Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival seeds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Survival seeds?

Survival Seeds - The Survival Seed Bank Provides A Lifetime Food Solution For Families.

I don't know what to think, I mean I'm no expert on growing anything except my johnson so I want to know what ya'll think about these "survival seeds." It seems like a scam playing on fear. Maybe not I have not heard of food shortages and who knows how long this site has been up... Anyway I heard about it somewhere and wanted to see some thoughts on it

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I think it is a good idea to have a supply of Non-Hybird seeds. I keep mine each season and dry them for the next

Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Well our family has grown gardens for many of years now. We harvest our own seeds as most of the commercially available seeds have a poor germination rates. Particulary the last near 15 years now. We have winter gardens as well as summer gardens because we like the quality and taste of our own grown veggies and fruits. Yes we have many fruit trees that have been if the ground for many years now. I dont know much about "survival seeds" but I'd be careful about spending much money for these. We do buy limited seeds and starts annually for our gardens of food, but if the quality is, as we've seen for commercial seeds for quite a number of years now, is no better than what esxists now, it might be real dissapointing. Do you grow gardens now?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Why is it when I buy seeds from Home Depot damn near every single one both germinates and grows but when I take a seed out of my store fruit/vegtable and try to germinate it hardly any will?

Do you have to prep dry the seed before trying to germinate it? I usually keep it out for a week before drying, needs more time?

I got a massive garden going this year. Corn, peas, beans, cucumbers, various tomatoes, various peppers. Going to be a harvest.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #5

I have no experience with growing food or raising a garden because I've never had the yard for it but I do want to start once I get space. What are typical rates for seeds?

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Ridiculously cheap. I bought two packs of tomato seeds and each were 59 cents. 25 come in a pack.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #7

From what I am able to understand, most fruits and veggies grown commercially are hybrids, seeds don't reproduce. If you want to belive the Art Bell bunch, the federal gov is behind this. Personnaly, I think commercial growers have found a way to produce large amounts of food AND make home production difficult. This way, we are dependant on HEB and etc.
A home garden will be essential in a SHTF scenario, if you can keep your neighbors and animals out. I find seeds that have not been genetically altered, and keep them from year to year. They do not produce as fast nor as much as the plants you buy from Lowe's etc, but, they produce.
Who knows, after several years of keeping seeds, you may develope a strain of tomato plant that is " native " to your region and, can survive better than the hybrids.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"