Test of the Emergency Broadcast System ? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Test of the Emergency Broadcast System ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Didn't they screw up the metric conversion and crash a probe into Mars a few years ago?
That was the lens grinding dimensions on the Hubble Telescope.
Talk about fuzzy math.

Be Well.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

An astroid the size of a carrier *probably* would not wipe out the earth. IT would be devestating to the area it hit, but many other factors are as important, if not more, than the size. ITs composition being number 1. If it is an iron rock, than where it hits is screwed, If it is iron and other debris loosely held together by gravity, than many places will be hit, causing mass chaos (but not world ending) across the globe, along with a very pretty sky display. IF it is ice, it will shrink tremendously. Ice also has the potential to explode in the atmosphere, not throwing up much dust, but behaving pretty much exactly like a nuke would detonated higher up. LAying waste to a large area, flattening everything but being a very localized event. Something like that happened in russia in the early 1900,s in the middle of the a big forest. They discovered a huge area of the forest had been layed flat pointing out from an epicenter.

It also matters very much where it hits, if it lands in the ocean, than expect the coasts to catch some waves. If it lands on land than the immediate damage would be reduced, but dust clouds could cause problems for a while. If it where to land in yellow stone, it could set off that massive volcano and it will be all over but the crying....or not.

This is in response to the post that questioned what would happen if that rock hit us.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #23

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
An astroid the size of a carrier *probably* would not wipe out the earth. IT would be devestating to the area it hit, but many other factors are as important, if not more, than the size. ITs composition being number 1. If it is an iron rock, than where it hits is screwed, If it is iron and other debris loosely held together by gravity, than many places will be hit, causing mass chaos (but not world ending) across the globe, along with a very pretty sky display. IF it is ice, it will shrink tremendously. Ice also has the potential to explode in the atmosphere, not throwing up much dust, but behaving pretty much exactly like a nuke would detonated higher up. LAying waste to a large area, flattening everything but being a very localized event. Something like that happened in russia in the early 1900,s in the middle of the a big forest. They discovered a huge area of the forest had been layed flat pointing out from an epicenter.

It also matters very much where it hits, if it lands in the ocean, than expect the coasts to catch some waves. If it lands on land than the immediate damage would be reduced, but dust clouds could cause problems for a while. If it where to land in yellow stone, it could set off that massive volcano and it will be all over but the crying....or not.

This is in response to the post that questioned what would happen if that rock hit us.
Yea, the dust caused a few problems for the dinosaurs about 60 million years ago. Enough dust in the atmosphere , things happen that no amount of preparation can help. There is something to be said for the shock waves generated by something big traveling at about a bazillion miles an hour cause on impact too. It has happened before and will happen again. I just hope I am not home when it strikes.......

Carl Sagan

Old 11-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Didn't they screw up the metric conversion and crash a probe into Mars a few years ago?
Picky, Picky....Meters/feet, oh well, its only money.

Carl Sagan

Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You really trust their math, huh?

Got $125 million that says you may be wrong-

Mars Probe Lost Due to Simple Math Error - Los Angeles Times
C3shooter, are you going to be paying with check or credit card? Just to put you mind at ease, I won't send more than $10,000 or so to the ACLU, and no more than a mil or so to the Obama campaign.

Carl Sagan

Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Guys, I am willing to bet $100.00 to any taker that a carrier size astroid will not hit the earth this week.

I really trust NASA's math that much.
If your wrong and we all die, How will you pay us?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #27
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Yea, the dust caused a few problems for the dinosaurs about 60 million years ago. Enough dust in the atmosphere , things happen that no amount of preparation can help. There is something to be said for the shock waves generated by something big traveling at about a bazillion miles an hour cause on impact too. It has happened before and will happen again. I just hope I am not home when it strikes.......
Those shock waves would cause a massive amount of devastation. Disrupt the earths core causing major volcanic activity. Super volcanoes erupting. Massive earthquakes. Tsunami activity world wide. Nuclear winter if there is a breathable atmosphere left. Possible ignition of the atmosphere. Thats just he good stuff.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
If your wrong and we all die, How will you pay us?
That is the point Tex. I only bet on a sure thing.

But, being an honerable man, I would have paid off, somehow........

Carl Sagan