"Survival Hammer?" - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

"Survival Hammer?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I like a good drywall hammer. I use it for everything except drywall. It spends most of its life nxt to my wood stove in the garage to split kindling
"Survival Hammer?" - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
For those that don't know, this is a Halligan:

It's about the same length as a standard axe. I believe that Blackhawk! makes a half length Halligan though.

Here you Go Matt! It's good for 100,00 Volts as well.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

For wilderness survival I think the hatchet / hammer heads would be far more useful, as the need to chop and split is greatly increased, while the need to pry is really low. Conversely, for urban survival, the usefulness of a prying tool increases dramatically while the need to chop logs and split wood is comparitively reduced.

So, since I live in an urban area and my emergency BO plans involve trekking part way through my mildly populated city before going through more rural areas to get to my BO Location, I plan for "urban" survival. However, I do have a small camp axe that will likely come along, but in the pack and not on my belt.

As far as that Fubar goes, while the smaller 15" one has the same 2.5lb weight as my hammer, its reach as a last-ditch weapon is several inches shorter.

And the Halligan is sweet, but as I said I want something that could easily be carried miles and miles, but especially something that could be used one-handed. The smaller ones could fit that bill, but they would be much more unweildy as a weapon, I think.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #14

Here's some pics of a crash axe, very versatile and extremely tough. There's also a pry at the end of the handle.

Crash Axe pictures by andywayne - Photobucket

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Last edited by 753X0; 08-05-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I guess Hell's Angels were on the right track after all...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #16

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I like the Vaughan Rigging Ax. I used one years ago framing. I've got one stashed with my BOB stuff.
Yep, thats it. That and a cats paw and your set to go for some carpentery. Good for de limbing and splitting small wood. With a little practice it works as a crude ad. As far as a weapon goes, well, I sure wouldnt want anyone swinging that thing at me. Actually witnissed a guy on the crew, not paying attention while driving a 16 greenie overhead with this same rigging ax, split his forehead wide open. Very nasty wound. Many stiches and fractured his skull in one fell swoop.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post

And the Halligan is sweet, but as I said I want something that could easily be carried miles and miles, but especially something that could be used one-handed. The smaller ones could fit that bill, but they would be much more unweildy as a weapon, I think.
How about a Titanium Prybar/Crowbar ???

JD

Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That crash ax looks pretty good too.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
How about a Titanium Prybar/Crowbar ???

JD
Hmm I'll have to think about it. Off the top of my head it seems that the primary concerns are hammering and its use as weapon. Obviously, it would be difficult to hammer with a round bar. For mild hammering, like tapping stakes into the ground, it wouldn't be a huge deal. But, for "urban" hammering--putting nails into doors and such, I don't think it would do very well. Also, it's light weight would make it quite a bit less effective as a blunt-trauma lethal weapon (the whole thing weighs less than just the head of my hammer, which is still not a lot better than marginal).

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Something like this steel model made of square bar would be better for both hammering and use as a defensive weapon. Still, it weighs the same and, IMO, is less effective at both of those things than a rip hammer (partially due to it's lack of a grip since it isn't primarily designed to strike), yet is not going to be significantly better at prying than the hammer.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Also, it's light weight would make it quite a bit less effective as a blunt-trauma lethal weapon (the whole thing weighs less than just the head of my hammer, which is still not a lot better than marginal).
I got a 100% Titanium Field Knife. How's about you let me take a couple whacks at you with that and see if you still feel the same way about Titanium as a weapon.

JD