Survival Knife Suggestions? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival Knife Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

im a fan of Buck Knives and Case Knives Fixed Blade real sharp good for skinin their 6 in long blade o i could kill someone if i had to with it to

Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
...Ka-bar...
What he said.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

A good carbon steel Bowie. =)

http://thecgacompany.com/

Old 03-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

depends what you plan on using it for honestly. If you plan on it being multi-fuction like for numerous mid-sized knife functions aswell as say..batoning you'll want to go with something quality..which usually means expensive. Ontario Knives makes an RTAK II(which I love), there are also numerous options from Cold Steel, I think it's the Lawman? any of the larger 10"ish bladed versions are good for these kind of uses.

IF - You are planning to carry a hatchet or axe with you...you don't really need something quite so large, a medium sized knife will do you just fine, pick one with the recommendations people here have given you. I'm testing a Bear Grylls one atm, it's..ok for the price I suppose, the Parang was a gigantic disappoint and their marketing it as such was a joke..it's a machete not a true parang, I made one from some stainless steel and it's 10000 times as durable and can be used for batoning though does require a bit more sharpening to keep a decent edge on it as opposed to a high carbon blade.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #15

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Ontario Knife Company Ranger series: decent knives (if you sand the grip corners of the micarta grips particulalry if u have large hands) at a very decent price -- this R-9 (almost a light hatchet) is in my BOB.

On my belt? U have an AR that'll take a bayo!? Coincidently also made by Ontario, the Marine Corp's OKC S3 "Kabar" Bayonet (or their Tanto US Army Special Bayonet) or the new standard US military M-10 "Bowie" bayonet which are actually basic knife steel (making the latter more than a stainless pry bar).

Do not eschew a semi-serrated blade -- if u use knives you'd appreciate how incredibly effefctive they are.

okc-rd-9.jpg   okc-3s.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-10-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

New York State forced me to grind the bayonet lug down on my upper, so that's out.

Serrations can be extremely useful for quickly cutting through tough stuff. They're just more difficult to sharpen, particularly out in the field without the proper tools, than a straight edge.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #17

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll be carrying a good hatchet, so I'm thinking of a 5 or 6 inch blade. So far I'm liking a Ka-Bar Becker or maybe one of the Ka-Bar combat models.
What do you guys think about Gerber?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #18

Liked 1023 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Ontario Knife Company Ranger series: decent knives (if you sand the grip corners of the micarta grips particulalry if u have large hands) at a very decent price -- this R-9 (almost a light hatchet) is in my BOB.

On my belt? U have an AR that'll take a bayo!? Coincidently also made by Ontario, the Marine Corp's OKC S3 "Kabar" Bayonet (or their Tanto US Army Special Bayonet) or the new standard US military M-10 "Bowie" bayonet which are actually basic knife steel (making the latter more than a stainless pry bar).

Do not eschew a semi-serrated blade -- if u use knives you'd appreciate how incredibly effefctive they are.
I have a "fighter" knife from Ontario, its a good knife.

8325_sp6_fighting_knife_medium_.jpg

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I have an Ontario M9 bayonet. Its beefy enough to punch through a car door and the wire cutter is handy. It also fits on my rilfe....for when I run out of ammo, I can stab the zombies inna face from a safe distance

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #20

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo7
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll be carrying a good hatchet, so I'm thinking of a 5 or 6 inch blade. So far I'm liking a Ka-Bar Becker or maybe one of the Ka-Bar combat models.
What do you guys think about Gerber?
Love Gerber. Carried Gerber till i found ColdSteel;-)