Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Top 5 most important things in your BOB??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 04:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Interesting. Do you have a link? I might like to procure one as well....

JD
Check this out:
http://21st-century-goods.com/page/21st/PROD/SB377

I don't have one; I bought the wind-up generator type. However, it is very noisy and noise might be a bad thing under certain circumstances. I might have to get one of those solar thingys too.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Besides stuff listed, (water purification tablets are always taped to canteen handle, btw) couple of fairly small items- a leatherman tool, and a pair of hacksaw blades w/ one end wrapped in tape. I am NOT going to die because I could not get thru the fricking padlock on the gate!

My mini BOB- A very small 22 and 1 box ammo. Magnesium fire starter. Disposable space blanket. Length of 550 cord. Leatherman. Wound dressings. Calories (hard candy) instant coffee. Cash. Poncho. Small OC spray, painted white (they may search you at the shelter, but who is gonna take your breath spray?) Saw blades (double with fire starter) collapsable quart water bag. Weight about 3 lbs, in small shoulder bag. Now, my BIG BOB is in an ALICE pack......

Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrem700 View Post
That always embarasses the hell out of me, I wish I had better grammer skills, the truth of the matter is I lost my father when I was 15 to a shoot out in a parking lot of a motel in Denton, Texas.

From that day on I worked 40 plus hours a week to help my mother get my younger brother and sisters raised and keep the farm, never got a chance to go back and finish up school, thought I had it whiped when spell check came along, but my lap top took a crap and now I'm stuck using my wifes desk top that has not got spell check, so please forgive my grammer and bear with me, I try to do the best I can.
OK, you caught me! I'm an incorrigible, 'grammar Nazi'!

I apologize. I didn't mean to embarrass you. Perhaps, I can help you out alittle. If you download the following small program to your wife's computer it will automatically check your spelling for you, 'on the fly'.

Every time you enter a spelling mistake it will, 'beep' and offer you the correct spelling. It's completely free; so you have absolutely nothing to lose.

(And, the best part is that it'll help make you, 'bulletproof' to the, 'post police'!)

TinySpell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Bleach works in a pinch also..
Yeah, bleach! (I was going to say that.) However, I've noticed that many of the items people are mentioning actually belong in your pockets, and not in your BOB; e.g.: matches, a compass, and small knives.

Here's a post I wrote years ago on this subject -

WHAT’S BLEACH GOOD FOR?

‘Bleach is good for treating water, as well as cleaning up areas or rooms that have been contaminated with a whole bunch of things (diseased body fluids, rodent droppings, whatever). Basically, if you want to sterilize an item or an area, bleach is very often the way to go.’

‘For long-term storage, I keep the granulated chlorine sold as, 'Sock It' for pools. It comes in heavy plastic bags which I vacuum-seal in another bag. Liquid chlorine will go stale after a surprisingly short time, it's heavy, and it's susceptible to spills & leaks; so the granular is better suited to storage.'

'From the granular chlorine, you can make liquid chlorine that is equal in strength to fresh Clorox bleach that's right off the shelf; and, then, you can use this, 'reconstituted bleach' in the same way you would use regular liquid chlorine.'

‘A 10% bleach in water solution will kill just about any bug. It's what the local paramedics use to sterilize their re-usable medical gear.’

‘You can, also, get rid of excess chlorine in the water by: heating it, letting it sit out in the sun, or by mixing some hydrogen peroxide into the water.’

Last edited by G21.45; 08-03-2008 at 05:12 AM.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Besides stuff listed, (water purification tablets are always taped to canteen handle, btw) couple of fairly small items- a leatherman tool, and a pair of hacksaw blades w/ one end wrapped in tape. I am NOT going to die because I could not get thru the fricking padlock on the gate!

I've had a Leatherman on my belt for over 7 years. I feel naked without it, because it gets used at least once every single day! I don't know how I survived without one for so many years. I'm glad I have the older versions however, because I don't like the new ones with the plastic handle inserts! I carry an old "Sideclip" model which is very light and small. I have the Super Tool from 10 yrs. ago, but it's like carrying a gun!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"