Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > techniques to defeat thermal imaging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default techniques to defeat thermal imaging

I have heard of 2 ways one is use the materials in a firefighters outfit. Or use a space blanket and tape a camo wool blanket to one side. The idea being is your body heat is contained behind the space blanket and the wool blanket through conductivity with the ambient air takes the immediate air temperature. What good does it do to hide in the woods when they got serious surveillance (hunt and find) technologies. Any other suggestions?

Liberty

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Sure. Kill a Polar Bear and wrap yourself inside it.

Info

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 08-08-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #3

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Well, there is the "Soak yourself in liquid nitrogen" technique (GRIN) You are attempting to avoid having a different thermal signature than your background. Too cold stands out, as well as too hot. anything that mitigates the transmission of heat will help- space blanket, fiberglass insulation, giant thermos bottle, etc. Key word in that sentence was HELP.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #4

Get on all fours and hope "they" think you're a dog.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You can't do it. You can't even defeat the obsolete crap. I worked ground surveillance in the army, we tried everything to test the capabilities of the thermal imaging equipment that we had access to. There was no way to get around it.

A skilled operator with modern equipment will see you. Your attempts to mask your signature will only draw their interest and, thereby, probably their fire.

The proper use of cover and concealment is really your only defense. When put in a situation like that, you need to break contact, find good cover and make yourself small.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #6

The dude that kidnapped that girl and kept her in a cave in the mountains used a space blanket and they never did see him.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckA View Post
The dude that kidnapped that girl and kept her in a cave in the mountains used a space blanket and they never did see him.
"Cave in the mountain" is the phrase that you need to look at. Now, if you notice in my statement, I said, "The proper use of cover and concealment is really your only defense. When put in a situation like that, you need to break contact, find good cover and make yourself small."

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

So a tinfoil hat is out?

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
So a tinfoil hat is out?
Yeah, they only work for death rays and mind control beams.

Roger Waters

Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #10

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

I saw an episode of Mythbusters, it was the one where they were trying "hollywood" style ways to break into a building undetected. They were doing things like climbing up the inside of airducts with magnets, and trying to beat thermal imaging motion sensors used at banks and such. Basically they accidentally discovered that if you hold a piece og glass, like a window pane in front of your body, the part of your becomes invisible to thermal equipment.

Anybody see this episode? I think it was regular, run of the mill, window glass. I might be wrong though, it's been awhile since I saw it. Was pretty cool though.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380