Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Tinder Suggestions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/tinder-suggestions-91639/)

Doc3402 06-02-2013 12:05 PM

Tinder Suggestions

I need a few suggestions for pre-packing tinder. I do have some requirements.

1. There can't be any possible way it could be mistaken for drugs of any kind.
2. It must remain viable after long storage periods in a car trunk.
3. It can't give off flammable or toxic fumes.
4. It must be easy to ignite with a fire steel.

That's about it. I plan to store it in a ZipLoc bag in my hurricane back pack if that makes any difference. It will not be near food or water. Thanks for your suggestions.

ctshooter 06-02-2013 12:10 PM

Tampons make great tinder , and as a bonus they are already in a water proof package, and they have a small amount of cordage. Light, compact, waterproof.

towboater 06-02-2013 12:40 PM

And a nice, fresh scent.

ctshooter 06-02-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towboater
And a nice, fresh scent.

Lmao !!!
Air freshener for the campsite.

MisterMcCool 06-02-2013 12:46 PM

Doritos and orange peals.

NC1760 06-02-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctshooter (Post 1265303)
Tampons make great tinder , and as a bonus they are already in a water proof package, and they have a small amount of cordage. Light, compact, waterproof.

...It's true. And maxi-pads make great compression bandages for a first aid kit. Packaged seperate and steril, and very absorbant... Plus the obvious reasons to have them if you're of the fairer sex or have them in tow.
BUT... back to the question at hand. A hank of sisal rope... some hand sanitizer.. even a piece of cotton cloth impregnated with vasiline make great tinder. Have you ever made charcloth ???
P.S. When in the woods in North Carolina and in need of fire starter.. I look for a paper birch tree or cat tails (if you can find them in your area).

Jagermeister 06-02-2013 12:52 PM

I use lint from the dryer. You can also douse it in lighter fluid. Store in in the orange waterproof containers for matches.

txpossum 06-02-2013 12:55 PM

Don't know much about tinder. Char cloth is supposed to light easily with a firesteel, you can find videos on the 'net about how to make it. I'm lazy -- I roll a section of newpaper up into sticks about 1 1/2" in diameter, soak them in parafin (trade name: Gulfwax) like they use to seal canning jars, then cut them into about 1" lengths. Light just fine with my a bic ligher or waterproof matches, both of which I carry in addition to a fire steel.

txpossum 06-02-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctshooter (Post 1265303)

Really? Never knew that.

thdrduck 06-02-2013 12:57 PM

And cotton butcher string soaked in paraffin wax then cut into 2 inch pieces.