Survival essentials - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Survival essentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

cant beleive i forgot about fishin line

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 05-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #12

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are trying to attract attention and rescue, I'd make sure you have a mirror, a flashlight, and a loud whistle.

I also wonder if a small magnifying glass would be helpful for starting fires.
Also, what about something for water purification? I think one of those water purification pens might be good. Also a metal cup or bowl for collecting water and cooking might also be helpful.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #13

Default survival essentials

mr falphil, previous postings offer good advice. a few things not listed are one's i'd like to suggest. i quickly scanned these topics, and forgive me if i did not see these items listed. insect repellant like a small bottle of muskol or other brand which is primarily DEET. toothbrush, small (cut a normal one one in half) and travel size toothpaste. soap, liquid, travel size bottle (2oz). emergency thermal blanket (approx 4"x2"xhalf inch) etc. make up an emergency backpack with anything you think is needed. including a baseball hat for sun protection. i apoligize if my suggestions exeed your stated size parameter. i have a personal survival backpack (mil issue ALICE) loaded up for travel. i carry 2 bottles of water @ 2 liters each, a big swiss army knife, some mil type mre (meals ready to eat), and most of the other stuff discussed. jeff.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

All very good survival items and most, if not all were listed, but the best advice I can give you is first pick up anything that will help with water purification, tabs, portable straw units and filters, bleach and charcoal. Second, I do not know what part of the country you live in, but if its anywhere here in the southern states you better have lots of bug dope, Deep Woods Off works and anything with Deet, as mentioned by Jeff. Last thing, as mentioned by BKT, do not limit the size of your survival pack. Make several packs, most people will not be alone and your family will help carry the others, if not, depending on where you are at, there are always pack horses or mules, you can commender, even a big dog can be outfitted to carry.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #15

Alcohol pad's - not only can ya clean up a cut or two they work great for fire making.....A zip-lock bag of dryer lint for the same light and easy to carry......

Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #16

Default water purification

sometimes it helps to hear good info from more than one source. so to confirm what mr igeteven implied, relpenishment of drinkable water is a critical part of survival. water purification tablets are sold in little bottles. these tablets use something like iodine. i have used these in the field, and you can fill a canteen from a stream or pond. the military uses these. secondly, most homes have a hot water heater. this tank may be full of clean water that most persons overlook. mr igeteven also mentions other methods of water purification that i have read about. investigate these also. sorry if you think i'm harping too much on is topic. jeff.

Last edited by jeffware; 07-06-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A folded piece of clear poly takes up no space and can be used for several things including acquiring water by condensation.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"