Tinder Suggestions - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Tinder Suggestions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,324
Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

Default

Carry a couple of candles and you'll never need tinder.

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Carry a couple of candles and you'll never need tinder.
Candles don't last well down here. I've even tried the ones in their own tins. They melted and popped the top off the tin. What a mess. Sterno doesn't last, either.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,324
Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Candles don't last well down here. I've even tried the ones in their own tins. They melted and popped the top off the tin. What a mess. Sterno doesn't last, either.

0000 steel wool makes great tinder.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,581
Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Carry a couple of candles and you'll never need tinder.
That's a great sentiment, but if you spend a while

firebuilding, you find wax helps, but isn't a complete

solution, of and by itself.

Do you use incense? Save the stubs. If you get a

box of book matches, you can double a complete pack

of the matches over and light them all at once.

many times this will help get the kindling going.


The major advantage to getting a whole box of

paper book matches is you can spread them around.

A few packs here and there. Pockets, pack, tent,

trunk, backseat, emergency kit, first aid kit, ditty bag,

mess kit . Then you will always have dry

matches.
__________________

Last edited by therewolf; 06-26-2013 at 12:59 AM.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Plymouth,Ma
Posts: 133
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

The following info I got out of a sporting magazine in the 60's and haven't found a better idea yet on tinder. It is the shavings inside a desktop pencil sharpener. These shavings are usually made from cedar and are extremely flammable. To keep them waterproof the article suggested emptying a 16ga and 12ga plastic shotgun shells, store the shavings with a wooden match in the 16ga shell then push this into the 12ga shell. The fit is so tight it is virtually waterproof. I still have mine, after all these years. Additionally I glued a small piece of flint inside the 16ga. This was taken from a typical matchbook cover. Hope this helps.

__________________
Kodeman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,324
Liked 5717 Times on 3232 Posts
Likes Given: 5148

Default

Road flares are still the best.

They will quickly light a fire, even with wet wood, without tinder or even small kindling.

And you can keep a dozen of them in your glove compartment.

And if you ever need an incendiary weapon.........

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Road flares are still the best.

They will quickly light a fire, even with wet wood, without tinder or even small kindling.

And you can keep a dozen of them in your glove compartment.

And if you ever need an incendiary weapon.........
I've never had a lot of luck with road flares lasting in this humidity. I sort of throw them in the trunk and forget them. Maybe if I replaced them more often? Like maybe every 2 years instead of trying to get 20 out of them?
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodeman View Post
The following info I got out of a sporting magazine in the 60's and haven't found a better idea yet on tinder. It is the shavings inside a desktop pencil sharpener. These shavings are usually made from cedar and are extremely flammable. To keep them waterproof the article suggested emptying a 16ga and 12ga plastic shotgun shells, store the shavings with a wooden match in the 16ga shell then push this into the 12ga shell. The fit is so tight it is virtually waterproof. I still have mine, after all these years. Additionally I glued a small piece of flint inside the 16ga. This was taken from a typical matchbook cover. Hope this helps.
Sounds good, but what about the primers? I can empty a 12 ga. case in the blink of an eye, but I would hate to buy a 16 ga shotgun just to make a tinder case. Do they even make a 16 ga anymore? I haven't seen one in ages.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Plymouth,Ma
Posts: 133
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Sounds good, but what about the primers? I can empty a 12 ga. case in the blink of an eye, but I would hate to buy a 16 ga shotgun just to make a tinder case. Do they even make a 16 ga anymore? I haven't seen one in ages.
Good question on the primers. I have a 16 single shot so it wasn't a problem. I can't think of a solution if you don't own one but I'm sure someone on this site will be able to help you.
__________________
Kodeman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,271
Liked 985 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

A long time ago, in a land far far away.......

They used to use wood shavings as a packing material. When I was in the Boy Scouts, one of the leaders seemed to have a never-ending supply of the stuff. It was the most coveted fire starter. Now, I have never seen it used as packing in my lifetime, but you could probably make a good substitute for cheap with one of those tools that looks like a wood plane, but instead has a rasp on the bottom. Even if the wood was green, it'd dry in a couple days, stick in a ziplock bag, and done. The only thing I don't know about would be the ignite ability of it with your chosen method.

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.380 suggestions Mike1980 General Handgun Discussion 40 01-11-2012 12:54 AM
Any suggestions? Savage308 Optics & Mounts 14 01-20-2011 11:18 PM
Any suggestions? nightstalker Competition Shooting 5 03-01-2010 11:48 PM
AR suggestions Kage0113 AR-15 Discussion 7 12-19-2009 03:15 AM
suggestions trainer343 1911 Forum 2 12-11-2009 12:45 AM