Telling Freindlys From Not-So-Freindlys If SHTF? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Telling Freindlys From Not-So-Freindlys If SHTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Someone who knocks on my door and politely engages me in discourse is potentially friendly. Anyone who approaches anything other than my door (eg: garden, outbuilding, vehicle) would be considered a thief.

If I were out with a friend, I would want communication with whatever "home" was and would alert them to the folks we saw. Engaging them would be unnecessary, IMO. If they go away, fine. If they find "home", the folks at home are ready for them.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I haven't seen any way of determining they're "friendly". Does this mean I can't crash on your guys' couches after the apocalypse?
Come on, Ploof. Kill 'em all and let God sort it out!

Seriously, how do you maintain your humanity and not simply murder people pre-emptively?

I think avoidance is best. Better to not be in the gunfight.

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 08-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #13

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I haven't seen any way of determining they're "friendly". Does this mean I can't crash on your guys' couches after the apocalypse?
I've already had a hat made that reads "TACKLEBERRY" across the front & back.

It's OD Green w/subdued lettering.

PLEASE USE YOUR BINO'S, NOT YOUR SCOPE TO IDENTIFY ME!

TACK

Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #14

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

If they have an FTF supporting member decal they are friendly, otherwise avoid or eliminate them. Seriously, in a true SHTF scenario self preservation is the goal so anyone, friendly or not, is just another mouth to feed and should be avoided and left to their own. Only those that can add fire power, skills or provisions to the camp should be accepted. Thieves and hostiles should be summarily eliminated.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Someone who knocks on my door and politely engages me in discourse is potentially friendly. Anyone who approaches anything other than my door (eg: garden, outbuilding, vehicle) would be considered a thief.

If I were out with a friend, I would want communication with whatever "home" was and would alert them to the folks we saw. Engaging them would be unnecessary, IMO. If they go away, fine. If they find "home", the folks at home are ready for them.
What if they came up from behind the shelter and are looking for the front door?

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #16

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Under that scenario I would see if they were being as quite as possible, sense noise carries a long way and can bring many more unwanted guests. If they were loud and obnoxious they are unwanted in my book.

If it is say 3 men no females with them then I would consider them to be out foraging like maybe take what they can from whom they can.

Best thing is to watch them, let camp know quietly, if they make the wrong action or say the wrong things they die where they are, I take no chances.

If I am out roaming around you all will know me, I will have FTF on my chest and naked as a jay bird

Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Learning to read body language will help as well. You can tell a persons intentions through body stance, facial expressions and the way they move. I agree with the deterrence, observation and avoidance. Save ammo, save lives and you may be able to add a second, third or fourth member to the team. Strength in numbers, more eyes on watch.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
What if they came up from behind the shelter and are looking for the front door?
It's OK by me as long as they go to the door before looking at anything else.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #19

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

If they're looking for shelter I'd provide but I don't know them therefore their weapons will stay with me while they're here, if they don't like it then they can stay in the sticks eating mushrooms.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #20

Liked 57 Times on 32 Posts

If they get within 50 yards of me or my camp or close enough to spot me ill look at body language and if I determine them to be a threat I will start to hum Carry on my Wayward Son by kansas and open up the judgment of god. Its gonna take some realy bad decisions on there part for that to happen tho. I would rather add someone to the group than send one to his maker. Also women and children will be spared.