Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Sword vs FireArm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/sword-vs-firearm-74986/)

USEBOTHHANDS 10-25-2012 01:01 AM

Sword vs FireArm

1 Attachment(s)
as i was watchin Walking Dead the other night (and the episode before), it dawned on me.............if the zombies were thick like @ certain times, say 100 to 4 or 5 peeps, wouldn't super sharps swords be better weapons?

i was actually quite impressed with Michonne's handlin of the katana. it just seemed clear to me what could be a VERY USEFUL tool and defensive weapon.

Attachment 66304

with a firearm, you have to pick your shots, and quickly acquire your next target. if you don't make a head/kill shot, then you've wasted ammo.

with a sword, a runnin melee attack can be achieved with little to no accuracy skill involved, and GREAT accomplishment. zombie types that can't walk are pretty much defenseless to a readily mobile non-zombie. runnin thru a group and cuttin off a single leg on each would result in, NOT A DEATH, but a player taken outta the game until you can come back and dispatch them. with little to no effort, runnin attacks could easily clean up 100 or so z-men with few attackers with swords.

what say you?

purehavoc 10-25-2012 01:04 AM

:rolleyes:

The zombies I have seen sure are not slow. I mean why let them get close when u can pick them off at a couple hundred yards

Marlinman 10-25-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS
as i was watchin Walking Dead the other night (and the episode before), it dawned on me.............if the zombies were thick like @ certain times, say 100 to 4 or 5 peeps, wouldn't super sharps swords be better weapons?

with a firearm, you have to pick your shots, and quickly acquire your next target. if you don't make a head/kill shot, then you've wasted ammo.

with a sword, a runnin melee attack can be achieved with little to no accuracy skill involved, and GREAT accomplishment. zombie types that can't walk are pretty much defenseless to a readily mobile non-zombie. runnin thru a group and cuttin off a single leg on each would result in, NOT A DEATH, but a player taken outta the game until you can come back and dispatch them. with little to no effort, runnin attacks could easily clean up 100 or so z-men with few attackers with swords.

what say you?

Yes it'd work except damn few people have the skill to use a blade in that type of conditions. They would get WAY to close to give you the power to sever a limb

HockaLouis 10-25-2012 02:11 AM

I'd say you never trained with or used a pointed or edged weapon. Significant learned and practiced knowledge, skill and attitude are necessary.

trip286 10-25-2012 02:35 AM

Dude, handling a sword in the type of scenario your talking about would require stamina on a magnitude that very few people have.

I had that kind of stamina when I was 19 and an active duty Marine, but even then, I didn't have the core or gross motor development in the upper body to do such a thing.

Years of training to get to that point man.

USEBOTHHANDS 10-25-2012 02:37 AM

i actually haven't, i only know what i have seen from impractical "research."

mythbusters, deadliest warrior, and the like........not hollywood glamor movies.

i know it is an art of movement and flow. i also know that i have an extended length cane knife that with little effort, will cut thru 1 1/2-inch - 2-inch saplings with little to no effort.

I UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF PRACTICE AND ENDURANCE AND PRECISION KNOW HOW, i am inquisitive of the fact.

i am not referrin to fighting with swords. but practice with use would be a must.

in a "fair fight," against someone my own speed, wits, and knowledge..........i'd get my ASS KICKED! LOL

against z-men, i like to think i could run thru, bob-n-weave, slice a few legs in-two, run and rest. then do it again, takin down several @ a time, leavin them on the ground to crawl around til i could come back and finish the job.

trip286 10-25-2012 02:40 AM

Against actual Hollywood zombies from the past, before those undead bastards started Olympic sprinting, sure, it could be done. Whack two or three, take a smoke break, whack a couple more, drink a beer.. ;)

Screw a smoke break.

USEBOTHHANDS 10-25-2012 02:41 AM

yeah i was finna say..........YOU QUIT SMOKIN!!! :mad:

kryptar19 10-25-2012 02:56 AM

If humans have a hard enough time not getting scratches and cuts in the REAL world, how hard is it gonna be in the Z world?? Remember, one speck of Z blood on so much as a scrape..BAM...your a Zombie.

Mele weapons in a Zombie world=impractical and dangerous.

I'll stick with my guns..just gives you another reason to stock up on ammo. :-)

dog2000tj 10-25-2012 03:39 AM

........... :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=nhlHzYt4xRM