Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

lol here we go again

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #12

If it is a SHTF then I would go with my AR15 or DSA SA58C Para. If I am lost in the woods and no bad guys A Ruger 10-22 couple high caps a couple factory 10rd mags and an ammo box of 22lr. I like the 12 ga but ammo is heavy to carry.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #13

Depends. In case I have to do long range precise shots I would choose the AW50F. In case I would have to walk/run far and only use the gun in case something/someone attacks me, I would use a light pistol, for example the CZ 85. Always depends on the situation...

Old 04-18-2008, 03:49 AM   #14

Default Survival Weapons Of Choice

Being in the military for a great many years and running sp op's, you had the opportunity to use and train on many weapons from all countries. In there you slected a weapon of choice and in many cases you were assigned a spec weapon for a special purpose on that mission, ie. shotgun to open doors by shooting off the hinges, M-14 with night and day scope for sniping or watching over the team as it went in. Mostly everyone carried a 223 weapon, but some like to carry a back up, like a MP5 or Mini-Uzi, both 9mm. You had to also take in consideration how long the mission was, as ammo got heavy each day and if there was not a engagement to allow you the opporunity to lose a few rounds, that hump bag got heavy. You had other items in the bag, ie. grenades, smoke, frag or flash, Claymore's, C4 and det's, extra linked ammo for squad weapon, extra 40mm rounds, (I liked a M203) radio or Sat Com equip., rations, water canteens, first aid kit, change of clothing, socks, and any extra you wanted to hump. You try to fill out your side pockets and shirt pockets with as much as you can, as this takes weight from the back. You also had a personal side arm. I like the 9mm 92F and at least two carried a 22 Bull Pulp with silencer. I looked at the equipment we had in the Army and what was available on the outside. I knew I needed a 12 gage shotgun, but was not sure which one, but I am leaning to a 870. This will be my close in work weapon. My wife has a 410. I also chose a Mini-14 as this is one of the best weapons out there and one that does not jam or have breakage as some do. Plus it can be made to put some rounds down range in a hurry. A legal addage is the trigger guard, where it allows you to pull back on the trigger as fast as you can, like the Rifleman, giving you a three round burst. You can get these in many gun stores or mags. I also have several 22"s, but feel the 10/22 is the best, with the 25,30,40,50 and 100 round clips. Plus you can get the same trigger guard like the Mini-14 to allow a three round burst. If I had to have a weapon to carry in a hurry to the woods, I guess I would have to say the 10/22 would be my weapon of choice. You can carry more ammo, put out a lot of rounds, plus the hollow points and other rounds can put a deer down, even a bear in a emergency, but I would not want to chance it. With this I would like to have a 357 or 44 mag. Either a Auto Mag or Double action. This would be your heavy weapon. I could go on and on about choices and we all have our own. That would be the best way to for a person to choose. You take what weapon you feel is best for you, look at how much ammo you would be able to carry, plus all other items and I guess the area you will be in and the different animals that are in that area. Plus you would also look at who would be with you and their weapon of choice. You may carry the Mini-14 and your wife the 10/22 and maybe a son a 3030 and a daughter a 410 or 20 gauge. Or you all could carry the same type of caliber and all carry the same ammo. This idea could go on and on, but like I said, it is up to the individual as to what caliber of weapon and ammo to carry. I would like to thank you all for the info on the 870 and other shotguns. You all take care and may GOD bless and watch over you all and your families in the coming storm!
Standingbear

Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #15

if it is a shtf street survial it would either be my ar15 or my ak would have to look at the best case scenario definitely nothing wrong with a good 12 gauge either

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #16

The ultimate shtf survival rifle would be a Ruger 10-22. I know there are many who would disagree so let me explain the reason for it. Not if but when the shtf nobody is going to be able to hold off for very long from there home. Unlike in the movies houses are not bullet proof. Travel by roads will be restricted and fuel will be unavailable. Your only hope for survival will be to get away from the populated areas and make shelter in rural wooded areas. All you will have is what you and your family can carry. This brings us to why the 10-22 is the ultimate survival rifle. One person can carry 2 to 4 bricks of 22lr a long distance without much problem wich means you will have 1000-2000 rounds or more with you. Pick up a 1000 round case of 223, 7.62x39, or whatever your prefered caliber and see how far and fast you can carry it. Another reason for the 10-22 is the 20-50 round high cap mags that are still available. The 10-22 is time tested and dependable and will serve well for hunting small game and protection. I also own several AR's, AK's, and even a Daewoo wich I would much rather carry but if you could only carry only one firearms it should be one you could also carry a good supply of ammo with. If you still choose to carry a more powerful firearm you should atleast carry something that will use the same ammo, mags, and parts as your enemies firearms do so when you have the opportunity you can resupply yourself with what you have taken from them.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #17

I've been buying into that 'Survival' crap for 40 years now!
Ain't seen the 'End of the world' yet...

Hurricane Andrew came close! Didn't need a gun except for when the city vultures came in about the third or fourth day.

If lost in the wildness, I'd have to agree, a 12 Ga. with different kinds of loads.
You can hunt anything from squirrels to bear with a 12 Ga. and suitable rounds.

I have a .223 over/20 Ga. lower that I like a bunch.
Using a .22LR insert in the .223 barrel makes it that much more useful.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A Phase Plasma Rifle in the 9mm range....I'll be back

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #19

Default survival gun

i figure with a good rifle you could "acquire" a shotgun. just kidding. if i could only choose one for all around utility i'd go with 12ga. however i live in a suburban/urban setting, so i'm pretty partial to my AR.

Last edited by coltm4; 05-19-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: bad grammer

Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 PM   #20

Default One Gun?

One handy gun if mostly for food and stealth might be an old 22LR 3" .410 Savage Model 24 over & under.

Pfatz

Retired GS

Last edited by pfatz; 05-20-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: mispelled