Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Thinking about buying solar panels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 451 Times on 305 Posts

I have had posts: removed by moderators before so I'm very cautious now.
When I said I don't think that is a good panel for an RV I thought I might have offended you because of a no response for a long time lol.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #52
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7663 Times on 4422 Posts
Likes Given: 9880

Nope. Just offline. You can see when a member is online if there is a green dot to the lower left of their avatar (you, for instance, are not online as I am posting this so that dot is grey), though sometimes if you leave the forum up and walk away from the computer it will show you online when you aren't.

Oh, and I am extremely difficult to offend. I can't remember ever having been offended to tell you the truth!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Cool I'm fairly new here as you can tell I'm still just Trying to figure all this out.
Thanks for your correspondence
Still waiting for parts to come in so I can do my install on the RV.

Your house solar panel is that setup for just a grid tie or do you also have batteries to be off grid?
I'm thinking of just doing the Tie grid.
Any opinion on either way?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #54

My house is grid tied without any battery backup. I would like to have batteries gut this way made more sense in the short run. If you are on the grid now it would probably make sense for you as well. Batteries are very expensive right now. I imagine that in the future they will come down as technology improves. Someday I would like to live entirely off-grid, partially because PG&E is such a corrupt company that kills people, but I digress.

Do a search on solar installers. There are a lot of ways to do it and creative ways to finance it but still end up owning the system in the end. If you rent I imagine there are other options as well.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I own my house.
And yeah that's why I was thinking of just doing a grid tie because of batteries and supposedly only last 3 or so years
But obviously I'm still up in the air because I'm still seriously thinking about getting out of this state. for reasons I'm sure you know!!!!! Since we are on a gun sight lol

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #56
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Nope. Just offline. You can see when a member is online if there is a green dot to the lower left of their avatar (you, for instance, are not online as I am posting this so that dot is grey), though sometimes if you leave the forum up and walk away from the computer it will show you online when you aren't.

Oh, and I am extremely difficult to offend. I can't remember ever having been offended to tell you the truth!
I can attest to this. Many of us have tried to offend VikingDad and it hasn't worked!

LOL' seriously, VikingDad is a great source of info and most of us are pretty thick-skinned. Don't worry too much about offending. Politeness goes a long way here.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post

I can attest to this. Many of us have tried to offend VikingDad and it hasn't worked!

LOL' seriously, VikingDad is a great source of info and most of us are pretty thick-skinned. Don't worry too much about offending. Politeness goes a long way here.
Lol that's funny
I thought I succeeded were others have failed
Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
I own my house.
And yeah that's why I was thinking of just doing a grid tie because of batteries and supposedly only last 3 or so years
But obviously I'm still up in the air because I'm still seriously thinking about getting out of this state. for reasons I'm sure you know!!!!! Since we are on a gun sight lol
Thanks guys.

As far as batteries are concerned you are misinformed. If you use the proper batteries they will last 10 years or even longer if they are properly cared for and they are the right batteries for the system. Trojan makes some of the best IMO, but they are expensive. http://www.trojanbattery.com/

As far as maintenance you should check and clean your batteries once a month at least. If you are cycling rapidly then more often is recommended. You have to top off the cells with distilled water to keep the plates submerged. A buddy of mine who is off-grid has a 10kW system with around a dozen of the big industrial Trojan 2 volt batteries. He has his own water distiller to provide his own water (and in a pinch he can make gin!). The batteries cost him over $10 grand.

Quote:

Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah I didn't realize they lasted that long.
And 10 grand for batteries wow.
But being totally off the grid it will pay for itself in probably about 6 years
That is if your utilities are $200 a month

Old 07-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #60

My buddy runs a whole machine/metalworking shop entirely off the solar in the summertime. In winter he sometimes has to fire up the genny if its cloudy too many days in a row. Ideally you should have your batteries above 90% when the sun goes down. 100% would obviously be better.

Quote: