Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Telling Freindlys From Not-So-Freindlys If SHTF? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/telling-freindlys-not-so-freindlys-if-shtf-46741/)

MrMosin 08-12-2011 11:31 PM

Telling Freindlys From Not-So-Freindlys If SHTF?

Just for the sake of bringing it up, say the S has aleready HTF, you and yours (or just you) are bugged out and have a temporary or permanent camp up in the mountains. One morning you or you and a buddy go out hunting with the intention of hauling a deer back to camp and having a SHTF potluck dinner. Then you hear faint voices off in the disatnce. Upon investigating you see 3 men, all like you, have rifles. Right now they are standing around talking, you don't know if there are more in the area. What do you do to determine if they are a threat?

Black Talon 08-12-2011 11:33 PM

If they shoot at you, you know they’re a threat.

MrMosin 08-12-2011 11:40 PM

Well that goes without saying. But getting into a firefight could get you woulded or killed, and the noise from the rifles would definately bring in more baddies in the area.

canebrake 08-12-2011 11:46 PM

Your number one option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Be polite. Be professional. But... have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Laugh at that and you will become a supply dump.

CA357 08-13-2011 12:12 AM

We would quietly fade away, but not back to camp, but instead to a position where we could observe them undetected. If they start to approach the camp, they would be challenged and it would go from there. Two against three isn't bad odds if we are unobserved and already have two of them in our sights. ;)

Dennis845 08-13-2011 01:41 AM

Yep, avoidance if at all possible and have a plan. Have some sort of perimeter defense for your camp, especially for night. Like trip wires with rocks in soda cans and the like for early warning. Know the area and have an escape route. Never trust any stranger or turn your back on them. You just never know.

IGETEVEN 08-13-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 561822)
Your number one option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Be polite. Be professional. But... have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Laugh at that and you will become a supply dump.

THIS....and why does it sound so familiar? :cool:

wmille01 08-13-2011 04:35 AM

Personal opinion survey them stay hidden, if you have two other buddies send one back to camp to make sure the others or just supplies are ok. If determined that they are a threat wait till dark go in with knifes have one with a rifle watching over ya for support and make it all nice and quiet take what you need leave the rest move on. If not sure have your buddy cover you or visa versa if anyone makes a move the speaker is covered. If not share as little information as possible about numbers of people or rations and supplies. Or you could just wait and fallow them around see what they do.

There's a lot of what if's, I'd rather be sure then kill people for no reason or get killed. just personal opinion I'd rather look at a man through the scope of my rifle then from behind my knife.

dunerunner 08-13-2011 05:25 AM

They're toast if withing 3 mles of my camp and unidentified, I have to agree with CA357. Observe and eliminate if necessary. Detection of my camp and the reporting of such find cannot be allowed.

Ploofy 08-13-2011 03:21 PM

I haven't seen any way of determining they're "friendly". Does this mean I can't crash on your guys' couches after the apocalypse?