Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   A taste of SHTF (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/taste-shtf-95284/)

clr8ter 08-11-2013 09:48 PM

A taste of SHTF
 
So there is a grocery chain pulling all of their stores out of NH. Friday morning, they put up a 50% off sale. The wife and I went there today about 1 pm, and there is not very much left. I was struck at how much stuff people cleared out in a little more than 48 hours. No dairy, bread, paper goods, meat, produce, chips, soda etc. For some odd reason, the ice cream isle was not too bad. And a small selection of crap no one wanted. (Fish Paste, anyone?) This afternoon, you would have a pretty hard time making a full meal out of there. To be honest, even though there is another store right across the street, it was a little disconcerting.

It goes to show how fast the most needed stuff would disappear in the event of SHTF, and I can only imagine the feeling if EVERY store was like that, with no resupply coming. I guess it's pretty important to recognize when something starts to go down, and get to the store IMMEDIATELY. And run your CC up, if you're early enough, LOL.

readygirl 08-11-2013 10:04 PM

I have wondered about that too...Where i live if they forcast an inch of snow the grocery stores get wiped out. I stockpile some items, canned goods,pasta,ammo,alcohol,etc. And have 2 good wells. But dont do as much as i should, things could get crazy in a hurry..........:eek:

clr8ter 08-11-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Where i live if they forcast an inch of snow the grocery stores get wiped out.
I personally have never seen that happen. Not to this degree, anyway. The majority of the isles had literally not one item in them, and were closed. Of the ones that did, 50% of them had only a small hand full of stuff.

JW357 08-11-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl
I stockpile some items, canned goods,pasta,ammo,alcohol,etc.

Alcohol. Clearly your priorities are in order. :)

readygirl 08-11-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1332880)
I personally have never seen that happen. Not to this degree, anyway. The majority of the isles had literally not one item in them, and were closed. Of the ones that did, 50% of them had only a small hand full of stuff.

You guys in the N/E probably dont panic over a little snow. The Cincy area only get 1 0r 2 measurable snows a season. So the local weather personalities really try to get everybody worked up.......WHITE DEATH..:eek:...BUY BATTERIES...:eek:...WHITE DEATH.....1 to 3 INCHES POSSIBLE.....CHECK ON THE ELDERLY...:eek:

clr8ter 08-11-2013 10:21 PM

For us, (at least for spirits), that is a totally different store.

JW357 08-11-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl

You guys in the N/E probably dont panic over a little snow. The Cincy area only get 1 0r 2 measurable snows a season. So the local weather personalities really try to get everybody worked up.......WHITE DEATH..:eek:...BUY BATTERIES...:eek:...WHITE DEATH.....1 to 3 INCHES POSSIBLE.....CHECK ON THE ELDERLY...:eek:

When I move to NC a few years ago, the day we arrived in town it was snowing. Mind you, I'm from Ohio (an hour south of Cleveland) so I'm no stranger to snow. There was literally an inch on the ground (in NC) and the entire county closed down before noon. Including the Marine base. I was told there's literally one salt truck in the county, and not a single plow. Needless to say I was flabbergasted. Durn Southerners.

sbeezy 08-11-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl

You guys in the N/E probably dont panic over a little snow. The Cincy area only get 1 0r 2 measurable snows a season. So the local weather personalities really try to get everybody worked up.......WHITE DEATH..:eek:...BUY BATTERIES...:eek:...WHITE DEATH.....1 to 3 INCHES POSSIBLE.....CHECK ON THE ELDERLY...:eek:

That's how it is here. The news is ridiculous. They'll have a header saying "deep freeze 2012" when it gets down to 30 degrees for more than a day. They should really be warning people about the crappy drivers.

This post reminds me that I don't have near enough stuff stored for emergencies if there were any type of disaster. I'd be okay for a couple days, then I'd start getting hungry.

readygirl 08-11-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1332895)
When I move to NC a few years ago, the day we arrived in town it was snowing. Mind you, I'm from Ohio (an hour south of Cleveland) so I'm no stranger to snow. There was literally an inch on the ground (in NC) and the entire county closed down before noon. Including the Marine base. I was told there's literally one salt truck in the county, and not a single plow. Needless to say I was flabbergasted. Durn Southerners.

Oh yea....An hour South of Cleveland..Lake effect snow..I bet you guys got dumped on....

kbd512 08-11-2013 10:40 PM

First of all, don't eat sh!t.

Second, wipe that grin off your face that makes you look like you just ate some.

Lastly, everyone who wants to survive a minor catastrophe should already have food and water. Common sense should dictate that any foodstuff requiring temperature stabilization or has a short shelf life won't last long without electricity.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.