"Survival Hammer?"
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

"Survival Hammer?"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default "Survival Hammer?"

I have been doing some research, trying to determine the most useful types of tools for various survival situations. A Rip Hammer is (obviously) capable of hammering quite well, the claw can be used to dig reasonably well (better than a stick or a knife, especially with the handle and the ease with which one could sink the claw into the ground). The claw could be mildly sharpened so that it could be used to split wood or even hack off larger limbs (going at it from more or less one end or the other, as opposed to directly perpendicular) if a hatchet or axe is unavailable. The Hammer can obviously be used reasonably well as a non-lethal (with less forceful blows) or a lethal last-ditch defensive weapon. Finally, it can pry (that's pretty much what it's designed to do).

The first four of those properties could be more useful in wilderness survival, though a small shovel might be better for the things actually needed. A small shovel could obviously dig better, but it could still be used for the mild hammering one wold need for the outdoors (breaking nuts, tapping stakes, etc), and could still be used as a defensive weapon. And, if one edge is sharpened, would likely be better at chopping and splitting than a hammer with a sharpened claw.

However, for urban survival, a hammer could be much more useful at smashing through obstacles (duh) to evade threats or reach resources. Padlocks could be hammered open, glass could be shattered (with relative ease, at least), or even wooden doors or boarded windows could be busted. And the prying side could be used to help open doors without destroying them (or if its too tough to smash through, like a nice wooden or steel door), or pry back a convertible car's window to unlock the door.

Finally, if the tool is kept at one's side all the time, and especially if a small container of nails is kept in the pack or close by, one could easily put a few nails into a door or window (or into some boards over said openings) for reinforcement. That last detail could also be useful in wilderness survival for easily putting together more durable shelters or whatever.

These are the reasons I chose to replace my 20" steel baton with a hammer, because while the baton can do some of these things with mild effectiveness (hammer, for example), it is still primarily a weapon. Conversely, the hammer is a relatively versatile tool. I will probably get something like a pill container to fill with nails.

Oh, this is the hammer I have:
"Survival Hammer?" - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum
The head is 22oz and overall it weighs 2.5lbs.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Lindenwood; 08-04-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Stanley FuBar I think this might be a little better for what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I actually have one of those, but I feel it's a little awkward to use efficiently. It's more along the lines of a fire and rescue tool than a general survival tool. My stepdad actually bought it for himself, and he's a pretty burly guy and even he didn't find it very comfortable to use. Plus, using it with one hand as a weapon would be quite difficult without a good bit of practice taming the momentum.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #4

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

How about a Vaughan Rigging Ax (also known as Rigging builders hatchet)

I have one of these in my camping stuff. Used to use it in my short carpenter career many, many years ago for skip sheeting for wood shingle roofs before they went to comp and tile roofs.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You know Lindenwood, that is a pretty good idea actually. The only thing I have a problem with, and I am in the power industry, is the metal head and tang. It sure could be useful for a lot of things, but a fiberglass tang/shaft sure would prove worth it's less considerable weight in a Live Front or Ground Fault situation....

I remember someone, I believe it was Blackhawk, made an Urban Sledgehammer that had a claw on one side, a big mallet on the other, and the whole thing was protected against electric shock for like 50,000 Volts. I remember it was a couple of hundred dollars though...

I like the idea of the hammer, especially in an urban SHTF situation.

Good thinking outside the box....

JD

Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks! I very seriously looked into fiberglass-handled ones. I tried researching, but I couldn't find any definitive testing showing that the FG handles were as tough as the steel ones (as well as the joint between the head and the handle). I did, however, find lots of anecdotal evidence basically going along with the general believe that an all-steel hammer will be more durable.

I've never seen any hammer's (or axe's) handles break or even come loose. My stepdad has an OOOOLD Mini Sledge with a slightly wobbly head on the wooden handle, but its still holding up to all the pounding it goes through. But, then again, I've never fought zombies or smashed through doors with a hammer, and I figured the few bucks and few ounces I saved would probably not be worth it when I break the head off trying to get to safety behind a door as undead hands grib my neck .

Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

A Halligan and 2.5# beater would be a much better option. Halligans are available through most fire supply houses and serve a large number of purposes.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronguyton View Post
Stanley FuBar I think this might be a little better for what you want.
That's exactly what I've got. There are a few different sizes and probably the smallest would be fine for a BoB.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

For those that don't know, this is a Halligan:

It's about the same length as a standard axe. I believe that Blackhawk! makes a half length Halligan though.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like the Vaughan Rigging Ax. I used one years ago framing. I've got one stashed with my BOB stuff.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams