Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776-1976 View Post
The ultimate shtf survival rifle would be a Ruger 10-22. I know there are many who would disagree so let me explain the reason for it. Not if but when the shtf nobody is going to be able to hold off for very long from there home. Unlike in the movies houses are not bullet proof. Travel by roads will be restricted and fuel will be unavailable. Your only hope for survival will be to get away from the populated areas and make shelter in rural wooded areas. All you will have is what you and your family can carry. This brings us to why the 10-22 is the ultimate survival rifle. One person can carry 2 to 4 bricks of 22lr a long distance without much problem wich means you will have 1000-2000 rounds or more with you. Pick up a 1000 round case of 223, 7.62x39, or whatever your prefered caliber and see how far and fast you can carry it. Another reason for the 10-22 is the 20-50 round high cap mags that are still available. The 10-22 is time tested and dependable and will serve well for hunting small game and protection. I also own several AR's, AK's, and even a Daewoo wich I would much rather carry but if you could only carry only one firearms it should be one you could also carry a good supply of ammo with. If you still choose to carry a more powerful firearm you should atleast carry something that will use the same ammo, mags, and parts as your enemies firearms do so when you have the opportunity you can resupply yourself with what you have taken from them.
\

While your logic is good, and you have valid points, I would disagree for the following reason(s). If you are strictly concerned with food acquisition I would agree - but try putting down some SHTF skinhead wearing body armor who is bent on taking your food. your gun, or your girl , with a .22....I think I'll bust a nut carrying a centerfire semi-auto and 2-300 rounds instead! I would also get a Lee Hand Loader, a pound of powder, several hundred bullet heads and some primers. Reloading is a great past-time, particularly when you have all the time in the world, and not worrying about anything else except your survival. My Ruger 22/45 pistol would serve as a good game getter for food, My scoped AR's in either .223 or .308 would be my long range defensive weapon. A .308 or .223 semi will do everything you need a gun to do and then some. You will never be able to carry enough ammo anyway, so you will always have to re-supply regardless of what caliber gun you bring. I want to know that I can stop a threat with one shot to the torso, instead of having to make a head shot under stress, which is what would be required of a .22.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-21-2008 at 03:43 AM.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #22

Well it seems that the major choice here is a 12 gauge shotgun. Are there any of these that have a high capacity?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, my personal choice for the time being is a good 12ga. I'm not knoking rifles because I leaned towards them for years, but the versatility of the shotgun shells is the deal-maker for me. (and let's be honest who ever only has 1 gun - at least a good sidearm either 9mm, or 22 if you really want the 22).

Now in Canada we have magazine restrictions on all semi-auto centerfire guns so that takes away alot of the advantage (limit 5 rounds per mag now - can you believe it!). But pump/lever-actions have no ammo limits. So does anyone know of any reputable 12ga that's fed by a detachable box magazine!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 10-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #24

I remember my cousin having a Savage 24 as a kid. IIRC, it was 20ga. below and I think 22mag or .223 ontop. I always thought that would be a good (if I had to pick only one) survival gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfatz View Post
One handy gun if mostly for food and stealth might be an old 22LR 3" .410 Savage Model 24 over & under. Pfatz
Retired GS

Old 10-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Survival is a relative term/word. For some people a shotgun or .22 caliber rifle is what they need and it will work for them. In other cases for other people some sort of magazine fed rifle works well. Having been in the military, I prefer a decent magazine fed rifle like an M-4 type clone or a good AK rifle of some sort. But, just in case, I also have a couple of .22 caliber rifles and a couple of shotguns around the house too.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My Ideal Survival Gun

My perfect survival gun is the first one I grab next time I decide I need a gun.
Most likely it will be one of the 3 guns I always carry about my person.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #27

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thought I had replied to this back in 2008....guess not!

I would take my Mini-14. Accurate enough to take small game and still have something to eat (head shot), large enough to take a deer, effective on predators (four legged and two legged)!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Depends on your Survival Situation, as many have stated?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Survival gun"? Hmm, now that opens up the relam to many situations, whats';s it needed for? hordes of the unwashed at your door wanting to take what you and yours have? (AK-47), Need a Little More accuarte and able to work in many other battle Tyle situations and lighter is better? (AR-15 Type)
Big bad Bear at your back door, (338 Lapua)?? I mean come on, state your need, a famous Guide and Tracker had a Plane crash in Rugged Most Alaska, his plane was destroyed and he had to hoof it out!!!! This is a man with a love for 45/70, 7mm magnum and 338, as well as 50 Barrett, his Treck back to Civilization had only 1 gun in the plane (Marlin Model 60 22LR!!!) Now, as him what gun he needed and used for Survival???? Needs for 1 person, are not needs of another? So, unless the need and threat is sort of considered this is a hard question to rspond to and give a informed responce?

I like AK for a Lot of things, Not so much AR-15, but what about the black bear??? No Black Rifle for me on that! 338 Lapua or 50 Barett for General Survival?? madness? Name your need, this is no SWISS ARMY Type Rifle or Firearm for SURVIVAL!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't forget that No-Knock Warrant gun Ron,
My pick is the Saiga 12 Ga with a 30 rd aluminum drum mag

Old 11-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Indeed all sorts of guns can fit the Bill?

Helo all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Indeed, all sorts of guns can fit the particular Survival need? No Knock Warrent folks, well I'd use my 870 with 00 Buck or slugs, and it would be messy! I have no use for that sort of crap!

RON