Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Sword vs FireArm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3201

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I will confess that I do not understand zombies as well as I should.
I realize that you should shoot them in the head before they eat your brains (or bite you).

But, I was unclear if they could run. Thank gawd for the internet.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071020132321AAjYWby

I probably will stay with firearms and shoot them from a distance when possible.

But a sword on the back would be uber-mall-ninja. . . . and I don't think that is a good thing.
There are 2 types of Zombies - Voodoo and un-dead.

The Voodoo ones aren't fast moving, because their cognitive abilities and gross motor functions aren't working together, as they are being controlled by another person. Also, with these types, the most you'll get from one controller is 2-3.

The un-dead type (28 Days/Weeks Later does not fall into a Zombie category, as they are not the living dead) are slow moving, as their body is in a constant state of decomposition. There are no "super human" abilities with these creatures.

Firearms are probably the better way to go, BUT, there is the slight issue with ammo. Even if you have a base camp, and have a large supply of rounds, that number will continue to deplete monthly. Even if you have a press and the right dies, the components for making the rounds will deplete as well.

Say you do reload....

Are you going to police your brass after every encounter? Doubtful. Too dangerous.

Say you do, where do you get the propellant, and bullets and primers?

Sure, you can cast your own bullets, if you know how, and have the right equipment. But what about primers and propellant?

In a Zombie Apocalypse, firearms should be reserved for absolute emergencies, such as hordes of them and you need to clear a path to escape, or against bad guys trying to steal your supplies and kill you.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

People Like This 
Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #72
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
There are 2 types of Zombies - Voodoo and un-dead.
In a Zombie Apocalypse, firearms should be reserved for absolute emergencies, such as hordes of them and you need to clear a path to escape, or against bad guys trying to steal your supplies and kill you.
Thank you for your input. This helps clear up a few things.
Knowledge is power when faced with this imminent danger

If the sword requires more skill than I care to develop, and if the firearm will be useless when the ammo is depleted, can you suggest a middle ground.

Perhaps a chainsaw attached to a long pole? A quiver full of swords to throw? A bucket of brains sloshed to delay them?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #73

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My wife's ex-husband made me laugh hard. When one of his kids told him I have a gun collection, he said he didn't appreciate me having guns in my house, and that all he needs is a samurai sword. I just said, I don't care if you're bruce lee, if you step foot into my house, you won't get close enough to use a sword, and you can't run faster than a bullet.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #74

Liked 4422 Times on 2145 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Waaaaaay too much thought is going into ^^THIS^^ Z thing.

I enjoy the Walking Dead too but...

Ok, I'll play. There is a very good reason the guns rendered all primitive weapons obsolete...

It not that these weapons were not effective, on the contrary, they were exceedingly effective AND horrific to wield. The reason IS that it took years upon years of training to produce a competent swordsman or bowman.

I've zero training with edged weapons longer than 8" but I know enough to know that swinging a sword is not like swinging a bat.

A better backup weapon is the one your familiar with such as a bat, machete, hatchet, Ect...

Personally, I'd opt for a pair of Mohican style hatchets with spiked pommels as a "latch ditch" weapon system.

Tacks

Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #75
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19508 Times on 11074 Posts
Likes Given: 49130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Ok, I'll play. There is a very good reason the guns rendered all primitive weapons obsolete...

It not that these weapons were not effective, on the contrary, they were exceedingly effective AND horrific to wield. The reason IS that it took years upon years of training to produce a competent swordsman or bowman.

I've zero training with edged weapons longer than 8" but I know enough to know that swinging a sword is not like swinging a bat.

A better backup weapon is the one your familiar with such as a bat, machete, hatchet, Ect...

Personally, I'd opt for a pair of Mohican style hatchets with spiked pommels as a "latch ditch" weapon system.

Tacks
i agree, that if you were forced to use some other weapon than a firearm, use something that is more comfortable and familiar to you. swordplay looks good in the movies, and those who truly are good enough with a sword, didn't learn overnight. it took years to learn to be that good with a sword.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #76

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i agree, that if you were forced to use some other weapon than a firearm, use something that is more comfortable and familiar to you. swordplay looks good in the movies, and those who truly are good enough with a sword, didn't learn overnight. it took years to learn to be that good with a sword.
Ya about 6 years for me. Then again its another one of them things I seem to be a natural at.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #77

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

with millions of zomboids to practice on, what else have you got to do?

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #78

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS

with millions of zomboids to practice on, what else have you got to do?
If I'm around ill teach you guys well maybe not axxe-im afraid he'd cut his own head off
Old 11-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Tacks
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think most people realize just how dangerous an extremely sharp and large edge weapon is? One break in concentration and you just severed your own artery. Most people, including myself, would be just as likely to hurt themselves as an enemy. That was great advice about sticking with something you're familiar with.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #80

Liked 814 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 496

With my luck, I'd just end up whacking them with the flat side of the blade. I'd get my brains eaten for sure, and they'd be laughing while they did it. Do zombies laugh?

Remember the scene in Dawn of the Dead where the cop and the gun shop owner were calling out zombies that looked like celebrities and then shooting them with a rifle? Yeah, more my speed. Unless there is a minigun available.........