Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Toxic Plant Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default Toxic Plant Guide

I don't know how many might be interested in this, but if you plan to stay in your local area if the SHTF, you can get a guide to local poisonous plants through your local county extension agent. It normally covers plants you can't or shouldn't eat as well as plants that may cause allergic or sensitivity reactions on contact. The best part? It should be free.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #2

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

My plan is simpler if SHTF....invite all my liberal friends over and cook for them until I find out which plants actually are edible.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 511

One plant you need to become familiar with if you live in the south or eastern US is pokeweed. Pokeweed will grow anywhere there is full sunlight. When you find pokeweed you will find a lot of it. Pokeweed is tricky to eat. In some stages pokeweed is just as tasty as asparagus. In the right stage the leaves are just as tasty as collard greens. Once the plant matures it becomes poisonous. The only edible part of a mature plant is the berries. The seeds in the berries are poisonous. The antidote for pokeweed poisoning is raw egg whites whipped into a meringue. Only one person has ever died from pokeweed poisoning. But it will make you so sick you will want to die.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
My plan is simpler if SHTF....invite all my liberal friends over and cook for them until I find out which plants actually are edible.
You have liberal friends? How do you stand it?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

Liked 3763 Times on 1803 Posts
Likes Given: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You have liberal friends? How do you stand it?
"foodtasters".....

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 03-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
"foodtasters".....
It still seems like a high price to pay for safety. I was planning on using my in-laws.