survival books - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > survival books

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Check out When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin its urban survival at its best

I loved it

Old 06-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tappan on Survival, by Mel Tappan

Eating Cheap, by Ragnar Benson

"Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Old 06-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
While not exactly considered as text books on survival, I can recommend some thought provoking reading.

I've read The Stand four times, and own the movie. The book is much better. In doing some research on the book, I learned that King was in part inspired by another post-apocalyptic novel, Swan Song, by Robert McCammon. Swan Song deals with post nuclear war survival. In ordering that one, Amazon.com suggested that I may enjoy Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Hammer is about survival following a comet vs. Earth collision. In all three (Stand, Swan and Hammer) ownership of firearms plays a role in the survival of the main characters. As I said, they are not survival texts, but can get you thinking about some survival scenarios.

Enjoy and like the Scouts, "Be Prepared."
I'll second Lucifer's Hammer. Very good book that takes some unique views of post civilization survival.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 AM   #14

a couple of good first aid and medicine reference books are THE US ARMY SPECIAL FORCES MEDICAL HANDBOOK and COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO
WILDERNESS & TRAVEL MEDICINE
they are both available.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #15

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Good books...

I really like FM21-76, Survival, Evasion, and Escape from the Army. It's an oldie, but goodie. Of course, the only thing I have to survive is unemployment.

Army Survival Tips Might Help You Survive the Recession - Associated Content

I feel better knowing that I'm not behind enemy lines and that people aren't shooting at me. And, if things get worse, I know that I'll be able to make a lean-to, eat bugs, make acorn paste, and determine which way is north. Nothing in there will help you convince your spouse to go camping though...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #16

Quote:
James Wesley Rawles has an Internet blog, "survivalBlog.com." I recommend not only the book, but the Internet site as well for some excellent ideas on survival.
On their website, they have a large list of suggested books here:

http://www.survivalblog.com/bookshelf.html

Also, I would recommend the book "One Second After" really good book. I'm re-reading it right now.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 07-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #17

being a boyscout myself i can say the handbook is wonderfull, and it has so much more than edible plants.