survival books
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > survival books

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default survival books

im curious about what books some of you would recomend as good reads, i came across a few of my old ones today looking through some boxes ive forgotten about and came across the ones ive read a few times. such books are; the us armed forces survival guide, us army survival handbook, the speacial forces endurance techniques-endurance, iq, stress control, memory, and the anarchists cookbook. trying to find new reads, prefferably about edible plants, poisonous plants and medicinal plants

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Be very careful with the Anarchist's Cookbook. Many of the "recipes" have been altered to make them dangerous or non functional. Only someone who knows what they doing will be able to tell the "ingredient" or component that is incorrect and be able to fix it.

The same proves true for civilian reproductions of military manuals.

You might want to check out the Foxfire books and a Boy Scout Handbook. Both have good, practical info. Survival isn't something you read, really. It's something you know.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

While not exactly considered as text books on survival, I can recommend some thought provoking reading.

I am a big fan of Stephen King. In 1978 King published what is arguably his best novel entitled; The Stand, a bio-warfare screw-up, post-apocalyptic novel. In 1990, the book was re-released in it's original, uncut version, which makes it a rather long story. A TV miniseries based on The Stand and scripted by King himself was released in 1994. It is now avalable on DVD.

I've read The Stand four times, and own the movie. The book is much better. In doing some research on the book, I learned that King was in part inspired by another post-apocalyptic novel, Swan Song, by Robert McCammon. Swan Song deals with post nuclear war survival. In ordering that one, Amazon.com suggested that I may enjoy Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Hammer is about survival following a comet vs. Earth collision. In all three (Stand, Swan and Hammer) ownership of firearms plays a role in the survival of the main characters. As I said, they are not survival texts, but can get you thinking about some survival scenarios.

Another novel suggested by Amazon is a book I am presently reading; "Patriots: Surviving The Coming Collapse." This one suggests the world-wide collapse of civilization due to an economic break-down, copy righted in 2006. This one is like reading today's current events.

The author presents the story in novel form, but is combined with real-life survival tactics and techniques. The places in the story are real, centered around Central Idaho. The author, James Wesley Rawles, goes into sometimes painfully detailed descriptions about constructing a fortified retreat for the characters who all contributed to it's building, and assumes that we all have an unlimited amount of funds at our disposal for supplies and equipment. Although dry in some places, this is a very thought provoking read, with a major focus on firearms, military-like small unit tactics and preparedness.

James Wesley Rawles has an Internet blog, "survivalBlog.com." I recommend not only the book, but the Internet site as well for some excellent ideas on survival.

There must be something to it, because on the copyright page it says;
"The making and/or possession of the some of the devices and mixtures described in this novel is possibly illegal in some jurisdictions." It goes on to describe other legal warnings I won't bore you with now.

Enjoy and like the Scouts, "Be Prepared."
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

a couple of good first aid/med reference books are THE US ARMY SPECIAL FORCES MEDICAL HANDBOOK and DITCH MEDICINE. both are available from Paladin Press.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 12-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Be very careful with the Anarchist's Cookbook. Many of the "recipes" have been altered to make them dangerous or non functional. Only someone who knows what they doing will be able to tell the "ingredient" or component that is incorrect and be able to fix it.

The same proves true for civilian reproductions of military manuals.

You might want to check out the Foxfire books and a Boy Scout Handbook. Both have good, practical info. Survival isn't something you read, really. It's something you know.
dont worry matt i dont plan on using the info in the "cookbook" i just obtained it when i was young because i heard it was going to be banned and wanted a copy before it was unavailable, as for the boy scout handbook i havnt read that since i was probly 10 or so. actually forgot all about it. thanks for the info though

Wars begin where u will

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

Old 12-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

the stand was a great read i remember reading it in 7th or the 8th grade for reading class, i remember getting detention because i would read it in my other classes, and the movie really, really long but good as well

Wars begin where u will

Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
dont worry matt i dont plan on using the info in the "cookbook" i just obtained it when i was young because i heard it was going to be banned and wanted a copy before it was unavailable, as for the boy scout handbook i havnt read that since i was probly 10 or so. actually forgot all about it. thanks for the info though
It was banned in the mid to late '70s. The new and improved version is the one with the false information. The false information is the reason that it was re-released and taken off of watch lists.

You might want to look for FM 3-05.70. Don't buy the civilian version. I've seen it for sale in many book stores and it isn't the same as the Army version. The Army version is the beat all, end all survival handbook.

It's quite bulky, but it does have a large section of color photographs of edible animals, plants, fungus and lichens. The photos are arranged by area of the world that they're found in. It also has a similar section of dangerous animals to be aware of and another for medicinal plants.

It carries such useful info as who's feces is safe to consume, how to safely use urine to clean wounds and how to prevent gangrene by turning your wound into a maggot farm.

I had FM 21-76 and gained a lot of info from it. Here is an online version of 3-05.70, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet to verify the source: http://www.equipped.com/fm3-0570.htm

If nothing else, you should be able to request a hard copy of the FM from the Dept. of the Army under the FoIA.

EDIT: I just checked out some of the info in that link. It seems to be good info, but it's very abbreviated. My hard copy of FM 21-76 went into much greater detail and had a lot more pictures.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 12-30-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

yea i knew about the maggot farm, i think that would be freaky feeling but when it comes down to life or death or just losing the body part isay bring on the maggots

Wars begin where u will

Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #9

I know this topic is a little old, but I thought I would add something - the Foxfire books are available for download at Scribd, along with army manuals and many other things...
I think you have to sign up for an account to save them, but a few weeks ago I was able to use:
login: bugmenot
pass: bugmenot

Last edited by CommandoJoe; 05-05-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8692 Times on 3764 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

FWIW, for some time I have been adding to my SHTF LIBRARY. And yes, the Anarchist's Cookbook is a crock.

Foxfires? Yep. Along with Euell Gibbons. Mother Earth Book of Homemade Power. Wilderness Doctor. Several of my military TMs and FMs. Reader's Digest Back to Basics (well worth the buy) Dean Ing's Pulling Through. Guide to preserving food. Audell's Engineers and Mechanic's Guide to Electricity (1904 edition- know how to wind a motor or generator? I do now) Home beer and wine making. 1001 recipes (know how to extract tannic acid to tan a hide?) Gunsmithing, metal working, carpentry, masonry.

I plan to be a VERY indispensable person. And most of these were purchased used for pennies on the dollar.