Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Sword vs FireArm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Default Sword vs FireArm

as i was watchin Walking Dead the other night (and the episode before), it dawned on me.............if the zombies were thick like @ certain times, say 100 to 4 or 5 peeps, wouldn't super sharps swords be better weapons?

i was actually quite impressed with Michonne's handlin of the katana. it just seemed clear to me what could be a VERY USEFUL tool and defensive weapon.

katana.jpg

with a firearm, you have to pick your shots, and quickly acquire your next target. if you don't make a head/kill shot, then you've wasted ammo.

with a sword, a runnin melee attack can be achieved with little to no accuracy skill involved, and GREAT accomplishment. zombie types that can't walk are pretty much defenseless to a readily mobile non-zombie. runnin thru a group and cuttin off a single leg on each would result in, NOT A DEATH, but a player taken outta the game until you can come back and dispatch them. with little to no effort, runnin attacks could easily clean up 100 or so z-men with few attackers with swords.

what say you?

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-25-2012 at 12:07 AM.
TWMIM Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #2

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

The zombies I have seen sure are not slow. I mean why let them get close when u can pick them off at a couple hundred yards

Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS
as i was watchin Walking Dead the other night (and the episode before), it dawned on me.............if the zombies were thick like @ certain times, say 100 to 4 or 5 peeps, wouldn't super sharps swords be better weapons?

with a firearm, you have to pick your shots, and quickly acquire your next target. if you don't make a head/kill shot, then you've wasted ammo.

with a sword, a runnin melee attack can be achieved with little to no accuracy skill involved, and GREAT accomplishment. zombie types that can't walk are pretty much defenseless to a readily mobile non-zombie. runnin thru a group and cuttin off a single leg on each would result in, NOT A DEATH, but a player taken outta the game until you can come back and dispatch them. with little to no effort, runnin attacks could easily clean up 100 or so z-men with few attackers with swords.

what say you?
Yes it'd work except damn few people have the skill to use a blade in that type of conditions. They would get WAY to close to give you the power to sever a limb
Old 10-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I'd say you never trained with or used a pointed or edged weapon. Significant learned and practiced knowledge, skill and attitude are necessary.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #5

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Dude, handling a sword in the type of scenario your talking about would require stamina on a magnitude that very few people have.

I had that kind of stamina when I was 19 and an active duty Marine, but even then, I didn't have the core or gross motor development in the upper body to do such a thing.

Years of training to get to that point man.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #6

i actually haven't, i only know what i have seen from impractical "research."

mythbusters, deadliest warrior, and the like........not hollywood glamor movies.

i know it is an art of movement and flow. i also know that i have an extended length cane knife that with little effort, will cut thru 1 1/2-inch - 2-inch saplings with little to no effort.

I UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF PRACTICE AND ENDURANCE AND PRECISION KNOW HOW, i am inquisitive of the fact.

i am not referrin to fighting with swords. but practice with use would be a must.

in a "fair fight," against someone my own speed, wits, and knowledge..........i'd get my ASS KICKED! LOL

against z-men, i like to think i could run thru, bob-n-weave, slice a few legs in-two, run and rest. then do it again, takin down several @ a time, leavin them on the ground to crawl around til i could come back and finish the job.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-25-2012 at 01:40 AM.
TWMIM Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #7

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Against actual Hollywood zombies from the past, before those undead bastards started Olympic sprinting, sure, it could be done. Whack two or three, take a smoke break, whack a couple more, drink a beer..

Screw a smoke break.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #8

yeah i was finna say..........YOU QUIT SMOKIN!!!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #9

Liked 600 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

If humans have a hard enough time not getting scratches and cuts in the REAL world, how hard is it gonna be in the Z world?? Remember, one speck of Z blood on so much as a scrape..BAM...your a Zombie.

Mele weapons in a Zombie world=impractical and dangerous.

I'll stick with my guns..just gives you another reason to stock up on ammo. :-)

Old 10-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #10

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=nhlHzYt4xRM

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Mason609 Likes This