Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Survival Situation. Would you be willing to.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/survival-situation-would-you-willing-85934/)

MisterMcCool 03-06-2013 10:49 PM

Survival Situation. Would you be willing to....

Assuming the worst case scenario, to what limits would you go to protect yourself and your family?

I cannot imagine a situation that could cause me to abandon my morals or cross my beliefs.

I can see myself becoming flexible in certain circumstances.

There is no line I wouldn't cross to ensure the survival of myself or my family.

orangello 03-06-2013 10:51 PM

Well, let's just say the vegetarian thing would probably go out the window that first winter.

trip286 03-06-2013 10:56 PM

The more fitting question is: what would I not do?

TLuker 03-06-2013 11:12 PM

Protecting yourself and your family is a defensive act. There is no line to cross in a defensive situation. And the only reason one would need to protect his family is because others crossed a line. :)

eatmydust 03-06-2013 11:17 PM

I've contemplated the effect of terror tactics, much like Count Vladimir Drakulya used back in his day. He is now known mythologically as Count Dracula.

He was a defender of the Balkans against the expansionist armies of the Ottoman Empire during the 15th century B.C.
He was known as "Vlad The Impaler", because he would behead his fallen enemies and impale their heads on stakes as a warning to others, not to transgress his borders.

I wrestle with my conscience on whether or not I could use such tactics. But transgressors/looters/attackers have already lost my compassion. I wrestle with the Christian aspects of bodily desecration, even though I know the soul will have departed.

We will probaby have our faith and values tested regularly in a SHTF situation.

I don't know if I'd be willing to.................................

But I have and do contemplate this!!

dango 03-06-2013 11:23 PM

Define Flexibility..!:- Do anything within MY realm of possibility with no harm to those that wish me no harm!

These things I write about is not just stories but a way of (CHOSEN)life.
I will not become what I fight against , just more efficient.!

orangello 03-06-2013 11:30 PM

I'm pretty sure i wouldn't get to the point of eating a cat, but some long pork, well......probably.

MisterMcCool 03-06-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dango
Define Flexibility..!:- Do anything within MY realm of possibility with no harm to those that wish me no harm!

These things I write about is not just stories but a way of (CHOSEN) way of life.
I will not become what I fight against , just more efficient.!

Some people believe some commandments and laws are more important than others. Perhaps you would be willing to steal but not kill. Or eat pork but not lie. The point is you know your everyday values. Would you stick to all of your morals, break some, or do whatever it takes.

sputnik1988 03-06-2013 11:33 PM

I chose option 2 because there are circumstances that I could not bring myself to 'do anything'. Examples being:

#1 I'm not gonna murder somebody in cold blood for their last box of triscuits...

#2. I'm not resorting to cannibalism... Period.

MisterMcCool 03-06-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello
I'm pretty sure i wouldn't get to the point of eating a cat, but some long pork, well......probably.

Long pork? You cannibal. But I am sure I would do the same in an "Alive" or "Donner party" situation. Whatever it takes.