techniques to defeat thermal imaging - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

techniques to defeat thermal imaging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10720 Times on 4641 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Matt- I found that calling in a napalm strike on the suspected locale of the Thermal Imaging equipment generally seemed to work. (HUGE grin!)

Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #12

I think that if any security systems are using thermal imaging, it's likely to be different from that of anyone who might be actively searching for someone. If a police helo can spot pot fields and someone hiding in bushes, then it'll likely be able to peek
If one were hi-tech, it might be possible to flood an area with IR light (is that an oxymoron?)... I have no idea, am just making a wild guess, but the way I'm imagining it is that it would be like a flare in night-vision, something that would overload whatever sensors might be peeking around...

Old 08-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Matt- I found that calling in a napalm strike on the suspected locale of the Thermal Imaging equipment generally seemed to work. (HUGE grin!)
Big clouds of fire generally tend to undo thermal imaging equipment. Then again, if you blanket an area in fougasse, what are you using it to look for, the best place to set the bratwurst?

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I saw an episode of Mythbusters, it was the one where they were trying "hollywood" style ways to break into a building undetected. They were doing things like climbing up the inside of airducts with magnets, and trying to beat thermal imaging motion sensors used at banks and such. Basically they accidentally discovered that if you hold a piece og glass, like a window pane in front of your body, the part of your becomes invisible to thermal equipment.

Anybody see this episode? I think it was regular, run of the mill, window glass. I might be wrong though, it's been awhile since I saw it. Was pretty cool though.
I remember that episode. I think that they said that the thermal imaging equipment sees things in the IR part of the spectrum, and glass doesn't allow IR to pass through it.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_REPUBLICAN View Post
I remember that episode. I think that they said that the thermal imaging equipment sees things in the IR part of the spectrum, and glass doesn't allow IR to pass through it.
I've run the TAS-6, TVS-5 II and the LARS when it was test fielded. These are incredible machines and do not rely on IR light to see things like NVGs do. NVGs rely on IR light intensification, therm relies solely on heat to see things. I've counted people hidden inside cold APCs and people who were dug into the ground very well. We wouldn't have known they were there without the thermal imaging equipment.

If you move on to the larger vehicle powered units, resolution goes through the roof compared to the man packable units. Noting can hide you from the sights on an M1 series tank, M2 Bradley series APC or LAV/Strykers.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #16

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G-man
If you move on to the larger vehicle powered units, resolution goes through the roof compared to the man packable units. Noting can hide you from the sights on an M1 series tank, M2 Bradley series APC or LAV/Strykers.
It is amazing what you can see with the 360* thermal sights on an M-1 WOW I was in one warming up one cold night on Fort Hood and the TC said watch this. He scanned over to a porta-jon and low and behold there was a guy in there taking care of business and I am not talking about #1 or #2. It was so funny We about feel out of the track. We were sitting on a hill top and then he showed me a target way off in the impact area that you could not see with the nekkid eye in the day light but it showed up clear as day in that sucker.

If you are going up against the man pack units. You could always just wait untill the batteries went dead like they always do.... Then shoot the guy. Or you could just always start a forest fire if you are in a forested area would not work well in the desert though sand doesn't burn that good.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
"Cave in the mountain" is the phrase that you need to look at. Now, if you notice in my statement, I said, "The proper use of cover and concealment is really your only defense. When put in a situation like that, you need to break contact, find good cover and make yourself small."
I don't mean that the guy used it while he was in the cave. He used it when he was out of the cave to move through the woods. Yes, he did have trees to cover him, but they would've still seen him without it.

I'm not saying it's foolproof, but it seemed to work for him.

Last edited by DuckA; 08-10-2008 at 02:41 AM.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:53 AM   #18

Would hiding amoung a herd of animals help at all? I imagine that if one were crouched over to prevent his height from making him stick out he would not be visible.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Would hiding amoung a herd of animals help at all? I imagine that if one were crouched over to prevent his height from making him stick out he would not be visible.
Works for Wile E. Coyote every now and then, just make sure you use a fresh coat of woo...

If push came to shove, it'd be better than nothing, but I don't think the body temperatures would be the same. Maybe if it was a large herd of large animals, but then I'd be afraid of being trampled...

Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
It is amazing what you can see with the 360* thermal sights on an M-1 WOW I was in one warming up one cold night on Fort Hood and the TC said watch this. He scanned over to a porta-jon and low and behold there was a guy in there taking care of business and I am not talking about #1 or #2. It was so funny We about feel out of the track. We were sitting on a hill top and then he showed me a target way off in the impact area that you could not see with the nekkid eye in the day light but it showed up clear as day in that sucker.

If you are going up against the man pack units. You could always just wait untill the batteries went dead like they always do.... Then shoot the guy. Or you could just always start a forest fire if you are in a forested area would not work well in the desert though sand doesn't burn that good.
We ran JTF-6 missions in the last few days of them and used the TAS-6es religiously. Battery changes don't take more than a minute or two tops. The bummer thing with them was the noise that they gave off.