the survival kit finally starts coming together...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > the survival kit finally starts coming together...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default the survival kit finally starts coming together...

I have finally started putting together a SHTF kit under the guise of a "disaster preparedness kit" for wife purposes. here's what I got today...

1) coleman propane skillet
2) 6 small coleman propane bottles
3) a sleeping bag for wifey thats rated at 15 below (i already have one)
4) a water purification pump
5) a water purification iodine set
6) fire starting equipment ranging from waterproof matches to one of those things you rub your knife against to make sparks
7) water bottles w/ first aid/survival kits in them including emergency blankets, multi tools, a small saw, utensils, flashlights with batteries
8)emergency candles
9)some self heading meals

keep in mind this is a work in progress and it is just the first step.

my next question is what else do I absolutely need besides a radio?

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"-Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If you're going to use your bug out bag, it's prudent to have a bug-out location in mind. Figure out where you can go to get away from it all when everything goes to s***.

Search the forum for contents of bug-out bags...this has been gone over a few times and many folks have lots of good ideas.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Already got my bugout location (its about 1.5 hrs away by car).

i was thinking about keeping most of my stuff in a large rubbermaid container thats ready to throw in the truck at a moments notice as far as a BOB goes. Although that wont do me much good if im walking.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them"-Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #4

Liked 336 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 31

A compass, map of your bugout area, solid fuel cubes.

Solid fuel cubes help alot when lighting a fire with your spark making thing in damp conditions.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #5

Batteries may not be so easy to find... Grab a few of those hand crank lights and a hand crank radio. During and after hurricane Ike (4 weeks without power) batteries ran out faster than I thought they would. Also since oil lamps tend to be medium size, grab a big spoon or small concave mirror to make your candles more effective. Also a small rollable sleeping mat and a medium sized tarp can both help a lot and both take up minimal space and are rather light weight

And I think that thing you scrape a knife (or any metallic object) over to make a spark is called 'flint' if I'm not mistaken.

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
Already got my bugout location (its about 1.5 hrs away by car).

i was thinking about keeping most of my stuff in a large rubbermaid container thats ready to throw in the truck at a moments notice as far as a BOB goes. Although that wont do me much good if im walking.
Good. Then store what you need to survive at your BoL and keep in your car those things you might need to help you get there.

Don't agonize over whether or not you should pack razor blades and nail clippers. Have all that crap where you'll end up ahead of time. You should have in your car maybe ten gallons of gasoline, a detailed map that could help you get to your BoL if the main roads are impassable, a flashlight, a lighter, a firearm, water, and some warm clothes.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #7

Not necessary for the basic BOB but nice to add at a later time.

Check this out: Brunton Solaris™ 26

I picked this up some time ago at a RV/Boat/Camping show. Didn't pay the price they have on their site (show special was less) and their are other brands considerably less expensive that also work well.

Will charge laptop, cell phone, gps device, radio, I-pod, etc...

Last edited by mrm14; 10-14-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypoonani View Post
And I think that thing you scrape a knife (or any metallic object) over to make a spark is called 'flint' if I'm not mistaken.
THERE WE GO!!! haha

i forgot to mention that the waterbottle/first aid kit's all have compasses in them.

whats the deal with these fuel cubes, im interested.

does anyone recommend any crank radio's/flash lights that are reasonably priced...unlike the 600$ solar panel kit which is sweet but waaay too expensive.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #9

The fuel cubes usually come 12 in a pack and the small ones will burn for approximately 12 to 15 minutes per cube. I have lit fires in damp conditions with these by slicing a small piece or two of a individual cube into my nest of fire starting material. Helps get a good start with damp material. Not so necessary if fire starting material is dry.

I got the pack I have at a REI store. The pack I have has a web site. AGS Brands - Superior products for active lifestyles

Old 10-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9744 Times on 4192 Posts
Likes Given: 1534

Picked up "squeeze" type flashlights at K Mart on clearance for 99 cents. Keep a couple in glove boxes.

Good start for your BOB. Add a couple of disposable space blankets, a roll of 550 cord (parachute cord for all you civilians out there). A pack frame is good- but if money is real tight, hit Wally World for a couple of soft backpacks.

I keep military trioxane ration heating tabs- but I got a REALLY good deal on a case of them. Failing that, did you realize that hand sanitizer (store brand of Purell) is basically napalm?- just based on alcohol insead of gasoline.

Bandaids and stuff for blisters would be good, especially if you do not hike a lot. And a spare pair of cotton athletic sox is very versatile- besides sox, can be used to signal, as gloves, as a bandage, as an emergency sanitary napkin, as a hanky, etc. Put anything that cannot get wet into ziplock bags. They make big ones, ya know.

Throw in a couple of rolls of lifesavers- for morale and quick energy.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.