Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Temp and drought (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/temp-drought-69301/)

USEBOTHHANDS 07-31-2012 04:19 AM

Temp and drought

i was watchin the tube tonight and the show had "scientists" talkin bout how the sun-living barrier (perfect relationship/orientation of earth to the sun in our solar system) was slowly shifting towards earth.........soon it would surpass earth and all life would end up having to "get off the planet," "humans weren't made to settle down in one spot."

so i got to thinkin, and did a little research via the good ol' internet. it seems that startin in 1930 the central plains region held a drought for 7 or so years, crops burnt up, temps were hoverin in the 100s, and massive storms picked up the topsoil and took it hundreds of miles away.

it was the beginning of the Great Depression, and the early, EARLY beginning to WWII. jobs were lost, or given up, rather. people were starvin, and there was no end in sight. then the "New Deal" came along and STILL didn't make too much of a dent.

the news of today makes the current situations out to be worse than they really are, but AMERICA has been through it before and didn't give up. let's all keep our chins up and prepare for the worst, cuz **** HITTIN THE FAN IS MOST LIKELY UPON US @ THIS POINT.............IF THIS KEEPS UP.

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL!!!

TLuker 08-01-2012 01:03 AM

There were a lot of things that led to the dust storms of the 30's. All of the "sod busters" did a pretty good job of busting sod. That is they plowed too much land. When the markets crashed so did the price of produce and farmers didn't replant because they would have lost money at those prices. So all of that plowed land just lay barren and then the drought hit. The indigenous grasses were much more drought resistant and would have prevented the vast majority of the damage done, but those grasses had long been plowed under. The dust storms then made things even worse which created even drier conditions and more dust storms.

Fortunately, farmers know a lot more about preventing soil erosion so dust storms like in the 30's aren't very likely today. But you still have a good point about changes in the climate going hand in hand with major social problems. We are also still doing a lot of things poorly today in agriculture that are going to led to bad things. A good book that fits in with all that is "Collapse: Why Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed". It's a good read.

All the other stuff we are doing with the economy is just flat out stupid. We can't blame nature for any of that except for maybe evolution. It's not looking too good right now.

HockaLouis 08-01-2012 01:27 AM

At first you were just depressing me. Now I'm thirsty too.

USEBOTHHANDS 08-01-2012 01:32 AM

thank you for your input Luker.

i was just openin peoples' eyes to the history of the world..........we have seen droughts before, we have seen temperatures like this before, it's all relative to the century that we live in. hell, since there was no real record keepin early in American history, i suspect droughts and high temps are a common occurrence.

how long do you think "el nino" has been going on..................before "scientists" became "acknowledged" with the "discovery" of it!!!

TLuker 08-01-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS (Post 888738)
thank you for your input Luker.

i was just openin peoples' eyes to the history of the world..........we have seen droughts before, we have seen temperatures like this before, it's all relative to the century that we live in. hell, since there was no real record keepin early in American history, i suspect droughts and high temps are a common occurrence.

how long do you think "el nino" has been going on..................before "scientists" became "acknowledged" with the "discovery" of it!!!

I agree completely. There have been many changes in the climate that science is just now even becoming aware of. Some changes were good and some bad. All we can do is make the best of the time we're given (that sounds like a bad quote from something?). :D