injuries. Gunshot wounds, lacerations, suspected fractures, etc. it has become common practice in iraq and afghanistan for individuals to carry what's called a Personal Trauma Kit. Statistics are showing that wounded personel who immediately administer self-aid tend to survive traumatic injuries. the chain of events should flow like so: you're wounded, you administer self aid as best you can, your buddy administers buddy aid, responding medics/EMS arrive continue advanced treatment and transport you to the ER, doc patches you up, hopefully you live. i'll post the contents of my trauma kit in a later post, it's miller time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

If you can find military maluals on first aid and that I would keep them on hand.

IN a trauma kit I would have quik clot, a tournique, some form of plastic. Why plastic? Well that is what your going to need if some one has (Military Term) a Sucking chest wound. For me I would also have IV supplys as well. That though would be on you as these go bad and have to be rotated over time. If you know someone who is a military medic or an EMT see if they will teach you how to admister an IV. Worst coems to worst you can give them rectaly (EWWWWW I know) but this has worked and can help in the event no one knows how to properly administer an IV. Tape some kind of medical tape is a must as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 AM   #3

i am an EMT (B) and certified as a Combat Life Saver in the military. i can stick IVs. it is a pain to keep rotating IV bags in your kit. i keep Quick Clot ACS, 6" Israeli dressing, EMT shears, and an OPA (Oral Pharyngeal Airway) in mine. i also have a cravat that can be used as a tourniquet but i should keep a purpose built one.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #4

Default Great thread!

By all means, a trauma kit is worth every penny. There is actually a great set up on the "Cheaper Than Dirt" website ( Cheaperthandirt.com) that has everything a medic, nurse or doctor would need. Probable overkill for most people, but you can certainly set up an advanced medical kit by picking up military surplus items.

You should strongly consider basic surgical instruments, some form of airway control, pain killers and LOTS of dressing supplies. Don't forget antiseptic creams, lotions and hand sanitizers.

Note: Cheaper Than Dirt often has great stuff, but their shipping costs can be a pain. I do not work for them, or have any vested interest in the company, it is just one asset I use for military surplus supplies and equipment.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.