Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival Medicine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 897 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Default Survival Medicine

How prepped are you? Can you treat wounds, burns, blast injuries, fractures? Shock? Hypothermia? Animal bite? Is a good trauma/medic kit part of your bug-out-bag? Do you know CPR/BLS (at the least)? What about infections? Do you have antibiotics? How familiar are you with medicinal plants? Hydration management? Can you give an IV?

Do you have good medical handbooks in your kit?

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #2

Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
How prepped are you? Can you treat wounds, burns, blast injuries, fractures? Shock? Hypothermia? Animal bite? Is a good trauma/medic kit part of your bug-out-bag? Do you know CPR/BLS (at the least)? What about infections? Do you have antibiotics? How familiar are you with medicinal plants? Hydration management? Can you give an IV?

Do you have good medical handbooks in your kit?
Depending on severity, blast injuries are among the most severe and difficult to treat, often being limited to comfort care in a field environment. They often include brain trauma, regardless of whether the cranium is disrupted.

At most any level below a hospital setting, fractures are best splinted, then the casualty treated for shock.

Antibiotics can be fraught with problems, particularly penicillin based ones. Others can react adversely with other medicines, and nearly all can create problems if a complete regimen is not given.

By law, IVs can only be prescribed by a doctor, even if it is normal saline. More importantly, it is important to know when and why one gives an IV, and what is given in those situations.

Oh, and yes, my aid bags are stocked and ready to go. Of course, I'm a part time Army Medic. There are several good books on the subject of First Aid. I will double check a couple of titles the next chance I get.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
There are several good books on the subject of First Aid. I will double check a couple of titles the next chance I get.
Please do post what you can recommend, I am very interested.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

Grateful for your input, Doc. I'm suggesting by these questions that professional medical care is not available due to remoteness or catastrophic infrastructure fail. I'm sure some of our military people here have taken the CLC (combat lifesaver course).

I have a pretty basic M3 bag. I'm thinking of upgrading.

What are your thoughts on storable medicines? Don't many prescrip meds have a much longer shelf life than the lables suggest, provided they are stored correctly?

Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This is a very interesting topic.

I do have a lot of first aid/CPR training, but I dont currently have more than a basic first aid kit in my bug out bag.

I'm interested to hear what you guys come up with so I can be prepared.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4466 Times on 2356 Posts
Likes Given: 255

in a true shtf i will be hitting the local vet stockpile at the feed store. dont need to go through doctors and most vet meds are given dosage by weight. while peeps are battling each other at walgreens over cough syrup ill be raiding the feed stores.

most meds dont have terribly long shelf life so stocking them when there are no signs of disaster is a big cost.

living on a ranch growing up i treated lots of animal wounds and my own cuts and scratches with vet grade topical antibiotic creams. they tend to work better than the triple antibiotic that you get at walmart.

i would have no worries about treating my own illnesses wit vet meds if all other sources werent available.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

JonM is spot effing on right here.

The wife and I raise and train horses and are ALWAYS having to doctor, bandage, inject or stitch something. The feed store is a good starting point, they'll have all the bandages, ointments and wound spray, but they don't typically carry the more advanced stuff like suture kits and IV fluids. You'll need a vet supply for that kind of stuff.

So if you happen to be "on the run", stop by and we'll patch you up.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #8

The Special Forces Medical Handbook is a good one to tote along with you if you can locate a recent edition. I get my books on a military base but I'm pretty sure you can get it on-line.

It's also worthwhile to spend 400 or 500 bucks and take an EMT/B course if your local community college offers it. I did it as a refresher but ended up learning new stuff.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
in a true shtf i will be hitting the local vet stockpile at the feed store. dont need to go through doctors and most vet meds are given dosage by weight. while peeps are battling each other at walgreens over cough syrup ill be raiding the feed stores.

most meds dont have terribly long shelf life so stocking them when there are no signs of disaster is a big cost.

living on a ranch growing up i treated lots of animal wounds and my own cuts and scratches with vet grade topical antibiotic creams. they tend to work better than the triple antibiotic that you get at walmart.

i would have no worries about treating my own illnesses wit vet meds if all other sources werent available.
My wife was a vet tech.. She'll be going,"shopping" with me.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
The Special Forces Medical Handbook is a good one to tote along with you if you can locate a recent edition. I get my books on a military base but I'm pretty sure you can get it on-line.

Indeed, Feedstores and Co-ops are very good sources for all your medical supplies, needles and needs, including injectable, as well as, oral antibiotics and other medications. They are much less expensive, but they are not less quality. They are made by the same major pharmaceutical companies that manufacture the people antibiotics and medications. As mentioned, they do need to be diluted and dosed from animal to human wt/dosage.

Here is St-31-91B, U.S. ARMY SPECIAL FORCES MEDICAL HANDBOOK on a PDF file you can download and store on your computer and have on file for reference, or one can print out a specific section to utilize for training and practice.

http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/milmed/sfhandbook-pt1.pdf

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”