Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival Shelters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Survival Shelters

Does anyone know any good books on how to build a shelter in a survival situation?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #2

See if you can get your hands on a copy of the SAS Handbook. It has a wonderful section on shelter.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:03 PM   #3

Default Good Survival Book

My survival book, "Simple Survival, A Family Outdoors Guide," has a lot of information on shelters, from using what is on hand (tarp, poncho, garbage bags) to the use of natural sources (such as pine boughs, logs, rocks and so on). You can see the book and the list of the chapters here.

The price is very good as well, $14.95 and I have the training, experience and knowledge to provide a good quality book. It was also a silver medal winner from the Military Writers Society of America.

Just a suggestion.

Gary L. Benton
Author of "Simple Survival, A family Outdoors Guide"

Old 08-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #4

Default survival

look up "backwoods magazine" has a lot of adds and suvival in formation

Old 08-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #5

Yes, what kind of shelter are you interested in learning about? Temp, perm-long term, from natural materials, modern technology...can you be more specific?

www.ofagear.com - OFA's On-Line Pro Shop

Fast is fine...but the Jury is Final!

Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #6

Default bug out

I just remember my scout training. We finnaly moved to the country. Found out my neighbor has a shelter sans root celler on the back of the property with lights. I am keeping the brush cut away from the entrance. Tornados are not common here but I hope to know in time to make it. We also just bought a small 2500 watt generator. Read blizzard country. Bob

Old 08-24-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Has anyone ever read about yurts? They seem like clever packable homes.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yurts are cool but they are expensive, bulky, heavy and generally require more than one person to set up.
A Tipi would be a better, if less comfortable, premade shelter.
Some of the yurts that I have seen have been and every bit as comfortable as as a small house.
http://www.yurts.com/

Old 08-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #9

Military issue poncho and some bungee cords...Try these one U.S. Army Survival Manual FM 21-76. Here is a link http://www.equipped.org/fm21-76.htm

Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #10

When most people say, "Survival Shelter" it fall into one of two categories,

1. The 'Oh SH!T' shelter, The plane crashed, lost in the woods on a day trip, or that kind of thing.
This would be making shelter out of indigenous materials with little or no man made products.
This would be covered under 'Field Craft' in the military.

2. The Several Day Stay shelter after a disaster...
Usually lots of man made stuff lying around, you just need to know how to use it.

A 'Storm Cellar' or 'Root Cellar' is about the only type you can solidly count on in a very cold enviroment.
Mother earth makes a good insulator, and a 'Root Cellar' will already have an air circulation vent...
You may want to allow for a heating vent or chemny while you are in the planning stages in cold areas.

Cellars of any kind are prone to flooding.
They simply can't be counted on in flood prone areas, and must be built on ground high enough you can drain your 'Cellar'.

If you intend on doing a 'Dug Out' or 'Root Cellar', then learn to lay blocks...
Blocks are cheap and you can buy a few at a time if money is tight. Mortar mix is cheap and you mix it up a little at a time while you lay blocks.

A hole in the ground with foundation, the foundation concrete is the only large expense you can't get around.
Concrete floor is optional, but if you pour a floor, remember you will need drains!

Around here there are several 'Root cellars' made of old tires.
Tire stacks that are laid like bricks over metal fence posts to keep them straight, and back filled with rammed earth or sand.
Most guys put in a framed out doorway, others just use a piece of hanging conveyor belt for a door...

The 12" to 18" square garden stepping stones are perfect for a floor... Or you can make your own from bags of 'Redy Mix' concrete and a crude mold...

If you get a lot of rain or ground moisture, be sure to shovel in about a foot of rock around the outside wall before back filling!
This will work as a natural drain and keep your storage room from getting too much water or for holding water for very long.
Covered steps are ALWAYS a good idea! Keeps the serious rains from having a freeway into your storage bin!

In either case, keep in mind this is no place for human habitation!
You will NOT be able to keep rodents & insects out, and mold will run rampent...
(Perfect conditions for canned goods!)

If you intend human habitation during an emergency, then you should plan your 'Storm Cellar' or 'Root Cellar' someplace it won't flood, and put in drains to make it more livable.
One might also consider installing posts for hanging hammocks, lights and things you don't want on a cold, damp floor with the insects.

I think I would also buy and store some light colored tarps to hand on the walls, ceilings and lay on the floor.

These would put a barrier between you and the stored food or whatever, reflect light to reduce the need for more illumination, provide some insulation between you and damp walls, and may provide some privacy for hygiene and sanitary functions.
----------------

Temp above ground shelter can be pretty easy to make.
I've been interested in the 4 sheets of plywood ones I've been seeing pop up down south.

Plywood, some posts, plywood long ways in a diamond shape instead of the square shape we're used to, with the posts holding the diamond shape up.

The lying square, the thing would only be 4' tall, but stood on edge in a diamond shape, the ceiling is well above my 6' head.

4x4's in the inside corners of the plywood to give solid attachment points for both the plywood and outside posts.
Screen on both ends for bugs and a hatch way cut in the side for entry.
Tarp for waterproofing the roof or some use tin, or paint and collect rain water from it.

Once you get used to only having the center walk way being flat, it's not too bad to be in!
Slanted walls lend themselves well to benches or bunks, Corner braces or posts are good places to screw in hammocks for sleeping or storage.

The diamond shape lends it self to covered storage under the sleeping area, and the entire thing can be assembled in a day's time.
-------------------

An interesting idea recently presented it's self to me in the form of a friend that was wanting a climate controlled are reasonably secure place to store a gun collection.

He had a 'Wet' basement. Couldn't sore his guns in the basement because of the moisture problems during hard rains...
So,
He purchased and buried a shipping container.
I helped put a stair well in like it was a storm cellar, the seams and cracks were all welded up solid, the entire container was coated with an anti-rust type of rubberized tar looking stuff they use on underground storage tanks, and it was buried next to the house and a deck built over it.

It has a covered stair well, electric, alarm and ventlation connections, humidity control and has a heavy 'Arms Room' type door for security.
I was thinking then, since the entrance is outside the home, virtually invisible, and the container is 20' long and 8' wide, it would make a wonderful 'Fall Out' shelter...