"Survival Hammer?" - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "Survival Hammer?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My point had nothing to do with the material, and everything to do with the weight.

If, for some reason, my gun's weren't available, and I had to confront a large mammalian threat (say, a wild dog, or a boar, or a crackhead), I'd choose a hammer with a 1.5lb head (not including the handle handle) everytime before I chose a 1.3lb crowbar. The extra mass would make it much more effective at dealing stopping damage (broken limbs, ribs, skulls, and not to mention the temporary stunning effect on muscle from hard blunt trauma).

BTW, I wouldn't want to let you slap me in the face, either, but that doesn't mean I'd go try open-palming a bunch of zombies... .

Old 08-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the Gerber hatchet and the Vmax tomahawk

Old 08-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My Plumb rigging ax (wood handled) didn't last very long as a kindling splitter. Head worked loose, then after re-wedging handle broke. My Vaughn framing hammer (fiberglass) went through 3 seasons of full-on framing crew work, and has since survived 24 years of mistreatment as the main hammer of the household. I've split many 2xs for shim stock with the unsharpened claw, but had never considered it as a survival tool. Huh. Thanks for expanding my brain pan.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:42 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default I agree CA357

Hello all, ron L here - SERE SURPLUS

I agree with CA357, I got an Older Hunson bay hatchet with Much the same design, and for my van BOB,m I bought an older used one and sprayed it OD Green and it's been serving in a duty Role on Camp outs and a a few over night trips to a tree stand I fix up for an old friend here? I find it's light weight, sharp enough to sever limbs, chop, build Rip and more! While I've rolled on to many a Base and or Federal facility, Only the FBI center did want to Hold it while I was working there! One could do far less?

RON

Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 AM   #25

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If your going to go medievil then do it right.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Let me clarify that this is for urban survival. Basically I'd be swapping the edge of an axe with the claw of the hammer. Both a "survival" hatchet and a hammer can drive nails or stakes almost equally well, so that is a moot point. The axe obviously has the ability to easily chop trees and logs for shelter and fire, but that isn't going to be super useful if trying to survive in / get out of a city. The claw, however, while having little chopping and splitting capability, is much more suited to the potental urban requirement of prying open doors / windows, or shifting large objects.

I have a hatchet for my camping gear, but if I had to run out of my apartment on foot right now because zombies were breaking through the door, I'd take the hammer over the hatchet.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #27

Survival Machete. It's best for threats real and imaganary.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #28

I have one of these by my backdoor. just a little splitting maul. for wood. or heads whatever

ETA-i see you said urban. I have no idea then. I thank my lucky stars everynight to live in the country

200px-maul-1.jpg  

Last edited by Jess; 09-01-2009 at 11:10 PM.