Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > A taste of SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
You guys in the N/E probably dont panic over a little snow. The Cincy area only get 1 0r 2 measurable snows a season. So the local weather personalities really try to get everybody worked up.......WHITE DEATH.....BUY BATTERIES......WHITE DEATH.....1 to 3 INCHES POSSIBLE.....CHECK ON THE ELDERLY...
Here where I live in Missouri the weathermen are constantly announcing major weather events the way you described and then nothing happens and everyone is pissed. The weathermen here are gonna keep crying wolf and people are gonna stop listening to them (god knows I don't trust them anymore) and then a big weather event will finally hit and we'll end up with a lot of people dead or injured.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Quote:
You guys in the N/E probably dont panic over a little snow. The Cincy area only get 1 0r 2 measurable snows a season. So the local weather personalities really try to get everybody worked up.......WHITE DEATH.....BUY BATTERIES......WHITE DEATH.....1 to 3 INCHES POSSIBLE.....CHECK ON THE ELDERLY...
Yep, I'm about an hour from Cincinnati, same deal here and in Louisville. I talk to people from up north all the time that can't believe we call off school for a half inch of snow

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 08-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt

Here where I live in Missouri the weathermen are constantly announcing major weather events the way you described and then nothing happens and everyone is pissed. The weathermen here are gonna keep crying wolf and people are gonna stop listening to them (god knows I don't trust them anymore) and then a big weather event will finally hit and we'll end up with a lot of people dead or injured.
Ahh the weatherman... The one job in the world where you can be wrong 80% or more of the time, and not be fired...

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1734 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Ahh the weatherman... The one job in the world where you can be wrong 80% or more of the time, and not be fired...
The current President make it 2 jobs.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

readygirl Likes This 
Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #15

Liked 194 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If we listen to the weather report on tv anymore, it is in the background. I check the weather sites every morning online on my laptop, or my phone or our weather radio. Th.at way I can make my own forecast

Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #16

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
First of all, don't eat sh!t.

Second, wipe that grin off your face that makes you look like you just ate some.

Lastly, everyone who wants to survive a minor catastrophe should already have food and water. Common sense should dictate that any foodstuff requiring temperature stabilization or has a short shelf life won't last long without electricity.
Calm down tugger...some of us have other things going on...and know we need to be better prepared..working on it....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
I have wondered about that too...Where i live if they forcast an inch of snow the grocery stores get wiped out. I stockpile some items, canned goods,pasta,ammo,alcohol,etc. And have 2 good wells. But dont do as much as i should, things could get crazy in a hurry..........
It's like that here. They say snow and the shelves get wiped out. I keep a lot of non perishables in storage here and have water access via springs if things get bad. It's annoying though in the land of 4x4 vehicles that it happens every single time. You can literally drive around here and the 4x4 trucks and SUVs outnumber cars better than 3:1 any given day.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #18
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

Quote:
I have wondered about that too...Where i live if they forcast an inch of snow the grocery stores get wiped out. I stockpile some items, canned goods,pasta,ammo,alcohol,etc. And have 2 good wells. But dont do as much as i should, things could get crazy in a hurry..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Alcohol. Clearly your priorities are in order.
In a true SHTF scenario, I would not be drinking any alcohol. I would want to be sharp as a tack during that time. It would not be good to be caught any less than that when protecting your property.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #19

Liked 858 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Quote:
In a true SHTF scenario, I would not be drinking any alcohol. I would want to be sharp as a tack during that time. It would not be good to be caught any less than that when protecting your property.
RG may mean she has alcohol to trade for other stuff with....
Old 08-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
This happens everywhere between Interstates 70 and 10.

North of I-70, just another day.

South of I-10, that crap a'int coming here!