Survival essentials

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Survival essentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Survival essentials

I am trying to come up with a small, essential survival pack that will fit in 120 C.I, which would be 3x5x8. Here is what I have so far:

multitool
waterproof matches or bic lighter
small light (I like shake-em-ups)
water purification tabs
small bandage assortment
antibiotic ointment
pillbox with analgesic, benadryl, & vitamins
power bar
wire saw
whistle
small compass
collapsible cup or dry condom

At this point, I am running out of room. What else do you think would fit?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #2

Default A suggestion

I have no idea where you intend to store or pack your survival kit, but limiting the size of the kit might be a mistake. I always select the items I think I'll need then find a container, not the other way around. Limiting the gear you take could very well limit your chances for survival. Now, I realize kits have to have some limits, or they'd end up as big as my car, and what I consider important, you may not. But, consider these needs,

1. water
2. shelter
3. first aid
4. fire
5. rescue
6. food (very important in cold weather)

Of course the order of the items could very well change, depending on your skills and the environment you're in. Except in most cases the need for food is very low, when compared to the need for water, shelter or other concerns. Most folks can last 14 days, or longer, without food, but only days without water, unless in hot climates. In the desert, unless you find shelter immediately, you could very well be dead in a few short hours.

I would suggest you try to inclued a metal match (in case your other fire making tools fail. I always have at least two fire sources) and a signal mirror. It does little good to survive, if one cannot attract the attention of rescue teams. And, speaking of signals, remember to place them once your survival site is organized and carry or learn how to signal using natural resources, like snow or pine limbs.

Take care and stay safe in the woods,

Gary

Gary L. Benton
Author of "Simple Survival, A family Outdoors Guide"

Last edited by survival; 07-14-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

You certainly nailed the top six. I would add:
7. Proper clothing for the season
8. Self defense/hunting
9. Navigation (maps, compass, GPS)
10. Communication (at least a crank radio to get news)

Don't limit your survival packs to a specific size. If necessary, assemble packs tailored for different seasons.

Keep the basics with you always -- in your car, office and home.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by survival View Post
ITake care and stay safe in the woods,
Ah, there's the rub. The chances of my needing to survive in the woods is very minimal. I don't live in the woods (unfortunately). I live in the 'burbs and work in the city. I am thinking that if I need a survival kit, that

- it should be unobtrusive so as not to attract attention to itself
- it should enable me to navigate to my pre-established rendezvous point
- it should provide or enable me to acquire sustenance for the period it takes to get to the rendezvous point
- it should contain rudimentary aids to health

I do not count my weapons as part of the kit. Weapons are weapons, and I am always armed. In the city and the 'burbs, shelter is easy to acquire. In my part of the world, I have more to fear from heat than cold.

I like the size of 120 c.i. because I never have a reason to leave it behind. Like guns, big and bulky lends itself to being left behind, depending on circumstance. Small and unobtrusive means you can carry it anywhere. Therefore, I am going to operate within that parameter.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #5

I know this is an old post but I would like to add to your list large thick 30-gallon trash bags. They can be used for shelter; rain gear; shade, food gathering and 4 to 5 take up very little space in your field pack. Get the non-insecticide type because it could effect the food you may gather and if used as temp rain gear when wet may cause an allergic reaction to you. I also like chewing gum and hard candy. The gum if not too sweet will help keep your teeth clean and your mind occupied and the hard candy adds some nutrition and keeps you mouth from getting dry if you have a long way to walk to get to your destination.

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #6

They can be used to make a solar still as well if water is not readily available. It takes several per person to get enough water in hot climate but any water is better than no water.

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #7

I understand FALPHIL states he is looking at more of an urban setting but sometimes things may change. Areas block by communities protecting their turf or areas of cities with a infectious disease where you may have to live in the woods/desert to relocate to a new city or take the long way around an area where you should plan for both types of survival.

I just believe in being prepared for all circumstances if possible.

Have a good one!

Remember:

Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #8

A small roll of 20 guage steel snare wire will come in handy, it's lightweight, multi-use, and can obviously be a source of food.

The wire-saw however, I strongly advise against.
I've had many wire saws made by different companies and all of them seem to break within the first few cuts, they don't make a good snare like they state on the package either as the wire is too thick and it's too short to make an effective snare.

If I were you I'd scrap the wire saw for a good folding saw, Gerber makes an excellent one that is worth the buck you pay for it, although it may take up more space than the wire saw it will definately suit you better.

I also reccommend a firesteel flint starter. They work the best out of any firestarting flint I've used.

But like I said, throw in a roll of snare wire, it's a survival kit must.

ALSO, those foil-looking solar blankets,
take up hardly any room, lightweight and can be used to keep warm, used as a signaling device to reflect sunlight and catch the eye of an aircraft flying above, or a makeshift roof for your shelter, helps keep the rain out
just try not to poke a stick through the plastic planket or it'll leak like a sieve.|

Cheers
Forge

Last edited by ForgeDeath; 05-27-2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: had to add something in

Old 05-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

ive got a small survival kit. mine is a med. sized backpack and it includes
folding shovel, hatchet, two multi tools, waterproof fire sticks, water proof matches, a magnesium fire striker, a lighter, water tabs, eco friendly moist wipes, survival book, surefire flash lights (2) one led one one halogen, (2) belt knives, bino's, 300 ft of thin rope, fruit snacks and granola bars. and soon enough i will add a mess kit with an aluminum or metal cup and a mid priced feild medics kit

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would add a fishing line and a few hooks. Very little space and provides for a large amount of potential food. Lots of bait available with worms, bugs, grasshoppers, etc.