Taking trip tomorrow, driving back on....122112 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Taking trip tomorrow, driving back on....122112

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Anyway...

Let me get this straight, you're having your wife and daughter leave the house and drive hundreds of miles coming looking for you in a SHTF scenario!?

Two guns just to get home. Hmmm... I like the sound of just the .22 Mag pump.

And what's a $3 Face-Value Dime?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #12

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From BONNEY:

better figure on a mountain bike, or twice as many days,. figure at night, too, or be shot, assuming we are talking shtf. gotta avoid open areas, especially if bright moonlight or snow to help see. So it will be more like 10 miles per night, or less. Better figure on a $200 passive IR monocular, at least, so you can frequently scan 360 degrees for enemies. better figure on concealable body armor, to stop shot pellets, handgun caliber carbines, and .22lr.
oh, how about the gallon or more of SAFE drinking water, EVERY day? how about the 2 lbs of food, minimum, per day, when under heavy stress? how about some sleeping gear, to protect from sun, wind, insects, rain, fog, dew, snow? how about a walking stick and medical kit? Basic needs badly overlooked, man.

First, what part about this:

"So how did I do? What did I miss?"

do you not understand? See, this is a civil question asking for a civil response. I suggest you look it up since you have no idea what that means.

Next, who is more prepared? The person who THINKS he can bring everything he needs with him (like 20 days worth of food AND water) or someone who knows they can survive in the wild long enough to get back home?

And HockaLouis, let's think for a moment: Armed wife and Armed daughter leaving within hours of crisis beginning, will be back within 8 hours with family in tact, or leaving them for 10-20 days....

Yeah, I'll take that bet. Yes, I want them to leave within a couple hours of the beginning of a crisis to come and get me. Absolutely. Do you really think all the looting and shooting is going to start happening that first day? The vast majority of the sheeple in this country will be celebrating the fact that they don't have to work that day. Yes, my wife and daughter have a window of complete safety to drive four hours to come and get me. I would absolutely make that bet, and so would they to make us stronger and more secure on day 2, when people might start figuring it out.

I may have missed a couple items in my bag, but I would stick by my plan.

12FRETTER

Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #13

Default To be or not to be...

I gotta think about that one some more. The ladies leaving home, family, supplies, and friends behind, burning fuel, not knowing quite where they're going, probability of not finding you anyway, subject to the exigencies of the situation... I'm afeared you'll get home and never, ever, find out what happened to them for the rest of your life other than reading the note that they left for you before they headed off towards, and at, your general direction.

It IS SHTF, right? If IT really hasn't hit the fan yet then, what difference does it make -- is it SHTF and it's a rescue mission or S-Will-HTF-Pretty-Soon and it's a Sunday drive? One's an emergency preparedness scenario, the other is a less-than-ideal lift...

Guess it depends on the situation and timing but my loved ones leaving home except under the most favorable circumstances is out of the question to me. Interesting, albeit a little thin IMO, plan though.

I haven't given up that unicycle whose tire and frame are filled with lightly chlorinated water myself...

Glad u got home safely (and that the world didn't end, damned Mayans!). But the dime?

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-23-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #14

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You made some assumptions you shouldn't have. We used to live within 5 miles of where I was traveling to so both my wife and daughter know the exact route, they have driven it many times. And I don't agree with you that things are black and white. It doesn't matter what you call your SHTF scenario, there is always a time frame where no one will know what is happening yet, therefore, there will be no to very little panic happening at first. You CAN have it both ways. The worst can happen, and the idiots won't know anything until they are told that their credit cards won't work anymore. From SHTF until I get home, 8 hours. Yes, I think I can have it both ways. But you made me think.

And the dimes...$3 face value of silver dimes. Thirty silver dimes.

12FRETTER

Last edited by 12fretter; 12-25-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #15

You'll have to tell me what assumption I made. How can they know where they're going -- YOU are moving, remember? Another!?

In fact, I was trying to point out that in any SHTF you may not want to rely on assumptions that are required for your safe transit and conduct. Call it the fog of war. You're arguing again "there's a safety window of opportunity." Sorry, I don't buy that -- there is little a five minute drive from home you should expect to control in a real SHTF scenario let alone a four-hour drive away. And the issues grow exponentially the farther the ladies drive. Heck, just a bad snow storm can throw all your perfect plans into a cocked hat...

That's what you expect your wife and daughter to venture out into without even a word from you!? Not lovin' it. And not gettin' the dimes thing exactly. That's OK. You are carrying silver of some kind (presumably enough to pay their ransom as requested over the Midland walkie talkie?)...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-25-2012 at 11:24 PM.