Thinking about buying solar panels - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Thinking about buying solar panels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I hear the Empire makes the best panels.

Don't want any cheap ewok imitations.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #12

Liked 522 Times on 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I hear the Empire makes the best panels.

Don't want any cheap ewok imitations.

I think the copper wire to hook that up is just going to put me out of the picture sorry but thank you for the suggestion lol

Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

If you are using 2 12v batteries in parallel, consider switching over to 2 6v golf cart batteries in series. Works a lot better. I had nothing but problems with the 12 v deep cycle batteries. You can get higher wattage panels in 12v. I had a 185w on my trailer. Multiple panels have to be paralleled. The controller I had would handle 3 panels. I also had a Honda 3000i for power when dry camping.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #14

Just ordered one 100 watt Polly Panel
30 amp Coleman digital Solar controller

Any special wire suggestions solid copper or braided copper

Plan on using number 10 or 12.
Suggestions of using the original connectors are maybe wire nuts

Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1540

I'd go braided because it has the best current carrying capacity, don't cheap out on the current carrying wiring.

Rather than wire nuts, go with splicing your wiring, then soldering and then shrink wrapping the splices.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Last edited by DFlynt; 07-03-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #16

Is anybody here do grid tie system

Got all the parts comeing in for my RV now I would like to start looking into doing maybe the house.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #17

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b
Just ordered one 100 watt Polly Panel
30 amp Coleman digital Solar controller

Any special wire suggestions solid copper or braided copper

Plan on using number 10 or 12.
Suggestions of using the original connectors are maybe wire nuts
For dc power stay away from solid wire. Dc current likes to flow on the outside edges of the wire, so if you use solid there is really only one "edge" where in multi strand wire each strand is its own wire allowing more current to pass and to pass with less resistance.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8489 Times on 4912 Posts
Likes Given: 11045

I have a 12.5 kW grid tied system on the roof of my house. I had it professionally installed by a contractor. The cost was actually very close to what i would have paid for a kit plus I would have had to do the install myself. Didn't make any sense to do that. That was with some pretty big rebates and credits though. Ended up costing me about $45K. It has been paying off though, and I will see total payoff within 8 years of when I installed it.

On my RV I have two solar panels. One is a cheapo like you can get for about $50 or so, that one maintains the engine battery, the other one is a 120 watt panel that can power some selected circuits in the RV through the inverter, or it can charge the "house" batteries (6 large 12 volt RV Deep Cycle lead acid cells). The RV cannot back-feed to the grid for safety reasons, but the system on the house does. It runs through a transfer switch so that if the power goes out the system cannot back-feed into the grid, which can easily kill someone working on the power lines. If I want back-up power in the event of an outage I would need to set up a battery pack for the house- something I have not done due to the cost. Even in that case the solar system cannot charge the batteries when the power is out, not unless you were to install a breakout transfer switch which would feed a signal to your solar tricking it into thinking the grid was up. That is illegal though because too many people screw up the wiring and can inadvertently back-feed to a dead grid.

Hope this all helps. You need to do a lot of homework.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #19

Viking

Did you install your system on your RV yourself?

The question on the wiring came from youtube I saw somebody using solid copper wire that was a professional and it made me wonder
Thanks for your reply that definitely helps.
I have been studying for a little bit I am a licensed general contractor in California
Really never thought about solar till I had a problem with my RV dry camping once ran out of batteries. in my quest for RV solar I did stumble across some systems for homes which perked my interest.

I definitely don't know enough right now to do my own install just trying to get a little educated so I know which direction to goto in regards how much power I need help you say I got to sit down and work out the supply and demand

Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8489 Times on 4912 Posts
Likes Given: 11045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
Viking

Did you install your system on your RV yourself?

The question on the wiring came from youtube I saw somebody using solid copper wire that was a professional and it made me wonder
Thanks for your reply that definitely helps.
I have been studying for a little bit I am a licensed general contractor in California
Really never thought about solar till I had a problem with my RV dry camping once ran out of batteries. in my quest for RV solar I did stumble across some systems for homes which perked my interest.

I definitely don't know enough right now to do my own install just trying to get a little educated so I know which direction to goto in regards how much power I need help you say I got to sit down and work out the supply and demand
Where in Cali are you located? I am near Silicon Valley.

My RV had the solar on it when I bought it used. I am planning on seriously upgrading it in the future since as it sits you can't dry camp without the generator. The RV was really built for the old retired couple who drives to Vegas and plugs in. Got a great deal on it.

I do have a Xantrex 2.5 Prosine inverter/charger that I am planning on installing on the RV when I get the panels for it. I can use up to 10 250 Watt panels, though that takes up a lot of space on the roof. That will be about $200 per panel for new ones, or I can get used ones cheaper. I saw a complete 2.4kW grid-tied system on Craigslist for $2000 which is a downright steal (its in the East Bay if you are interested! http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/3914322314.html ).

The house has one south-facing roof section that holds all of the panels. There are 60 Sunpower 200 watt panels. Two Sunpower inverters handle the load. We had it installed June of 2010 and have produced 43,216 kWh in that time. Here is a pic of the roof. Note that we only have partial exposure due to our location. You will get seriously degraded production from any shading. My panels are wired in zones to maximize the different shading situations throughout the day.
dsc00042.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.