Survival gun - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
All you hating on the .22 realize that the Israeli security forces use to use a Ruger 10/22 as a "less than lethal" sniper rifle for riot control, but quit using it because they were killing to many people.
Let's try to use some common sense here. They tried using a round capable of killing someone for "less than lethal" purposes. OF COURSE they're going to stop using it. But I assure you, they didn't stop using it because it killed EVERY SINGLE PERSON they shot. It just happened to kill more people than rubber bullets. Big surprise, a .22 killed more people than bean bags

The tricked out 10/22 didn't cost too much to issue, as it doesn't cost more than standard issue weapons. It just cost too much for what it actually is.....an underpowered cartridge for use in combat situations. You're making it out to be like the .22 is the "end all, be all" round, and that it's SO effective yet SO costly that now they just use it for dogs. Let's get real here. Defending the .22 like this is just unreal. This is like the "I can carry more 5.56 than I can carry .308, so the 5.56 is a better round" argument. Only it's "If you shoot someone in the temple, or heart, it will probably kill them instantly....so the .22 is a superior round."

Yes, you can survive on small game such as squirrels and rabbits with a .22. You might even be able to get a fox if you hit it in the right spot. But for actual SURVIVAL, the .22 is a highly inferior round. Surviving in the woods, let's say a bear attacks you. Try defending yourself with a .22. Try getting close enough to a dear or elk without spooking it so that you can achieve an effective hit with the .22. Hunting small game for a day or two, yea I'd take a .22. SURVIVING off the land, not a chance in hell.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf915 View Post
Let's try to use some common sense here. They tried using a round capable of killing someone for "less than lethal" purposes. OF COURSE they're going to stop using it. But I assure you, they didn't stop using it because it killed EVERY SINGLE PERSON they shot. It just happened to kill more people than rubber bullets. Big surprise, a .22 killed more people than bean bags

The tricked out 10/22 didn't cost too much to issue, as it doesn't cost more than standard issue weapons. It just cost too much for what it actually is.....an underpowered cartridge for use in combat situations. You're making it out to be like the .22 is the "end all, be all" round, and that it's SO effective yet SO costly that now they just use it for dogs. Let's get real here. Defending the .22 like this is just unreal. This is like the "I can carry more 5.56 than I can carry .308, so the 5.56 is a better round" argument. Only it's "If you shoot someone in the temple, or heart, it will probably kill them instantly....so the .22 is a superior round."

Yes, you can survive on small game such as squirrels and rabbits with a .22. You might even be able to get a fox if you hit it in the right spot. But for actual SURVIVAL, the .22 is a highly inferior round. Surviving in the woods, let's say a bear attacks you. Try defending yourself with a .22. Try getting close enough to a dear or elk without spooking it so that you can achieve an effective hit with the .22. Hunting small game for a day or two, yea I'd take a .22. SURVIVING off the land, not a chance in hell.
If you can't get within 100 yards of a deer or elk you probably don't have the hunting skills to make it in a survival situation no matter what size game you would be trying to take and if you can't kill a deer or elk with open sites on a ruger 10-22 from a 100 yards out you have no business owning a riffle.
I'm an average shooter and I could pump 10 rounds center mass into an elk in a matter of seconds from that distance. Same would go for two legged game and as far as bears go you're more likely to be struck by lightning than get attacked by a grizzly beer so I'll take my chances

Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #103
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 587

If you hunt with a bow, you will get very close to deer if you want a shot. I killed one elk with my 270 at 70 yards. A moose at 25 yards when I was in Alaska. The last deer I shot with a rifle was at 10 yards. You can get close, especially in wooded areas. Until the recent improvements in shotguns, hunters had to get close. The Inuit used to hunt with 22 Hornets and 222s including polar bears.
A possible alternative would be the 22 mag or the 22 Hornet to keep it light.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 05-31-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:16 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter57 View Post
I'm an average shooter and I could pump 10 rounds center mass into an elk in a matter of seconds from that distance.
Care to be more specific than "a matter of seconds?" Does that mean 3 seconds, or 300 seconds? And I really don't think that 10 rounds of .22 is really enough to bring down an elk. Anyone here remember the cop who hit a guy with 14-16 shots of 9mm COM, and the guy was still standing and firing back? You guys really want to play MacGyver with .22's in the wilderness, be my guest.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #105

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

A major part of the issue here is the wide disparity in opinion of the definition

of the word "survival".

Some want to take a minimalist approach, and "survive" a few hours or days,

in the barest of circumstances.

Others want to live forever, and are looking for a gun that's a cross between

a Sherman Tank, and the Fountain of Youth...

Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #106

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I dont think i would run and grab a .22 by any means, i would grab my moss 500 or my stoeger SxS, i dont think in a SHTF situation the ammo weight for a .22 vs a 12ga would make or break you, its not like you will be fending off hords of whatever, this is not iraq or afghanistan.... i would take a 12ga because you can do anything with it to include reloading anything you want into your shells or whatever fits you best. This is just my opinion but i would feel much more safe with a 12ga by my side and not a squirrel round.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #107

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

No, the .22 isnt the" do all" round. But its not as worthless as you guys make it out to be. I sold a 5-shot semi auto marlin .22 to a buddy of mine, he offered me way more than it was worth. I guess he wanted it because it was the same kind of .22 he took his FIRST deer with.. I guess he must be one hell of a hunter to take his first deer with a 5-shot .22

Personally I prefer something in the .30 cal. range as my "do all" round

Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #108

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If it were one and only one.. a Marlin 22 semi auto rifle

Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjf915 View Post
Care to be more specific than "a matter of seconds?" Does that mean 3 seconds, or 300 seconds? And I really don't think that 10 rounds of .22 is really enough to bring down an elk. Anyone here remember the cop who hit a guy with 14-16 shots of 9mm COM, and the guy was still standing and firing back? You guys really want to play MacGyver with .22's in the wilderness, be my guest.
Just because a 22 won't flatten an elk like a 300 mag will doesn't mean that it won't kill it. you need to realize that if you put a hole threw an animals lungs no matter how big it is IT WILL DIE. I'm guessing you don't bow hunt

this is how it works

poke hole in animals lungs ...........wait for animal to die

this works with a .22 as well...............trust me on this
many many deceased wild hogs down here in Texas would disagree with you

I did like the analogy though. Here is another one about just as relevant

Police: 16-Year-Old Kills 11-Year-Old With BB Gun on MSN Video

Last edited by shooter57; 06-02-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #110

I'm not DISAGREEING with you. I'm not saying that a .22 CAN'T do it. All I'm saying is that the .22, although does have the benefit of being able to carry more ammo, just isn't the kind of round I would want to "survive" on, regardless of what kind of surviving I'm doing.