Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Taking trip tomorrow, driving back on....122112 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/taking-trip-tomorrow-driving-back-122112-a-78934/)

12fretter 12-20-2012 05:20 AM

Taking trip tomorrow, driving back on....122112

We joke about it because I put zero stock in the whole Mayan calendar crap. I'm not worried that I will be able to drive back home with no problems. But I took this opportunity to exercise building a GBH bag. (Get Back Home). It was a good exercise, and I learned that I may need a bigger sack in the future. But I got it all in. Here's what I surmised:

275 miles away, would take about 7-9 days to walk home if need be. I packed 9 days worth of Mainstays and three cans of tuna, along with some simple sugar products for quick energy. Water purification tabs and a filter straw and will put as many bottles of water (bringing a case in the trunk) in the pockets outside the bag.

Knife with paracord and magnesium stick
first aid kit
New, insulated hiking boots (worn in around the house) with two extra pair socks
Flashlight, full Zippo with new flint and extra flint
Baggie with two socks coated with Vaseline
Walkie Talkie, solor/battery/crank multi-band radio with USB charger via crank if need be - all sealed in a mylar bag
Rope, duct tape, cable ties
50 round box .380 for carry (half FMJ, half JHP) One clip (in gun, JHP) two extra clips (FMJ)
Two loaded 30 round clips for my AR-22 Ruger (Ruger 10-22, AR platform)
Leatherman multitool and jewelers screwdriver set.
$3 face value silver dimes

Thunder 380 and the Ruger 10-22 (with 25 round clip loaded) slung in case

My wife and daughter know if something happens, they grab my .45, wife's TCP the 22 magnum pump, , extra ammo, the other walkie talkie (in a sealed mylar bag), load 5 extra 5 gallon gas cans, and crank up the 76 GMC Sierra and start driving. Once they drive about 3 hours, they start squawking the walkie talkie every thirty minutes or so.

So how did I do? What did I miss?

sputnik1988 12-20-2012 05:30 AM

Can i ask why socks coated in vaseline?

Also, a rifle of less 'menacing' appearance would be preferable if you had it.

kytowboater 12-20-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988
Can i ask why socks coated in vaseline?

Cold, alone, and lonely? Mans got needs.

Lmao

sputnik1988 12-20-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1058876)
Cold, alone, and lonely? Mans got needs.

Lmao

This is the most awesome post I've seen in a long time. I seriously needed that. LOL

12fretter 12-20-2012 06:04 AM

That was pretty friggin funny!

Just in case the question was serious.... Fire starter.

trip286 12-20-2012 06:41 AM

You'll want lighter fluid for that zippo, even though it's full. They're not airtight and the fluid evaporates. Actually, I wouldn't even bother to fill it unless I'm ready to use it, or think I may end up using it soon.

Also, your extra flint can be stored inner the felt flap if you hadn't realized that.

colmustard 12-20-2012 02:15 PM

Not a bad bag you have there. Also it is good you are prepared, not because of the myan crap. But becuase there might be people who belive it and may act a bit crazy!

HockaLouis 12-21-2012 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you have a Mayan crucifix? If not, you're toast. Now, about the vaseline-infused sock puppet... Hey, who are we to judge? Whatever gets you home!

Actually, my socks have been known to spontaneously combust.

bonney 12-21-2012 06:26 PM

better figure on a mountain bike, or twice as many days,. figure at night, too, or be shot, assuming we are talking shtf. gotta avoid open areas, especially if bright moonlight or snow to help see. So it will be more like 10 miles per night, or less. Better figure on a $200 passive IR monocular, at least, so you can frequently scan 360 degrees for enemies. better figure on concealable body armor, to stop shot pellets, handgun caliber carbines, and .22lr.

bonney 12-21-2012 06:29 PM

oh, how about the gallon or more of SAFE drinking water, EVERY day? how about the 2 lbs of food, minimum, per day, when under heavy stress? how about some sleeping gear, to protect from sun, wind, insects, rain, fog, dew, snow? how about a walking stick and medical kit? Basic needs badly overlooked, man.