Survival gun - Page 14
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post

Lastly, although I am against killing animals in ways that cause them to suffer, I have to admit, if I was in a survival situation and only had a .22lr rifle or pistol with me, and it came down to shooting that whitetail with it or starving to death, that white tail is going to experiance a long labored death. Humane killing is a luxury that cannot be afforded in a real survival situation.
The ACR is an interesting idea, but it won't last.

The one great thing I have always found with small bore shooters the world over is the "Aim Small, Miss Small" mentality in various names/ideals.

When you are shooting a bullet that small, you are aiming for small points in space. And you get good at it because you know you don't have a lot of surface area to deal with on the shot.

A "decent" small bore shooter could do better than a lung shot is all I am saying, based on my interaction with the community.

Keep in mind, modern hunting "no-no's" are allowed in a SHTF situation.

Baiting for example. You mean you can't put a .22lr bullet in the skull of a whitetail that is eating some fresh veggies and unaware of your presence?

C'mon. You guys are better shots than "lungs" broadside at 75 yards, down angle on a feeding deer.

JD

Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #132
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I still say that a good .22 magnum with fmj (solid) bullet loads will do all you ever need to do with 4 legged game unless you're against 2 legged varmints or in bear country. Just shoot edible small game as you normally would with .22LR HP. On bigger game like hogs, deer, etc simply shoot in the cranium. A solid .22 magnum round will penetrate all you need when placed with surgical precision.
And, which "survival gun" in .223 do you recommend?